Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack 'O The Clock (great avantprog you do not want to miss out)

I love bandcamp.

Great expections? Never great enough with these guys! Just listened once, and do not be surprised when you suddenly realise that this is better than Part I.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I love bandcamp.

Great expections? Never great enough with these guys! Just listened once, and do not be surprised when you suddenly realise that this is better than Part I.

I think you may be right. Part 2 is really fantastic. Listened to it three times today.

Great to hear studio versions of a few songs that they played at ProgDay in 2015...Guru On The Road, I'm Afraid Of Fucking The Whole Thing Up, and A Sick Boy.
    Last edited by mike_hunt; 06-02-2018 at 02:41 AM.

I never ceased to be amazed how demanding but at the same time relaxing and entertaining this band is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    ...even if there is at least one long and intricate track that was written in 2011, that was played live at the time and that Damon Waitkus didn't wanted to record until now because he considered it too complicated
    You have to be referring to Miracle Car Wash. I have only listened to All My Friends and Repetitions I, and among these albums, Miracle Car Wash is the best thing they ever wrote. It's like their own Living In the Heart of the Beast. Who is writing music like this anymore? A hard to believe composition that not only sums up what the band is about, but maybe points to an even brighter future (heavier? "proggier"?)

Yes, they truly nailed it this time. They simultaneously managed to evolve their sound, to refine it and also make it more accessible.

I understand it was difficult to get these guys out to ProgDay a few years ago, but on the strength of these last two albums I would be thrilled if Michael and team could get them to come back. They were very enjoyable live, and it would be great to hear them perform more of this new material at ProgDay.

Good Day Folks ~

I will second that suggestion Gerhard!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Really great music and playing. The solo vocals are tough to get used to, but I imagine I will given the strength of the rest of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    You have to be referring to Miracle Car Wash. I have only listened to All My Friends and Repetitions I, and among these albums, Miracle Car Wash is the best thing they ever wrote. It's like their own Living In the Heart of the Beast. Who is writing music like this anymore? A hard to believe composition that not only sums up what the band is about, but maybe points to an even brighter future (heavier? "proggier"?)
    Yes, it's Miracle Car Wash, and yes, it's one of their best song, on par with Old friend in a hole. That being said, Damon Waitkus said that he didn't write in this style anymore, so I'm not sure it's an indication of the future of the band... On the other hand, Errol At Twenty-three , while shorter, is also really intricate formally and rhythmically, and Into the Fireplace is heavier/"proggier" than what we're used to with Jack O'the clock. Even the instrumental section from I'm Afraid of Fucking the Whole Thing Up is full of time signature changes, so I don't know.

But yeah, Repetitions II is probably their best album.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    That being said, Damon Waitkus said that he didn't write in this style anymore.
    It doesn't matter. This is so convincing and adequate that more is not needed.

I've shared this on Facebook and I've got at least 3 people raving about it. So that's a good start for the best band on the planet - on this godforsaken planet -- in this remote part of the planet.

Going through this a second time now but in one ear (hi, work!)...initial impressions are that i think Part I had a bit more memorable and better written material but i dig this one too...it's a bit more spacey and by the same token busy...but the busier parts i don't like as much.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 06-08-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Going through this a second time now but in one ear (hi, work!)...initial impressions are that i think Part I had a bit more memorable and better written material but i dig this one too...it's a bit more spacey and by the same token busy...but the busier parts i don't like as much.
    Um, probably cause you're only hearing half of it ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I understand it was difficult to get these guys out to ProgDay a few years ago, but on the strength of these last two albums I would be thrilled if Michael and team could get them to come back. They were very enjoyable live, and it would be great to hear them perform more of this new material at ProgDay.
    YES. Bring back JoTC!!

I wasn't that fond of the track that was posted on PE way back when, when they were first propped. However, subsequent postings have brought me around, and their latest 2 CDs have arrived here. I haven't listened yet, but I may be on the bus shortly.

Hi all!

Thought you might like to check out my new podcast with Damon Waitkus of Jack o the Clock.

Please subscribe if you enjoy it!

Just listened last night to Ian's podcast of his conversation with Damon Waitkus. If you're interested in the band, and particularly the last record, then you should check it out.

I own three albums (CDs) by this band, and the music is generally great but I still struggle with Damon's lead vocals. I don't mean to imply that he isn't a good vocalist with a unique voice, because he is and he has one, but its a bit of a rough go for me. I have not purchased the latest two albums basically because of this.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

New album is wonderful! Miracle Car Wash is indeed one of their greatest songs. I love how they use car horns as a part of the music!

As a whole I however think that Old City I (their best album) is little better than the "seguel".
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Still struggling with the new one, and definitely prefer Part I, at this stage. I'll keep spinning. Miracle Car Wash is cool, but someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the new has little in the way of memorable melodies, and I'd have to agree, at this point.

niel

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Still struggling with the new one, and definitely prefer Part I, at this stage. I'll keep spinning. Miracle Car Wash is cool, but someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the new has little in the way of memorable melodies, and I'd have to agree, at this point.

niel
    Hmm... I think that there is lots of great melodies. Not that I can really remember them later because they are quite complicated but when actually listening the album they are great!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I am also in the good_album_but_not_as_good_as_the_previous_one-camp.

But then again; they set the bar ridicilously high for themselves with pt 1.

I am in the best-album-ever minority camp. Not necessarily for "objective" reasons, but on the level of overall atmosphere. The small tracks work wonders. Magic - this is a very deep work.

I think we all understand the possible reservations for Damon's voice, although I don't share them. In Repetitions part II his voice sounds to me warmer, and less dominant on the final result.

Which album would you recommend for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    My favorites are "repetitions of the old city part 1" and "how are we doing and who will tell us?". The latter is probably just a bit more accesible so I would start with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Repetitions Part 1 or All My Friends Are Dead. The latter is arguably their most varied release overall, but the former has more - uh - "progressive" sting to it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM