Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Album Was Your Last with Big 5 or 6 or 7

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    No, I just never explored them. I loved their debut and still do, but never heard their later stuff, exept for some later live stuff with Adrian Belew, which didn't do much for me. I have heard some projekct stuff as well, but that was to far out for my taste.

I know... you traded it to me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Gentle Giant Octopus

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I know... you traded it to me.
    No, that was a live-album. I got rid of the Projekct CD before.

Fly from here.

Return To Forever - The Mothership Returns
    Pink Floyd - Pulse
    Mahavishnu - Adventures in Radioland
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

i "own" all the studio albums by all these bands, having downloaded (legitimately and otherwise) the ones i don't have physical copies of. it's fun to throw them all on iTunes random, to hear songs from unheralded or universally deplored albums (here's looking at you, Love Beach) recontextualized betwixt monoliths like "heart of the sunrise" and "supper's ready"

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Has this happened to you ...
    Not really. Even if some later albums are less interesting, I'm always hopeful that any future albums will be better and sometimes they are. That doesn't mean that I will buy anything regardless of reviews though.

The Band - The last waltz (actually the first album I had by them)

Nektar - Magic is a child
    Kansas - Two for the show

If the Band, Kansas and Nektar are in first 5, 6 or 7, it's a bit unusual list.

ELP - I never bothered with anything after Works I & II. Not among the worst albums I've heard, for sure, but definitely ones that killed my curioisity regarding the band's subsequent output.

Edit: Actually, that's a lie. I got ELPowell at some point because I found it used for really cheap. It sucked.

Jethro Tull - I've bought quite a few of their lesser albums, but ultimately I think they're a band I don't really love outside of their major works. I'm still missing some of their '70s albums (Warchild and Too Old to Rock & Roll, off the top of my head), and almost everything from the late '80s onward.

Pink Floyd - They were my first prog band, so I kept buying their albums for longer than I would have as a more experienced listener, but I never bothered with The Delicate Sound of Thunder (despite my fondness for the cover/title) or Pulse. Post-Waters Floyd never really did it for me.

Yes - Still missing a few of their '80s-'90s albums, but considering the level of quality of the albums from that era I have heard, I've never felt too strongly compelled to fill in the gaps. Also for whatever reason I still haven't heard Yessongs.

King Crimson - Haha, um, there are still a few ProjeKcts albums and a lot of misc. live releases I'm missing, and I haven't heard any of the 40th anniversary remasters yet. I got into King Crimson when the 30th anniversary remasters were coming out and bought most of their catalog then. I'm curious about the new Larks' Tongues remaster and check DGM Live every now and then in case there's a concert that has something really fantastic to offer, but I've mostly moved on from King Crimson.

Edit: Oh, and, of course, I don't have A Scarcity of Miracles yet. The elevator music-sounding samples discouraged me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abob Lyndsae View Post

Edit: Oh, and, of course, I don't have A Scarcity of Miracles yet. The elevator music-sounding samples discouraged me.
    That's ok it's not a KC album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Pink Floyd - Pulse
    Genesis - Live Over Europe
    Yes - Magnification
    Camel - A Nod and a Wink. I am very late to the party and have only 5 of their albums. I'm planning on fixing that. I don't know how I missed them for 30 years
    ELP and King Crimson have only a couple of albums each and their box sets. I have jumped off and got back on the bandwagon with both of these groups
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.

ah yes... forgot these guys...

King Crimson - The Power to Believe
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Genesis - stuck with 'em to the end

ELP - Works 2

King Crimson - Discipline

Yes - Drama

Gentle Giant - Interview

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Abob Lyndsae View Post
    ELP - I never bothered with anything after Works I & II. Not among the worst albums I've heard, for sure, but definitely ones that killed my curioisity regarding the band's subsequent output.

Edit: Actually, that's a lie. I got ELPowell at some point because I found it used for really cheap. It sucked.
    Actually I did buy ELPowell, because it was much better than anything after BSS... and one of the better mainstream 80's prog albums with Supertyramp's Brother (out that same year, if memory serves).... And it's (ELPowell) not so bad ... but I didn't keep the album in my transatlantic move, and didn't rebuy it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    If the Band, Kansas and Nektar are in first 5, 6 or 7, it's a bit unusual list.
    I'm a bit unusual. I don't care that much for big 5, 6, 7 or whatever.

Interesting question. A pattern is emerging and it's similar for me, but for what it's worth:

ELP - Works Vol 1
    Yes - Going for the one
    Genesis - And then there were three

I think there's a version of the 'Peter Principle' operating with these three for me in that these albums are all the one after the last one I really liked i.e. BSS, Relayer and W&W.

I was never a huge fan of Tull or GG but ran out of steam after Heavy Horses and The Missing Piece respectively.

With Crimson and Van der Graaf it never/hasn't happenned (yet). None of the later KC albums match the glories of the sequence ending with Red for me but I've continued to find them interesting; and after a near 30 year break, VDGG are continuing to plow their unique furrow. I doubt we'll ever hear another Pawn Hearts or Godbluff but I've bought, enjoyed and found something new in all the reunion albums.
    Last edited by Gordon; 09-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Genesis - And then there were three...
    Peter Gabriel - US
    Yes - Talk
    King Crimson - The Construkction of light (the worst EVER of all prog records I own)
    VDGG - The quiet zone...
    ELP - Works 1
    Gentle Giant - Missing Piece (but I like Civilian, a lot)
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Joni Mitchell - Chalk mark...
    Who - It's hard
    Wheater Report - Mr Gone
    Madonna - since she born....