Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Recommended Sampler 1982 (25th Ann. Edition)

I second the "Music & Rhythm" recommendation. For 1982, it was a marvelous, great thing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I could NOT agree more.

Faves on this: Art Bears, Henry Cow, Picchio dal Pozzo, Heiner Goebbels, Conventum, Univers Zero, Feliu Gasull (for goodness' sake check out his incredible album with Joan Albert Amargòs), The Muffins, Black Sheep and - donning one of my fave songs of all time - Stormy Six.
    The Feliu Gasull piece is also on his solo album Punta Turment, along with some other pieces by this trio. Plus other more modern classical pieces. I second that you should check out the album "Feliu i Joan Albert". The last piece on that album is backed by Joan Alberts group Musica Urbana, which is also highly recommended. Spanish avantprog with tints of jazz-rock and Spanish folk/flamenco influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Yeah that Music & rhythm was also a fantastic release and a revelation
    also came out at the same time 82
    Mna the first time I heard the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan track my jaw dropped to the floor
    later when I went to study in the UK I was fortunate to attend WOMAD 85 and see him perform an allnight show - one of the very best experiences of my life
    another great compilation Gabriel did was Passion Sources - Highly Recommended
    Guess I need to order the sampler.
    The WOMAD album was a real eye opener for me.
    I did get to see one of the later WOMAD shows 1994. Not as diverse of a performer lineup.
    I did get to see Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in 1996 at Warner Theater.
    A sort of strange scene for me. I was asked by several people why I was there.
    Most thought it had something to do with Dead Man Walking.
    Got quizzical looks when I told them I had been a fan since the early '80's.
    A very high energy show, especially when fans were 'making it rain' towards the end of the performance.
    Glad I saw it.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I loved the little subscription sampler CD that came with the remastered album. Nice touch! Not to go off tangent, but does anyone know the state of play with the Cassiber box set? All seems quiet from ReR on this.

"Are there any other sampler albums someone would recommend?" (Originally Posted by hippypants)

There is an interesting French sampler from Laurent Thibault's Theleme label. It was a double LP released in 1971 : Puissance 13&2 with mainly French bands Magma (an early version of MDK),Ergo Sum, Catharsis, Catherine Ribeiro among others. Musea released in on CD with two bonus tracks.

Tracklist:
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Puiss...elease/1881803

and Morgan Fisher's Miniatures, which is not a really a sampler, but a work on it's own
    Last edited by alucard; 08-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Sorry for hijacking the Recommended Sampler thread but

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I second the "Music & Rhythm" recommendation. For 1982, it was a marvelous, great thing.
    Amen
    The Nusrat track changed my life (seriously !)
    Check this amazing amazing music
    https://soundcloud.com/gingers-studi...-azli-chamikia

That Gabriel track -Acros The River with Stewart Copeland and L.Shankar !

And
    My initiation to African master drumming !

hey Udi

Nice to see that Music & Rhythm affected you so positively too!

I dig Nusrat. but my heart always belonged to the Sabri Brothers, who I discovered from a Nonesuch Explorer's album that is great. They also have a CD on Real World.

I think this is from the same tour I saw in 1990 or so:

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Another alltime fav from that one was Holger Czukay Persian Love - that one blew my mind too - what a lovely track LOVE it
    Lets not forget XTC It's Nearly Africa that was nice too

chalkpie
    I guess if I had to pick a least favorite track from the sampler it would be the Art Zoyd one. It's cool but those guys always left me at less than half mast. Is it me or did the drummer forget to show up? Maybe I'll get it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guess I need to buy this, huh?

I'd say that it depends on how much you already know in that compilation... From what this thread's told me so far, there isn't that much point for me to acquire it today!!!..

To be honest, had i bought this in the mid-!à's, I probably wouldn't have liked it, because I wasn"t ready fior this kind of stuff... So a big WTF might have been my first reaction, and most likely after a second listen, get rid of it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazcrim View Post
    I loved the little subscription sampler CD that came with the remastered album. Nice touch! Not to go off tangent, but does anyone know the state of play with the Cassiber box set? All seems quiet from ReR on this.

re: CASSIBER BOX - Barring any further catastrophe, subscribers should be getting theirs in September, general sales/retail in November (barely in time for X-mas).

Ordered the sampler, website says "free shipping to America." Got an e-mail telling me if I want it I'll have to spend $31 USD onsite because of the shipping costs so I cancelled the order. Sucks for me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Ordered the sampler, website says "free shipping to America." Got an e-mail telling me if I want it I'll have to spend $31 USD onsite because of the shipping costs so I cancelled the order. Sucks for me I guess.
    The sampler is cheap because it is on sale, the condition of the sale is that you must order at least four sale items which comes to 20 pounds = $31. Not a bad price for 4 cds if you ask me.

This page lists all the sale items

http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merch...=SPECIALOFFERS

Thanks for posting the list, really nothing there that tickles my fancy, I'll have to do without.

