Thread: Does anyone have idea if the Nektar gigs in Texas are happening?

Does anyone have idea if the Nektar gigs in Texas are happening?

Greetings to all!

Well, I just found out, almost by accident via a FaceBook post, that Nektar is listing gigs here in Texas in Austin and Dallas. Wow!

Funny that I had to find out this way, since I've been on the mailing list and a member of their Forum for years, but I guess it doesn't matter....

I tried just about every source I know to find out more about the Austin gig on July 3rd - looked at both the Nektar and (the venue) Cheer Up Charlie's FaceBook pages, Nektar's web site, all the ticket agencies that sell tickets anywhere in Texas, and I really don't see that there's been any confirmation that this gig is going to happen.

The Nektar website lists the venue and date, but there's no ticket link and the start time, etc. is "TBD".

The warmup act, Sons of Hippies, lists the gig on their Facebook page, as does Cheer Up Charlie's, but again, no "hard info".

I would have to take a day off of work, and burn a lot of gasoline to get to Austin and back, but I'm willing to do it if I know the gig will happen.

I'll be calling the venue, but I was hoping that someone in the know here might be able to shed a little light on the subject.

Thanks so very much,

Leo

spoke to klaus the keys dude recently and he did mention texas as being the last stops of the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    spoke to klaus the keys dude recently and he did mention texas as being the last stops of the tour.
    Thanks for your reply, CoG - that would fit with the posted itinerary, too...it's just that if things are "iffy" on the finances, attendance, or whatever, and we're way down South in the "outlier" zone, I was thinking that they might nix these gigs. It wouldn't be the first time.

The fact that there are no tickets for sale - with the gigs less than a week away - doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy about it all.

Thanks so much once again, and I think I'll do some research to see if Dallas has tickets for sale - if they're going to Dallas, then Austin almost certainly will happen, as well.

Leo

Not looking good at all for Texas - sigh - there's no mention at all on the venue's own website of Nektar (or any other show) on July 4th at the Grotto in Fort Worth.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm not in a hurry at this moment to ask for July 3rd off so I can see the Austin gig.

Leo

Welcome to the fuzzy world of Nektar PR... I have contacts and tips, but for the life of me I cannot understand HOW THE HELL they expect people to know they are alive & together, never mind touring.
    I've followed the (lack of) PR, wrong PR and misleading trails since the tour was first announced back in April, and I've tried my best to stay up to date on my "Nektar in 2013" page on the project forum.
    (See http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...013-tour-dates )
    I attempted to verify the July "Southern" gigs yesterday via the Sons of Hippies links.... but STILL no verification, no prices, times or mention of their appearance... although I AM confident they will be there, I would strongly suggest calling the venue before making plans which involve a long drive.
    I wish I could be more helpful... but whoever booked this tour obviously isn't really interested in getting people to actually go and see Nektar.

I'm close to Fort Worth - where is the Grotto?

Thank you so much for your reply, Mick - actually, I had you specifically in mind when I reached out on PE ! I appreciate your insights.

Nektar seems to conduct the band's business in such a way that - if you didn't know better - you'd think it was carefully calculated to completely run off every single fan.

Our national security folks could take a lesson from Nektar (or at least the people they've hired to do promotion and distribution - witness past debacles with fans' money going bye bye) on how to keep a secret - geesh. WTF!?

I performed all the actions you described between the time I found out about the TX gigs (a miracle in itself, and only because I noticed a small, one-off event posting in my News Feed on FaceBook!) last night, and posting here. I see absolutely nothing that would for a moment encourage me to think that either Fort Worth OR Austin will happen. Stunning - and not in a good way.

I will certainly be taking your advice to keep an eye open, but I simply cannot commit to a large money, time and effort outlay until I get some kind of assurance that the band will actually be there.

To think that the Grotto's web site, for instance, doesn't even show the gig - and it's less than a week from today - is just, well, stupid.

Thanks so much again, Mick.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I'm close to Fort Worth - where is the Grotto?
    O.K. Leo... back to basics... I strongly suggest calling the club for verification.... ALL addresses AND phone numbers are now listed alongside the three July venues in question instead of a link...
    (see latest update at http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...D=164&PID=1079 )
    It seems this is the ONLY way to get the information needed (Is it on?, How much?, What time does it begin? etc.). These three southern clubs seem to think they don't need to advertise, and Nektar is just another garage band to them....so be nice!

Once again, thank you very much, Mick - I will take your advice, of course.

The correct phone number will help - so many times, I've call a club/venue only to speak to a person or persons who know little or nothing about band bookings or info. I'll let you know what I find out, and of course, I will be nice

Cheers,

Leo

OK, I do know the Grotto - and is it really feasible that they would play there? I mean, talk about a tiny, tiny venue. 20 fat people and the place is packed. If Nektar booked that place it would be a totally cool concert, but not for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    OK, I do know the Grotto - and is it really feasible that they would play there? I mean, talk about a tiny, tiny venue. 20 fat people and the place is packed. If Nektar booked that place it would be a totally cool concert, but not for them.
    Looking at the web site for Cheer Up Charlie's in Austin, it would appear that the same situation would exist there, except it would be outdoors...tiny, tiny backyard deal...but it would definitely be intimate.

No way even a full house would pay their gas money. Hope Cleopatra Records is helping them out!

Leo

Just FYI...the venue for the July 2nd show in Fayetteville now goes by a different name. It's now known as the Phoenix Club. Nothing is listed on their Facebook page regarding the show but there is a phone number...

https://www.facebook.com/ThePhoenixClubFayetteville

Edit: Actually, I did find verification on the venue calendar that, yes, the show is taking place on Tuesday, June 2nd. Doors are at 9 and tickets are [holy shit] five bucks.
    Last edited by oilersfan; 06-28-2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Found the info. I was looking for...

I just thought of something as I started my day here in Houston with our weather report showing a high in the low 100's, heat index > 110 (humidity is in the 95% range)...yes, it's f*cking summer, all right...

And then I remembered the venue in Austin is outdoors...and it will be in the 90's (temperature, and, quite likely, humidity, as well) even at night, quite possibly over 100 degrees until the sun goes down...and when I looked at Google Maps at the address Mick has given - 1104 East 6th St. Austin TX - the street view shows a little tent over a stage, a patch or two of dirt, and several porta-potties. Ah, yes, that will be percolating nicely.

In the late fall (the end of our "real" summer) or winter (when evenings are pleasant), this would alll be charming - in July it will be hell.

And as Yodelgoat aptly observed about the Grotto in Fort Worth, how the hell are the band going to be able to set up on that postage stamp stage!?

I remember trying to get the band to play in Houston, and Roye or the management (I forget which after all these years) sent me a list of minimal stage and facility requirements (nothing obnoxious, quite professional, they had to have room to set up their stage show) - I had to laugh a little, looking at this "venue" (basically a backyard patch with a little tent, really, take a look) and thinking back to those stage requirements. There's room for a little combo, maybe. Lighting? I better bring a flashlight.

This will be a very, very hard sell to the wife. I'd do it - with displeasure, but knowing that it would be special - but with all these circumstances...hmm...

Anyway, just some observations...will call venue later. Never had to do anything quite like this "detective work" to see if a non-local, significant band is actually going to play a gig. One thing's for sure - just like Mick stated, the people at these small hole-in-the-wall places will not know who Nektar even is. I would add that they probably don't even know that the term Prog exists.

Cheers,

Leo

P.S. The FB listing for Cheer Up Charlie's lists a third band for the Nektar gig - "Deep Space". Any Texans here who know who they are?? The gig starts at 7:00 PM, according to that page - so it WILL be near or over 100 degrees at show start.

P.P.S. I now realize why there's no ticket info - this place probably never sold an advance ticket for any event that ever happened there. It's a little backyard gathering place for music - and, from what I can gather, it's a gay (AND) vegan food/gathering place. Would probably meet some really cool folks there.
    Last edited by yahonza; 06-28-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Here's a thought... hopefully Roye will see this.

A while back I read an article in which was mentioned that Roye & Steve Hackett used to be friends &, at one time, were the only ones in London with a guitar synth. Maybe Roye can latch on to Steve's concert coattails sometime. It would be great for exposure as well as bu$ine$$.

It pains me to see Nektar making the same mistakes again & again. Especially after a pretty good release (Time Machine). $5 dollar ticket prices... small venues... 20-30 attendees... ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Pollstar lists only three more gigs:

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtis...earchBy=nektar

Of course, those listings would be a direct result of the band or management adding them, So, it really means little in light of the ineptness behind their promotions (or lack of).

For what it'll be worth, I contacted 3 fairly local college radio stations I occasionally frequent who just so happen to be going through their Summer fundraisers. I promised to donate to them if I can get them to play Nektar's "Time Machine." They agreed & I'm providing them with the actual CDs.

I'm hoping to hear some Nektar airplay in New England before they call it a day...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

BOTH Nektar Texas gigs with SoH ARE ON, (until they get there anyway) but only one club has only very recently actually posted publicity for them.
    The Grotto (Fort Worth)... see http://www.thegrottofw.com/
    Cheer Up Charlies in Austin is only on Facebook and still not quite up to date. https://www.facebook.com/cheerupcharliesaustin
    Hopefully they will post something positive over this weekend.
    Meanwhile, daily updates CAN always be found at
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...?PID=1079&PN=1

BTW, Nektar last played Texas in November 1976.... 37 years ago!
    We played the Armadillo Headquarters in Austin and the County Convention Center in Fort Worth as well as the Convention Center in Corpus Christi and the Municipal Auditorium in San Antonio....
    Fond memories of a totally different tour, mentality & time...
    (It wasn't OVER 100 degrees, and we were playing inside, with a/c!)
    Last edited by Mick; 06-29-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    BOTH Nektar Texas gigs with SoH ARE ON, (until they get there anyway) but only one club has only very recently actually posted publicity for them.
    The Grotto (Fort Worth)... see http://www.thegrottofw.com/
    Cheer Up Charlies in Austin is only on Facebook and still not quite up to date. https://www.facebook.com/cheerupcharliesaustin
    Hopefully they will post something positive over this weekend.
    Meanwhile, daily updates CAN always be found at
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...?PID=1079&PN=1

BTW, Nektar last played Texas in November 1976.... 37 years ago!
    We played the Armadillo Headquarters in Austin and the County Convention Center in Fort Worth as well as the Convention Center in Corpus Christi and the Municipal Auditorium in San Antonio....
    Fond memories of a totally different tour, mentality & time...
    (It wasn't OVER 100 degrees, and we were playing inside, with a/c!)
    Thanks very much, Mick - there's no substitute for information that comes directly from the band!

BTW, funny you should mention that '76 tour - my friends in Texas saw them on that tour, and I had 4th row center tickets to see them at the Orpheum in Boston (I was going to college there)...and they had to cancel on the night of the show!! AAAAGGGGHHH...

I had a whole group of friends all excited, we walked up to the Orpheum entrance - and saw that handwritten notice...my heart sank. It couldn't be helped - one of the band had fallen ill - but I was still SOOOO disappointed.

As it turns out, I would finally get to see them in 2006 at my first Baja Prog - 30 years later!

If the Photos section was carried over from the old PE, I posted photos of me and Roye, and the band on stage that night.

Anyway, after seeing them only at Baja Prog and RosFest, I would love to see them again...

It's 103 degrees right now in Houston (that's EXTREMELY HOT, even for us!), and if it's anything like this next week, I'm going to have a tough sell getting the wife out there for an outdoor show.

And how will Nektar be able to play in this heat? It'll be interesting, especially considering the havoc the heat will wreak on their instruments...and them.

Cheers!

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by yahonza View Post
    Thanks very much, Mick - there's no substitute for information that comes directly from the band!
    It's 103 degrees right now in Houston (that's EXTREMELY HOT, even for us!), and if it's anything like this next week, I'm going to have a tough sell getting the wife out there for an outdoor show.
    And how will Nektar be able to play in this heat? It'll be interesting, especially considering the havoc the heat will wreak on their instruments...and them.
    Cheers!
    Leo
    Actually Leo, it is just persistent logical research (phone calls and websurfing) which provides all my information.
    I may have been a member of the original classic Nektar, but I can assure you that if I was still involved with the present band, I wouldn't NEED to be trying to assist fans to find us a week before the show, but then again, we probably wouldn't be playing in some of these places either..
    Presently, my ONLY alliegance is our name "Nektar", which (IMO) still deserves to be recognised for what we once were together AND for what Roye has represented ever since.
    As for the heat, well I really feel sorry for everyone stuck in these areas during mid-summer, but nobody was paying attention when the consequences of what has now become known as Global Warming were made VERY clear 40 years ago. Now it's "Too little, too late", so break out the sunscreen, and hope your power grid keeps pace for the fans and a/c.
    BTW, We wrote Recycled in 1975.... after I'd read the book "The Limits to Growth", which tried to explain it all, ...so don't blame us.
    Last edited by Mick; 06-30-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Hurray! Posted on Cheer Up Charlie's FaceBook page:

Heyyyyyy so our show with Nektar has had a time change. Take note! The show is now from 9-12am

Deep Space - 9pm
    Sons Of Hippies - 10pm
    Nektar - 11pm
    Purrrfect - gives me more time to get to Austin from Houston - I'd tried calling the place several times, no answer, so this is the first real confirmation I've seen.

And to make it sweeter, the weather has cooled off considerably - this evening was almost pleasant, really, and the forecast is favorable for more of the same.

Also, it's FREE. Geez, that makes it even more unbelievable....

Any fellow TX PE'ers going to be there!?

Cheers,

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by yahonza View Post
    Hurray! Posted on Cheer Up Charlie's FaceBook page:
    Purrrfect - gives me more time to get to Austin from Houston - I'd tried calling the place several times, no answer, so this is the first real confirmation I've seen.
    And to make it sweeter, the weather has cooled off considerably - this evening was almost pleasant, really, and the forecast is favorable for more of the same.
    Also, it's FREE. Geez, that makes it even more unbelievable....
    Any fellow TX PE'ers going to be there!?
    Cheers, Leo
    Well Leo, howz about a review of the set and the people from the "free" show last night in Austin?
    The band has been absolutely phenomenal throughout the main portion of the tour, so now that they've found themselves on a confined stage with a very intimate audience in these much smaller bars, some unexpected music (or jams?) often unfolds on a whim.
    Tonights gig is the final show of the tour, which may allow for even more surprises, so if anyone here is attending the Grotto in Fort Worth, please tell us all about it.
    I'm also happy to note that the temperatures in Texas have gone down somewhat, which should assist in attendances AND tempers.
    Thanks again Leo.