Thread: Abrakadabra - 2LP/CD

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Abrakadabra - 2LP/CD

EDIT: Sorry, the band is called Klockwerk Orange, and the album is called Abrakadabra. (Everything sounds better when it's intentionally mispelled!)

So this is the kind of release that really burns my ass - it's basically about $50, limited edition. I'd love to have the CD this comes with, but you can only get it if you buy this package which also has 2 LPs. The CD has everything that's on the LPs.

Why not release a CD on it's own too? Because I'm not going to pay $50 for one CD (the LPs are useless to me). So I've now found out about this album I really wanted to buy, but instead of buying anything I'm going to scour the internet for a free download. Isn't the label losing out on possible sales by bundling two completely different formats together at a high price?

https://www.lasercd.com/node/9943

I agree that their business model shows poor fore-thought. I'm with you, I'd only want the CD.

That's it Jed - YOU SHOW THE MAN!!! He's fucking you over right and left. STEAL THE MUSIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    That's it Jed - YOU SHOW THE MAN!!! He's fucking you over right and left. STEAL THE MUSIC!!!
    Not THE MAN, but a label that for some reason thinks 2LPs and a CD with the same contents as the 2LPs makes some kind of sense. Sorry, but it's a bit annoying to be on the very verge of placing an order, look at the price and see $47, then look at the item again to figure out why, and then realize it's 2LPs and a CD with the same contents as the LPs. If they'll release a CD format without LPs included for absolutely no reason, I'll buy it.

Actually, it's a pretty good business model. He's already sold out, made a small profit and have moved on. Could have he made more money? Perhaps, but that obviously wasn't his goal. It's a small hobby business for a music enthusiast and he's kept it manageable. He has no obligation to make everyone happy. Maybe later on, he'll reconsider and do as you suggest: Release only as a CD for a cheaper price. For me, I'm just glad to see a legit reissue. It's a wonderful package. No doubt the entry point is high. And no doubt it will be worth far more in the future, but still cheaper than the original.

I will say this: If you don't know this record, then I would suggest you hear it first before plunking down this kind of bread. It's not a guaranteed monster. For guys like me, it's wonderful. Everything has its context.

I'll wait for the 2Cassette/1LaserDisc edition.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Not THE MAN, but a label that for some reason thinks 2LPs and a CD with the same contents as the 2LPs makes some kind of sense. Sorry, but it's a bit annoying to be on the very verge of placing an order, look at the price and see $47, then look at the item again to figure out why, and then realize it's 2LPs and a CD with the same contents as the LPs. If they'll release a CD format without LPs included for absolutely no reason, I'll buy it.
    In other words "I decided its too expensive so I'll steal it". I I I I ME ME ME ME ME I I I I

Because YOU place no value on the LPs its a rip off and "annoying". Do you steal things other than music that annoy you because they are expensive?

Considering the Klockwerk Orange set is already out of print I guess there are a number of people out there that don't share your views.

I I I I ME ME ME ME ME I I I I.
    You are singing the Jed Levin mantra.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    In other words "I decided its too expensive so I'll steal it".
    Do you (or Steve F. - I wasn't addressing this to vendors, but since it's become vendors attacking me, the customer...) really think the label expected anyone to buy this set just for the CD? I doubt they expected anyone to pay $50 just to obtain one CD, and I doubt many people (if any) bought the set just to get the CD.

I don't view downloading the album from Usenet or a blog to be stealing, because the CD is not available for purchase by people who use the CD format, it's only available for those who use the LP vinyl format, which is obviously a niche market. There was never any chance I was going to pay $50 for one CD. As soon as they release a CD at a semi-reasonable price I'll happily buy it.