Guitar Solos II and Guitar Solos III collections put together by Fred Frith are quite nice. I actually don't remember much about the third album, but it has tracks from Henry Kaiser, Eugene Chadbourne, Keith Rowe and Davey Williams, so I'm thinking it's got to have something going for it.

Vol. 2 though was the disc where I first heard Frith (I think), Derek Bailey and Hans Reichel (for sure) after reading about them in Guitar Player for several years. It's the only place I've ever heard GF Fitzgerald.

If you like "outside" solo guitar music, you might look for these.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    hey Udi

Nice to see that Music & Rhythm affected you so positively too!

I dig Nusrat. but my heart always belonged to the Sabri Brothers, who I discovered from a Nonesuch Explorer's album that is great. They also have a CD on Real World.

I think this is from the same tour I saw in 1990 or so:

yeah, man, totally. i remember when I heard that Gulam Farid passed away. A voice so stunning, so powerful, so passionate. and now gone,

The album they did on real world is fantastic---particularly the 20 min version of Saquia Aur Pila.

Totally. Fucking. Mindblowing. This. I'm not religious and generally pay no attention to lyrics, but when the epiphany moment arrives here (saas mera nabhi, nabhi bole!---"breath of my prophet, my prophet speaks!"), its completely one of the most powerful things in music Ive ever heard.

Last edited by N_Singh; 08-10-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    The Feliu Gasull piece is also on his solo album Punta Turment, along with some other pieces by this trio. Plus other more modern classical pieces. I second that you should check out the album "Feliu i Joan Albert". The last piece on that album is backed by Joan Alberts group Musica Urbana, which is also highly recommended. Spanish avantprog with tints of jazz-rock and Spanish folk/flamenco influences.
    Absolutely!

Ridiculously great imo.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Vol. 2 though was the disc where I first heard Frith (I think), Derek Bailey and Hans Reichel (for sure) after reading about them in Guitar Player for several years. It's the only place I've ever heard GF Fitzgerald.
    I actually fount the Mouseproof album - on vinyl, the original - this summer and quite obviously spent the locally demanded 30 quid on it. And MAN, that's a wonder of a record! Folky, freaky avant-singer/songwriter's guitar'ish heaven... Like John Fahey backed by Hatfield or something. File next to stuff like Bruce Palmer's The Cycle is Complete.

I so wish for that initial Radar Favourites demo to resurface some day, although I bet it won't.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Speaking of G.F. Fitzgerald's record Mouseproof(a wonderful cd and a wonderful discovery for me),here's a track i love from Mouseproof.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Are there any other sampler albums someone would recommend?[/URL]
    LAFMS(Los Angeles Free Music Society) was a ragtag loose coalition of left coast musicians who were interested in outsider music, inspired by Zappa,Beefheart,free jazz, certain aspects of 20th century electronic music etc.There are two samplers i have that give a good introduction to LAFMS.

"Unboxed" and "I.D.Art #2" are both still available,as far as i know.I'd get Unboxed if you're gonna get only one.Mucho tasty, demented stuff lay within.

http://www.lafms.com/content/va-unboxed-cd
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

chalkpie
    Love this thread. Well it's a nice second to my favorites like what Marvel Comics character does Mike Portnoy have on his undies?

Hey Portnoy - eat my ass and get on this thread and join in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Own any ReR albums do you???

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    LAFMS(Los Angeles Free Music Society) was a ragtag loose coalition of left coast musicians who were interested in outsider music, inspired by Zappa,Beefheart,free jazz, certain aspects of 20th century electronic music etc.There are two samplers i have that give a good introduction to LAFMS.

"Unboxed" and "I.D.Art #2" are both still available,as far as i know.I'd get Unboxed if you're gonna get only one.Mucho tasty, demented stuff lay within.

http://www.lafms.com/content/va-unboxed-cd
    That sounds stunning Sir Walter of Dissonant Woode

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hey Portnoy - eat my ass [...] Own any ReR albums do you?
    Since Mike's no slouch, I betcha he's got the Josef Krcek Raab and ZNR's Barricades 3 and listens to them contantly.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A couple of samplers I've liked. All are only on vinyl as far as I know. Since I don't change a turntable I haven't heard these in a while.

Irrepressible Impulses. A "free jazz" sampler from 1972. Appearing are John & Alice Coltrane, Ahmad Jamal, Archie Shepp,Milt Jackson.. I used to play the heck out of this. On the cover it says "A potpourri of energized tracks designed to satisfy your insatiable need for growth music." Right on!!

Kosmische Musik. The Ohr sampler with Popol Vuh, Ash Ra Tempel,Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream.

And two time capsules. The 1969 Warner/Reprise Songbook and The 1969 Warner-Reprise Record Show. 2 double LPs with music by Theodore Bikel, The Fugs, Mothers of Invention, David Blue, Joni, Wild Man Fischer... Cool artwork and pages of liner notes.
    Last edited by philsunset; 08-11-2013 at 01:46 PM.

If there can be 29 Yes threads at any one given time, what's two measly Recommended Sampler threads amongst friends?

Yes Aaron, this is the album I told you about
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson