Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Some Ambient Music with Gilmour-like Guitar

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember there was some really cool music that Clapton did that was used over the end credits of the movie "Communion" with Cristopher Walken, about "alien abductions." Sounded Gilmourish to me but I don't think it was ever released, or never released on CD. If anyone knows if this is out there on the Interweb somewhere, please let me know!

>>>>>So, question -- you disagree with whole albums - do you mean those posts where the WHOLE continual record is on one link??
    Are you then OK with all the songs on a given album being up there, one video each?? Where do we draw the line??

Also -- is it wrong to have, say the entire "Close To The Edge" up there?? IS that ripping off Yes??>>>>>>

I generally think that a good and easy way to be heard these days is to have a Youtube presence, it gives an opportunity to hear if a band is for you or not.....but I cannot understand the mentality of someone who posts an entire album for the sake of it, no. However, if I really like the stuff there's no way I am content just to hear it rendered in crappy Youtube audio, so that may well lead to me purchasing it on CD. Whichever way we look at it, the genie is out of the bottle, and he ain't going back in :-(

Yes, In a major way it's about the proverbial genie, also about the fakeness of the music/record industry that some people pretend is some golden period that got taken away from them because no one is buying their totally derivative and unoriginal records.

I agree with the Rain Falls in Grey recommendations - I've also been playing the crap out of Emissaries recently - fabulous album!

Again, a bit of a stretch, but ... Mr. Gilmour can be found on some of Bryan Ferry's solo albums, such as 'Bete Noire'. Some of the songs found there are 'trance-like'
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Or should I just crank up some Bad Dog U or Vietgrove?
    This. Definitely this.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Or should I just crank up some Bad Dog U or Vietgrove?
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    This. Definitely this.
    That most recent Vietgrove album is quite excellent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

One more thumbs up for Vietgrove.Well worth your time.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    LEVEL π "Entrance"

I found this on Synphonic. Apparently the name of the band is Level Pi (since that's a pi sign). The album "entrance" is listed.

^^^

Exactly. Level Pi is the pronunciation. I also own two other albums of theirs (Electronic Sheep and Dunkelstunde) but they are harder to come-by.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    One more thumbs up for Vietgrove.Well worth your time.
    Vietgrove are excellent! Thanks for the info!
    Where can I get their physical cds?

Try the Norwegian band "Airbag"

http://www.airbagsound.com/

They started out doing Floyd covers but there own material is very mellow and retains that Gilmour guitar sound. Identity is particularly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Palfreyman View Post
    Try the Norwegian band "Airbag"

http://www.airbagsound.com/

They started out doing Floyd covers but there own material is very mellow and retains that Gilmour guitar sound. Identity is particularly good.
    Brilliant! One of my favs!

Owner of a Horse and Cart
    OP and others interested would do well to check out Days Between Stations. The new album "In Extremis" has a track called "In Utero" that might just butter your toast. The self-titled debut has a few in that fashion.

And the new album has some cats named Wakeman, Levin, Banks, Moulding and Sherwood on it.

http://www.daysbetweenstations.com

there's also an album called "On an Island" that is quite ambient sounding with an excellent Gilmour soundalike guitarist on it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Owner of a Horse and Cart
    indeed, he almost nails it a time or 2 on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    there's also an album called "On an Island" that is quite ambient sounding with an excellent Gilmour soundalike guitarist on it

Quote Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
    Vietgrove are excellent! Thanks for the info!
    Where can I get their physical cds?
    You can usually pick up a copy of the 'The Little Apocrypha' on Ebay pretty cheaply. Our last album, 'The Stellar Nursery' hasn't been made available on cd, as it simply isn't worth the cost of the pressing some cds up. However, you can get a very high quality download of it in a variety of formats at http://vietgrove.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Seems kinda dumb and obvious, right? But yeah, this is really a fantastic album - great mellow, summer album.

And his Live in Gdansk is excellent, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    You can usually pick up a copy of the 'The Little Apocrypha' on Ebay pretty cheaply. Our last album, 'The Stellar Nursery' hasn't been made available on cd, as it simply isn't worth the cost of the pressing some cds up. However, you can get a very high quality download of it in a variety of formats at http://vietgrove.bandcamp.com/
    Thank you SO much! I downloaded The Stellar Nursery & it certainly is "stellar!"
    Ordered the other 2 on e-bay!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Believe it or not, Buckethead put out an album that fits the bill called "Electric Tears." Do not confuse it with "Electric Sea" as this is newer (sequel) and not as good IMO, but still not bad. I would start with "Electric Tears" though.
    Really good MM! After Electric Tears, what would you suggest?

Thank you SO much! I downloaded The Stellar Nursery & it certainly is "stellar!"
    Ordered the other 2 on e-bay!
    You're welcome, please enjoy!!

Really good MM! After Electric Tears, what would you suggest?
    Buckethead discography is all over the place stylistically. I personally would go for "Colma" and "Population Override" next (these are among his highest rated on RYM) as being really good and somewhat similar to "Electric Tears." "Electric Sea" was the follow-up to "Electric Tears" but not as good IMO, but still quite good.

Wurzel of Motorhead fame released an ambient album in the late 90s, Chill Out or Die.
    I seem to have misplaced my copy but if I recall correctly it was pleasant enough, though the audio quality could have been better but maybe that was just my copy.

Marconi Union, maybe?