Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash cams... need advice

Dash cams... need advice

Not yet a common feature in europe, but I'm thinking of installing a dashboard camera in my car

anybody have anty experience and what kind of model works best?? Are there any discreet models, because this could be the next hot items to get stolen after those GPS...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just curious. Why would one want a dash camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just curious. Why would one want a dash camera?
    Insurance.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9151115

also:

Indeed... Some wreckless drivers are out there...

That Australian case is a bit extreme (didn't that cop have some kind of ID to flash to calm that idiot down), but if you want to prove your innocence, to insurance companies.... it's rather handu

Of course you could you the dash cam for your holiday footage as well, but I'm not sure many would use it that way.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Bump

last (speed) bump...

Some cheap discount store (Aldi) proposed some for the first time in Belgium last week... didn't dare yet

If I do get one, it won't be the cheap crap

Here is an unexpected use of a dash cam

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I'm pretty sure Wile E. Coyote was behind that.

RE: the Australia one, that's not just road rage - it's an insane person driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm thinking of installing a dashboard camera in my car
    Any update with this?

Nope, not yet... I'll look it up around christmas or boxing day sales

Good idea. Please keep this thread updated.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

some of those early ones (wih the truks) are almost hilarious...

Bt just imagine how that can help you explainin o the iaccident t you involved

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like the visual representation of Le Orme's "Truck of Fire."

last (speed) bump...

Some cheap discount store (Aldi) proposed some for the first time in Belgium last week... didn't dare yet

If I do get one, it won't be the cheap crap
    I just ordered the Mobius Pro Mini for $85, regularly $199.

I checked out many YouTube videos where people who purchased this device had run field tests. I was happy with their reviews & results, so I will let you know when I test mine out. Arrives early next week.

The Mobius ActionCam is one of the most sophisticated mini cameras around. Measuring 1 3/8″ x 2 1/2″ x 3/4″ inches and weighing only 1.4 ounces, this camera can easily fit in any pocket, but press record and you will capture stunning 1080 HD video quality normally only found on devices 5 times the size. (compatible with Windows based PC’s and Mac computers)

Video Quality The Mobius can record in beautiful 1080P H.264. HD video quality at 30 frames per second. At the highest video quality, the bit rate will be nearly 18,000 kpbs in wide angle recording. There is also a 720P 60 frames per second option suitable for extremely fast action recording, and WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) recording for low light scenarios. A Time Lapse mode, where the camera will automatically take Time-Lapsed still images and Time-Lapsed video is also included. The Mobius can also be configured for motion detect recording; allowing the user to set the sensitivity.

Battery Life With the new increased capacity battery (820mah), Mobius can now record for just over 2 hours! Add a power bank to increase the battery life. The Mobius Actioncam is capable of recording live video while connected to an external power source as well, such as a driving recorder.

Audio Quality The Mobius records excellent quality audio at 512 Kbps PCM (CD quality). Audio can be turned off as well via configuration utility.

Use it as a Driving Recorder; with the Magnet Mount and car adapter (Pro Package), the Mobius makes an effective dash cam. Camera can be configured that, as soon as the Mobius is plugged into the car power adapter it will start recording, no need to press record. With the Mobius’ video quality and wide angle view, you can read any license plate on the road with ease. Loop Recording mode is a very helpful feature, you no longer need to worry if you have enough memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ I'm pretty sure Wile E. Coyote was behind that.
    If it was Wile E. Coyote, he'd be under it.

People stateside don't realize how prevalent dash cams are in Europe and Asia. Apparently, insurance fraud is one of the better games in town.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If it was Wile E. Coyote, he'd be under it.

People stateside don't realize how prevalent dash cams are in Europe and Asia. Apparently, insurance fraud is one of the better games in town.
    Not quite yet in Europe... It's not like it's a tsunami rush in stores like GPS were a few years back. They're probably not exactly what one would expect for X-mas gifts either >> and probably the kind of thin that gets easily stolen if left on the dashboard or visible anywhere else...

Though I wish I had one when I totalled my car in March in a pile-up on the highway... I'm sure the Dutch state would've been interested in looking at how bad the road management handled the crisis

Gruno, that more like the kind of device I was looking for when I opened this thread two years ago. The other stuff looked way too encumbrant and complicated, when I searched.ideally I'd look for a model with the two side views covered as well.
    Last edited by Trane; 07-03-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    what about go pro?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I just ordered the Mobius Pro Mini for $85, regularly $199.

I checked out many YouTube videos where people who purchased this device had run field tests. I was happy with their reviews & results, so I will let you know when I test mine out. Arrives early next week.

The Mobius ActionCam is one of the most sophisticated mini cameras around. Measuring 1 3/8″ x 2 1/2″ x 3/4″ inches and weighing only 1.4 ounces, this camera can easily fit in any pocket, but press record and you will capture stunning 1080 HD video quality normally only found on devices 5 times the size. (compatible with Windows based PC’s and Mac computers)

Video Quality The Mobius can record in beautiful 1080P H.264. HD video quality at 30 frames per second. At the highest video quality, the bit rate will be nearly 18,000 kpbs in wide angle recording. There is also a 720P 60 frames per second option suitable for extremely fast action recording, and WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) recording for low light scenarios. A Time Lapse mode, where the camera will automatically take Time-Lapsed still images and Time-Lapsed video is also included. The Mobius can also be configured for motion detect recording; allowing the user to set the sensitivity.

Battery Life With the new increased capacity battery (820mah), Mobius can now record for just over 2 hours! Add a power bank to increase the battery life. The Mobius Actioncam is capable of recording live video while connected to an external power source as well, such as a driving recorder.

Audio Quality The Mobius records excellent quality audio at 512 Kbps PCM (CD quality). Audio can be turned off as well via configuration utility.

Use it as a Driving Recorder; with the Magnet Mount and car adapter (Pro Package), the Mobius makes an effective dash cam. Camera can be configured that, as soon as the Mobius is plugged into the car power adapter it will start recording, no need to press record. With the Mobius’ video quality and wide angle view, you can read any license plate on the road with ease. Loop Recording mode is a very helpful feature, you no longer need to worry if you have enough memory!

what is that thing under it?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

If some nut jumped on my hood and smashed my winshield I'de back up quick , get him on the ground in front of me and run his physco ass over.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    If some nut jumped on my hood and smashed my winshield I'de back up quick , get him on the ground in front of me and run his physco ass over.
    With a dash cam you can enjoy the footage for years upon years!

that's if you save in memory... because all of what's been filmed disppears fairly quickly (as soon as you've taken the key from contact), ince it's normally eventless.

I could imagine someone filming discreetly arseholes phoning while driving, saving it and sending it to the cops

The thought warms my heart.

Suspended
    I had to open this thread to find out what a "dash cam" was.

Some people here have dashboard cameras, but I don't think they are so common that the abbreviation "dash cam" is in common usaage. Or perhaps it's just the circles in which I move.

Obviously I can understand why the police would have them, but it bothers me sometimes the way ordinary citizens feel the need to record every little thing that they do.

Suspended
    that's if you save in memory... because all of what's been filmed disppears fairly quickly (as soon as you've taken the key from contact), ince it's normally eventless.

I could imagine someone filming discreetly arseholes phoning while driving, saving it and sending it to the cops
    or filming other drivers operating their dashcams.

Wait a minute...