Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot CDs In A Car

Hot CDs In A Car

I know that it is a little weird, but I keep about 20-30 CDs in a small box on the floor of the passenger side of my car, which is filled with CDs that I just bought that I am working on listening to while I drive. Normally, I am not too worried about the safety of the CDs, temperature wise. However, Summer is here. When I am leaving work at 5pm, I find that all the CDs are very hot. However, when I play any of them they play just fine. How bad is it on my CDs to treat them this way? The CDs really do always play fine, no matter how hot!! Advice, please. Any stories to tell?

Library Jon
    Last edited by Library Jon; 07-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Banned
    I'd just be careful about exposing them to extreme heat. HOW you store them should make the difference. Don't leave them exposed. CD's can actually warp, which will cause an even bigger problem when they jam in your player.

Well, I do keep them out of direct sunlight, in their cases, and covered by a jacket that I keep in my car. It really has been 100 degrees lately here in New Jersey, yet my CDs just aren't having any problems.

Library Jon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Well, I do keep them out of direct sunlight, in their cases, and covered by a jacket that I keep in my car. It really has been 100 degrees lately here in New Jersey, yet my CDs just aren't having any problems.

Library Jon
    Then don't worry about it.

I've never been able to damage a cd due to heat, and temps get over 100 here. Doesn't mean it can't be done but they're pretty tough.

I'd suggest burning copies of your CDs for use in the car. That's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post

Library Jon
    you're doi ng it about right IMHO... I'd probably hide them under the passenger seat for better heat (and theft) protection

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I've never been able to damage a cd due to heat, and temps get over 100 here. Doesn't mean it can't be done but they're pretty tough.
    yup, although I'm careful, I never damaged on in the car... even if I don't always have time to stick them back in their case right away

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I'd suggest burning copies of your CDs for use in the car. That's what I do.
    Actually, I wouldn't do that, if you're going to leave them in the car for 1/2 weeks or so... CD-rs are much more sensible to heat and sunlight, precisely because they've burned (not engraved)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I read an article that stated cd's will not begin to warp until the temperature reaches +/- 300 degrees F.

The actual ISO TC 171/SC stats for CD-Rs call for an operating temperature range of +5C to 20C (41F to 68F) with a maximum temperature gradiant (change) of 4C (7F) per hour.

For manufactured CDs the range is -10C to 23C (14F to 73F) with no maximum gradiant.

100F is out of recommendation for both.
    http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/....ide.pdf‎

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Well yeah, but those are engineer CYA numbers. They can't guarantee anything at those temps but in reality cds seems to hold up ok at some pretty severe temperatures...

I usually have a few CDs in my car but normally I just make CDrs and leave the CDs at home. Even in "winter" our cars are ovens on wheels down here. I've never had a CD (not a CDr) go bad in my car but I'd rather not take a chance. A CDr goes bad, I toss it.

Yeah, I burn CD-Rs for the car, too. Most "go bad" after about a year, but then I just re-burn them.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

When I was a kid, I left a bunch of 45 records on the floor of my room. When I got home from school, the hot sun had come in the window and warped and melted them all.

I was very upset and I ran, crying profusely, to get my mother. But rather than comfort me, my mother said, "That's what happens when you don't clean up your records when you're done with them."

Thank you for reminding me of this incredibly painful story.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    When I was a kid, I left a bunch of 45 records on the floor of my room. When I got home from school, the hot sun had come in the window and warped and melted them all.
    I bought DSOTM on the day of it's release with my hard earned paper route money. I was not quite 15. My younger brother was invited to a birthday party that same day and begged me to lend him the record to take along with him. I didn't want to let him, but my Dad pretty much made me do it. So on the way to his thing, my knucleheaded bro puts the album under the rear window of the car. You can guess the rest. I guilted my Dad into taking me back to the record store and getting another copy with my brother's allowance. So, I owned two copies of the fucking thing on day one. Two sets of posters and stickers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't do that, if you're going to leave them in the car for 1/2 weeks or so... CD-rs are much more sensible to heat and sunlight, precisely because they've burned (not engraved)
    The way I see it, CD-Rs are expendable, while my original discs aren't. I'll take my chances. :-)
    Last edited by zombywoof; 07-25-2013 at 01:43 AM.

The actual ISO TC 171/SC stats for CD-Rs call for an operating temperature range of +5C to 20C (41F to 68F) with a maximum temperature gradiant (change) of 4C (7F) per hour.

For manufactured CDs the range is -10C to 23C (14F to 73F) with no maximum gradiant.

smh

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd probably hide them under the passenger seat for better heat (and theft) protection
    A slighly off-topic, amusing story...

About 15 years ago my car was broken into. In addition to a few car parts, they stole my sunglasses, loose change, and my phone charger. I had about 20 CDs in the car. They took the three or four mainstream CDS I had and left all my prog CDs. I guess they didn't like my taste in music.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

But the OP isn't talking about operating temperatures, unless he drives around with a car interior that's around 100 degrees F. Still, interesting to see those stats!

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    I bought DSOTM on the day of it's release with my hard earned paper route money. I was not quite 15. My younger brother was invited to a birthday party that same day and begged me to lend him the record to take along with him. I didn't want to let him, but my Dad pretty much made me do it. So on the way to his thing, my knucleheaded bro puts the album under the rear window of the car. You can guess the rest. I guilted my Dad into taking me back to the record store and getting another copy with my brother's allowance. So, I owned two copies of the fucking thing on day one. Two sets of posters and stickers, too.
    Way back around 1980, I had a double vinyl of Led Zeppelin's Knebworth performance. I lent it to a local radio station (WZZO, who has members here). When they returned it, it was warped as though it was partially hanging over the edge of a shelf. Dumb-asses!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    A slighly off-topic, amusing story...

About 15 years ago my car was broken into. In addition to a few car parts, they stole my sunglasses, loose change, and my phone charger. I had about 20 CDs in the car. They took the three or four mainstream CDS I had and left all my prog CDs. I guess they didn't like my taste in music.
    I went to see Johnny Winter in Passaic, NJ in 1980. While hanging in the car burning doobies, one of the locals came by asking for some. Of course, that was out of the question. When we returned after the show, my window was gone, along with my tape player. Yet all the tapes remained. Apparently, my taste in music didn't quite fit with the local urbanites.

One thing I NEVER did was lend record to anyone. I don't lend out CDs either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    One thing I NEVER did was lend record to anyone. I don't lend out CDs either.
    Well, that was my last time.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The way I see it, CD-Rs are expendable, while my original discs aren't. I'll take my chances. :-)
    yeah... But I use Cd-rs only for ciompilations, which means they have slightly more value to my eyes...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Silly solution. I just moved my small box of CDs into the car trunk. That way thieves aren't aware that they are there as well as less of a heat issue. All my music is still handy that way, too.

Library Jon