Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WASP- Should I Bother?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Geddy had a squirrel on his head
    Geddy himself calls it a raccoon now.

We return you to your thread, already in progress.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Geddy himself calls it a raccoon now.

We return you to your thread, already in progress.
    I'll meet you halfway and call it a raccquirrel (premiering on SyFy after the world premiere of Sharknado 3).

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    A 'best of' should do but I seem to recall the debut album being the best of the bunch.

All IMO of course.
    or at least, the least crappiest

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    No
    That's about it (even Motley Crud was better, IMHO)... unless someone wants to talk about it in the guilty pleasure thread...

In some ways, there is something mildly amusing about these guys, if you're a mindless young male looking after sex-hiungry chicks back then... I never bothered, but I supposed that dressing up like these dudes (looking like ladies), might have gotten you much pussy action
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I still enjoy a lot of AC/DC. I’ve seen them live several times too and they never disappoint. I love prog, but sometimes I just need some straight up ballsy rock n roll, and AC / DC has always fit the bill. No hate here.

Steve Sly
    µ

Yeah, outside the schoolboy attire, AC/DC is in a different class (and time zone) than all of tha gimmick stuff, plus they had Whole Lotta Rosie on their criminal record... They might have called it a day in 85 or sumthing, though...

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'd say no. This stuff is an IQ dropper.
    They did do a bunch of concept albums. I see no difference between them, Mason, Cooper, and Zombie.
    Alice?? Well, I see your point from a disguise POV, but AC has some kind of talent the others didn't.

What were their concept album about? how to get teenage underwear soaked??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Another slightly "disturbed friend a.k.a my best friend who was a Mama-fearing, and God-fearing, so-called Christian boy on the other hand- who tried to convert me and get me away from the evil-music ( yeah, thank god for that, it scared a bunch of brain-washed folks who didn't see it as a farce, actually owned the first Stryper

Not to derail the thread but I went through a phase like that in the early/mid 80s. I was a good church-boy back then and listened to a lot of "Christian Rock." Someone gave me a Stryper album and I actually liked the guitar playing. The singing was cheesy, the whole image with the bumblebee suits and all that was total cornball, but those guitars were killer. Lot's of great harmony leads. I think the main guitarist is called "Oz Fox" or something like that. Great guitarist. To me, the best Christain rock group ever was The Resurrection Band. Their first 4-5 albums are just great. They wwere the Led Zep of "Christian Rock" back then. I'm about ready to order a bunch of their CDs. I don't particulary subscribe to their beliefs anymore but the music is great. Some great musicians were in that band.

I enjoyed WASP from the beginning and took them for what they were supposed to be, outlandish, brash, Metal shenanigans. The stage show was a pisser for sure and there were a handful of great tunes across their catalog. For a total newbie I think their rather comprehensive "Best Of The Best" is a great choice and also the "Double Live Assassins" as these will leave you with an easier decision to proceed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I was CD shopping over the weekend, and I saw that they have re-issued all of the classic WASP CDs with a ton of bonus tracks. I wasn't really much of a fan back in the 80s, but I was aware of them because they were on MTV a lot. Should I even bother trying out a CD or two? What is worth giving a chance? What should I stay away from? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

I saw them in '85 as part of a triple bill with Armored Saint and .....Metallica. W.A.S.P. was the headliner that night and the place was 3/4 empty by the end of their first song.

They tried to channel The Who on their "Crimson Idol" album and failed miserably. The whole thing was so derivative...

I say P.A.S.S. on W.A.S.P.
    Last edited by Yves; 08-01-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Remember to say WASP like a suburban stoner: WASS-PUH with a big emphasis on the P and a breathy UH. They all love saying Wasp this way.

The first album is fun... saw them open for Kiss on the Animalize tour in 85 just when they were breaking, good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    The first album is fun... saw them open for Kiss on the Animalize tour in 85 just when they were breaking, good show.
    That was a good double bill! I saw them at The Forum from within the first few rows. I recall a group of 3 guys (WASP fans) who were getting hammered before the show. WASP starts and everyone is standing on their chairs except for one of these guys who is sitting there with his head in his hands, crouched over and facing the ground while in his seat. He didn't stand up until the last song. Never saw them during the KISS show.

That night, WASP seemed to entertain the crowd just fine. I liked their set.

