Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East of Eden

East of Eden

East of Eden is one of those very early British prog or rock jazz bands that are seldom remembered these days. Basically they had two very good albums -the Psych and Middle eastern influenced Mercator Projected and the somewhat more conventional Snafu. There's also some great bootleg quality live material from that era.
    Their frontman was Dave Arbus, fiddlle and sax player, certainly best known for playing on The Who's Baba's O"Reilly.
    They kept making albums until the late seventies with altered personel and with a hard rock or even country or pub rock feel. There's a longish Youtube live on a TV studio session of the second or third version of the band.
    Then, in the Nineties, Arbus came back with a couple of older players and recorded a couple of conventional jazz rock albums.
    In all, one of those bands that made a couple of good albums and then became progressively worse after that.

Love their first two albums and I noticed a new one has been released and was hoping to get some info on it. Well not new but a posthumous release I believe.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Mercator and s/t ....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

1st two are great Mothers meets faux eastern Mingus riffers... I used to hate the vocals, but they can grow on you like a 70's psycho-active cheese.

Brilliant band.

The new release is called "Essen 1970" so it's probably a live one.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    The new release is called "Essen 1970" so it's probably a live one.
    Yes it is, a semi proffesional cut from their concert on 10/22/1970 at the 3. Essener Pop & Blues-Festival in the Gruga-Halle Essen.
    (actually my birth town)

Yes, curious how they're little-remembered now. First two albums were good.

Mercator was my first LP purchase

I have "World of East of Eden" which compiles from the first 2 LPs plus hit single Jig a Jig. Still find it enjoyable enough to get a spin on the old turntable. There were rumours of a reunion about a year ago - presumably one of those rumours which sadly come to nothing ?

One of those who were a big influence on my musical upbringing. I saw them in a tiny club when I was 15 and they were quite unlike any band I'd seen before -with the two front men swapping instruments and at one point they both picked up saxes and walked around between the audience swapping riffs. There was free improvisation, bits of jazz, bits of reggae, a bit of eastern music and a deal of humour all mixed together.They were great fun and very eclectic. I seem to remember the first drummer was quite mad too.

I think the first drummer was Geoff Britton, a karate expert who afterwards joined Wings for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Yes it is, a semi proffesional cut from their concert on 10/22/1970 at the 3. Essener Pop & Blues-Festival in the Gruga-Halle Essen.
    (actually my birth town)

Thanks !
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Up until this thread I had never even heard of the band, much less heard a single note.

I just watched the video and 10 minutes into it paused it and ordered Mercator & s/t.

Thanks from me too!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The albums are even better than the music heard in the video, that is from the Mk II lineup.

First three albums are solid, with Mercator having some heavy acid rock influences, Snafu bringing about the more jazzy stuff and the s/t seeing them turning towards the "rural".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I love most of Mercator.

I could probably do without Centaur Woman or at least the lyrics.
    Last edited by Joe F.; 07-21-2013 at 08:04 PM.

I have New Leaf. The opening track, “Bradshaw the Bison Hunter” (or something similar), is excellent. Sadly, the entire rest of the album is garbage. They made some later albums with a completely different lineup that seem to have been released only in Germany.

I also have Mercator Projected. This album, on the other hand, is excellent from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I could probably do without Centaur Woman or at least the lyrics.
    Not me. It makes me laugh hard every time.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:nothing

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Up until this thread I had never even heard of the band, much less heard a single note.

I just watched the video and 10 minutes into it paused it and ordered Mercator & s/t.

Thanks from me too!
    Same here. Looking forward to checking them out.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:nothing

all 3 of them are very good...Mercator is all time classic and should be a part of any prog collection

I have the first two and love them immensely. Lately I found one of their more recent issues and don't care for it as much as the older stuff.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I have the first two and love them immensely. Lately I found one of their more recent issues and don't care for it as much as the older stuff.
    Then why did I have to wait this long to be exposed to them?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It rocks !

Unfortunately album is not a gatefold.