I never quite get why as soon as someone who spends A LOT of money each year on physical copies of music points out a stupid move on a label's part regarding release formats and bundling, vendors feel threatened and brand the person a thief. Why call out "I I I I I ME ME ME ME I I I I?" What do you expect me to do, just have a warm feeling in my heart because the label has made some money for itself, or think "Well, this is useless to about 95% of people, but at least some vinyl fans will get two LPs and a free CD?" It's very hard to view this any way other than that the label was hoping some people would pay $50 to get that CD, and when they do that, they're, IMO, encouraging people to find other ways to listen to this OOP release - swap tapes with people, listen to it on YouTube, download from Usenet, what have you - it amounts to the same thing. The CD WAS commercially unobtainable, and REMAINS commercially unobtainable to CD users. Sorry if I upset you by lamenting that fact, and expressing my continuing desire to hear the music and hopefully one day have the opportunity to buy a copy.

Jed:

You have a warped view of life.

Steal away my friend. Steal away...

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wasn't addressing this to vendors, but since it's become vendors attacking me, the customer...
    Jed, you're not a 'customer' when you're stealing things (and bragging about it, I might add).

You have to buy things to be a 'customer'...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Jed: Maybe someone will buy the 2 LPs off you for 2/3 the purchase price, and then you, they AND the band win.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Jed, you're not a 'customer' when you're stealing things (and bragging about it, I might add).

You have to buy things to be a 'customer'...
    So if I bemoan this decision on the label's part AS I'M buying something else from you, you'll agree with me?

This set was actually in my shopping cart at lasercd.com (after being totally won over by Ken's description and the info that it's a limited edition), then I looked at the price and saw it was higher than what lasercd.com would usually charge for a CD, and I realized it was 2LPs and a CD. I then aborted the purchase (it's probably still in my cart, though I don't know if Ken's system will allow him to see that).

Whatever, I don't really see why it's any concern of you guys if I'm able to listen to a copy of the album some other way. It's the same reason I'm not buying the boxed edition of Aqualung and Warrior on the Edge of Time. I don't want to be strongarmed by a label (I didn't say a vendor) into paying for multiple formats.

BTW, some may ask me, "Jed, why do you have so many sets that include both DVDs and CDs then?" Good question - in almost all cases they were able to combine those different formats at a very attractive price point. Also - and this is crucial - I can play all of those disks on ONE DEVICE. I don't have to own a piece of equipment that MOST people view as an antique method of playing music. I don't have anything against turntables, but I threw mine away about two decades ago, WHEN EVERYONE STOPPED MAKING AND SELLING RECORDS.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Jed: Maybe someone will buy the 2 LPs off you for 2/3 the purchase price, and then you, they AND the band win.....
    Who gets the packaging?

Just to be clear on the packaging: It's a full 2 LP set with a gatefold cover filled with liner notes and photos. The CD comes in a simple slipcase, and is an extra item included. It could theoretically be sold separately, though the CD by itself, from a packaging perspective, would be disappointing. As the other poster suggested, you could sell the LP - probably for a handsome profit a year from now, and keep the CD for yourself. I think very few people (if any) are buying this package just for the CD. I'm glad to have both formats myself.

^ This is pretty much what I thought.

Anywho, as much as I'd like to have Abrakadabra on CD, this set isn't going to "reach out & grab ya" unless you're a vinyl lover. That's all I'm saying.

I got my copy of this from discogs (from the label) foolishly thinking no one in the states will carry it.
    Should of asked Ken, first. My mistake.

I did the same John. But mine was damaged, so I'll be getting a replacement which I told Aldi to send me along with the Isaiah when it gets released in the Fall. However I didn't feel like waiting, so I bought one from Ken too. Can't hurt to have an extra...

Cool Tom, i know i've probably mentioned it before, but thanks for all the great work you put into your blogs. Love reading through them and discovering CD's i've missed or LP only obscurites to hunt down.

Thanks John - always appreciative of your support!

I'm sitting on a pile of rarities (CD-Rs) I have yet to hear that were sent in by a couple of sources over the last year. Hopefully there's a gem or two in there like last year's Ginga Rale, Rob Thomsett, and Phase.