If you have anything bad to say about WASP and have not heard the "Dominator" album then you have no room to speak. Listen to that...if it doesn't grab you then go back to your parents basement and keep listening to your old King Crimson albums...there is no hope.

We were all at our show to see Metallica, whom we believed would be the headliners. I had heard W.A.S.P.'s music before but I was a hardcore metalhead in those days: Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, etc... These guys were some gimmicky glam metal type band, and we thought they sucked. As a result my friend and I drifted to the lobby of the venue where we briefly encountered James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich mingling with the crowd.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'll never forget when I was a young teenager, my friend who was a major Stryper fanatic trying to sell me on the band by playing me their 'metal' version of "Battle Hymn Of The Republic". CRINGE!
    Oh God, brother, you made me do it. ;-) Btw, I do love Elvis' rendition of this ( who doesn't ?).

Quote Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
    If you have anything bad to say about WASP and have not heard the "Dominator" album then you have no room to speak. Listen to that...if it doesn't grab you then go back to your parents basement and keep listening to your old King Crimson albums...there is no hope.
    Yyyyyyeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!...........

I shall not be saved!!

I've been to a bunch of Stryper shows. Some of the guys used to go to church where my friend's dad was the pastor. This was the early 80s, though. Caught a few of these, along with guitar picks, at their concerts. This sits within my memorabilia collection:

I remember being in the bar at my brother's wedding, in the mid 80s. One of the sisters of the bride was already there. She was a Lutheran minister and like the rest of us, in her late twenties. We started talking about music and the topic drifted to Christian rock. She slammed it all as being rock in name only, said none of those bands were any good, couldn't rock their way out of a paper bag and had no passion. I bought her another beer.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A friend of mine asked if I wanted to see them a couple of years ago at a small theater in Calabassas, CA. I had heard of WASP but was never really into the hair/glam 80s bands, but I went anyway. Surprisingly they were really very good..>Blackie's voce was in very good shape. No meat thrown into the crowd however. (That was fine with me...it was a dinner theater and I was eating a very good steak.)

(That was fine with me...it was a dinner theater and I was eating a very good steak.)
    That's hilarious, not because you were eating a steak, but because of the idea of seeing a washed up, 80s LA sleaze/metal band in a dinner theater in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That's hilarious, not because you were eating a steak, but because of the idea of seeing a washed up, 80s LA sleaze/metal band in a dinner theater in 2014.
    Yeah, the same dinner theater that washed up 70s prog bands perform in. It's a knee-slapper and truly hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yeah, the same dinner theater that washed up 70s prog bands perform in. It's a knee-slapper and truly hilarious!
    The irony, if you can call it that, was not lost on me either!

No, don't bother. And I say that as one of the biggest metalheads on this forum. Hardrock/metal is my main genre, bar none, has been for ages! I saw WASP live & they sucked, big time!

There are only a few of the big name metal bands that I dislike as much as I dislike WASP, namely 1. AC/DC 2. Def Leppard 3. Megadeth

My bottom three hardrock/metal gigs i.e. most poorly played music, bad sound quality (speakers, amps, venue), out of tune singing, boring "another-day-at-the-offce" type performance are:

1. Alice Cooper
    2. WASP
    3. Judas Priest
    Last edited by PeterG; 08-03-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    My bottom three hardrock/metal gigs i.e. most poorly played music, bad sound quality (speakers, amps, venue), out of tune singing, boring "another-day-at-the-offce" type performance are:

1. Alice Cooper
    2. WASP
    3. Judas Priest
    Could you be more specific as to note the year, tour, and venue?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Could you be more specific as to note the year, tour, and venue?
    Would like to, but can't remember, all in Europe though.

Doesn't the singer from Stryper now tour and record with the current lineup of Boston? How does that even sound? I actually bought a Stryper CD a few months ago with them doing an album of metal covers. I was in Best Buy in a mood for anything 80s metal sounding, so I bought it.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Doesn't the singer from Stryper now tour and record with the current lineup of Boston? How does that even sound? I actually bought a Stryper CD a few months ago with them doing an album of metal covers. I was in Best Buy in a mood for anything 80s metal sounding, so I bought it.

Library Jon
    I don't happen to own it, but I do know that one of the covers is Breaking the Law! Rob Halford actually said Michael Sweet did it justice (no pun intended).
    Last edited by progeezer's ghost; 08-07-2014 at 01:03 AM.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold