Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New fan of NEKTAR, but with a few questions?

I'm quite enjoying Remember the Future. Here are my impressions after a week or so with the album.

The packaging was quite unexpected. I figured it'd be one of those clamshell things that Esoteric usually uses for these types of boxes. Nope. Slide out tray with each disc in own sturdy sleeve. Haven't had a chance to read through the booklet, but it looks nice. Including a tour poser is always a welcome addition especially given how beautiful the artwork for the album is. (T-shirt? Man, I'd like to have a t-shirt with that art on it.)

The first two discs are the studio album. The first disc is remastered; the second is remixed. Remix is definitely my preference, and I probably won't give much more than another cursory listen to the remaster.

Surround mix was not overwhelming. Nothing really jumped out. But I've found I really need to inhabit an album for a while before I can fully appreciate a surround mix.

The live albums are rough. They're not bad, but don't expect anything pristine. Perhaps a little too jammy for my tastes, but I can't offer much more than that. I need to invest more attention.

Not quite space rock or, at least, not of the farther-than-far-out Space Ritual variety. Not a criticism, for sure, and certainly not a view everyone will agree with, but I'd be hard pressed to call this anything other than classic rock with prog elements and even that doesn't seem to make complete sense in my head. Let's try some comps. Definitely has that post-Syd but pre-Dark Side Floyd feel to it. Perhaps a more proggy Man would be a good way to describe it, or maybe a more rough and tumble Camel. Another band I keep thinking of is Rarebird but after Fields left when the band became a more traditional guitar/keys/bass/drum four-piece. I.e., very solid classic rock with prog elements (ok, I guess I'm buying my own first impression). I love music like that! It's always easy to spin and won't send my wife running out of the room (always a plus).

I went ahead and ordered the Esoteric release of Sounds Like This from Wayside. Hopefully I'll have a chance to dig into the live show in the box before it arrives. I think tonight I'm going to give the 5.1 a properly LOUD listen tonight. Wife is out of town so who is going to stop me? Not the dog! Not the neighbors! Not even common sense!

Anyway, I guess I'm a Nektar fan. Huzzah!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

I went ahead and ordered the Esoteric release of Sounds Like This from Wayside. Hopefully I'll have a chance to dig into the live show in the box before it arrives. I think tonight I'm going to give the 5.1 a properly LOUD listen tonight. Wife is out of town so who is going to stop me? Not the dog! Not the neighbors! Not even common sense!

Anyway, I guess I'm a Nektar fan. Huzzah!
    "Sounds Like This" is a very different album, but great in it's own way. I have always called it their jam band album. I think much of it was recorded live in the studio if I remember my Nektar history correctly.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 02-15-2024 at 11:11 AM.

Not quite space rock or, ....
    Just to be clear, my space rock comment was about the debut only. It's a bit of an outlier. It's total space rock.

I went ahead and ordered the Esoteric release of Sounds Like This from Wayside. Hopefully I'll have a chance to dig into the live show in the box before it arrives.
    Sounds Like this is the jammy album. Live in the studio. Very much like the live sets. Check out the Live at the Roundhouse show. That is also jammy but it kills.

Every release is a bit different. The pure proggiest are RTF, Tab and Recycled.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Just to be clear, my space rock comment was about the debut only. It's a bit of an outlier. It's total space rock.

Sounds Like this is the jammy album. Live in the studio. Very much like the live sets. Check out the Live at the Roundhouse show. That is also jammy but it kills.

Every release is a bit different. The pure proggiest are RTF, Tab and Recycled.
    Hopefully Tab gets the Esoteric treatment, too.

^^ Bad link
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

New edition of Recycled landed on my doorstep today (thanks, Laser's Edge!). Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'll share some impressions when I have.

Hopefully Tab gets the Esoteric treatment, too.
    I believe that one is next

E

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Y View Post
    I believe that one is next

E
    Oh, good to hear.

There’s a new album on the way, too.

Oh, good to hear.

There’s a new album on the way, too.
    And the tour begins this Friday in Dunellen NJ, pre-release copies of "Mission to Mars" will be available at the shows prior to the official release

E

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Love Nektar.