Thread: Did Demetrio Stratos listen to Pharaoh Sanders?

Did Demetrio Stratos listen to Pharaoh Sanders?

I've just picked up a couple of albums by Pharaoh Sanders. Karma, released in 1969, has a 32-minute track (how's that for prog?) called "The Creator Has a Master Plan." There are a few places where the singer, Leon Thomas, does quite a bit of yodeling. He sounds so much like Area's Demetrio Statos that it's uncanny. Does anyone know if Stratos got the whole yodeling thing from listening to Pharaoh Sanders records?????

Here's an excerpt from the piece. Skip ahead to 8:58 to hear what's probably the best example. (Warning: the beginning of this video kicks in right in the middle of a serious free-jazz freak out. It's pretty out there, but if you've been listening to Area for any length of time you can probably handle it.)
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

I have once asked that myself.Obviously Demetrio get yodeling thing from Leon Thomas.

For those who still haven't seen it, and who can take a minimum of Italian - here's the "official" documentary on Stratos, both portraying his ideas, practice and cultural influence as well as tracing some of the origins of his own influences:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Not to rule out the Leon Thomas influence, but the distance from northern Italy to Tyrol, Bavaria, Schweiz, etc. is less than 300 kilometers.

Btw nice to hear the Pharaoh Sanders piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    For those who still haven't seen it, and who can take a minimum of Italian - here's the "official" documentary on Stratos, both portraying his ideas, practice and cultural influence as well as tracing some of the origins of his own influences:
    Thanks for sharing. This is pretty interesting stuff. It would be even more interesting if I knew more than three words in Italian.

Now seems like a good time to ask about Stratos' solo albums. Can anyone comment on any of them? Is there one that's best to start with?

Karma is a good album and fwiw, many people were listening to Pharaoh Sanders.

That doc looks very interesting. Bummer that I can't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Karma is a good album and fwiw, many people were listening to Pharaoh Sanders.
    Awesome! I've never heard of this before. Thanks.

Wow! That Sanders piece was amazing. I've been familiar with the name since high school when I sent away for an ESP-Disk catalogue, but never quite heard any of his stuff. Now I've got to dig into the Pharaoh, Area, and D. Stratos.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.