Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New fan of NEKTAR, but with a few questions?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    The sunday night at the roundhouse cd available now is the full show, right? I think Cleopatra released that?
    Is that the remix you are talking about Jeff?
    I have the Eclectic/Dream Nebula version. I don't know if the Cleopatra is a clone of this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post

I want the two mixes of TAB cd that Dream Nebula put out, but it seems kinda spendy. It looks like Cleopatra is going to put it out, so I might wait until then
    I would wait. The Eclectic version of the original mix is still very compressed even if it beats the pants off the original CD. I don't recall much about the other (unreleased) mix except that it was interesting to hear ...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If I remember correctly, the original Sunday Night At The London Roundhouse album was split up between two different Eclectic releases: a couple of the tracks (the one that were actually recorded at the Roundhouse) appear on the Eclectic CD with the same title, and the others (taken from a "live in the studio" sesion) appeared on a CD called Unidentified Flying Abstract.
    No, the Eclectic release was the first appearance of the entire concert remastered. I think it's fantastic. You're thinking of the NY Academy of Music show that was on two discs before the Eclectic release pulled the entire show into one set.

I have all the Eclectic releases, except for "Magic is a Child." I also have the Bellaphon "Recycled," which has a fullness missing from the Eclectic. Nonetheless, I still think the Eclectic release are, on the whole, definitive. Several of those remasters have been released on subsequent labels.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    No, the Eclectic release was the first appearance of the entire concert remastered. I think it's fantastic. You're thinking of the NY Academy of Music show that was on two discs before the Eclectic release pulled the entire show into one set.

I have all the Eclectic releases, except for "Magic is a Child." I also have the Bellaphon "Recycled," which has a fullness missing from the Eclectic. Nonetheless, I still think the Eclectic release are, on the whole, definitive. Several of those remasters have been released on subsequent labels.
    Actually, GuitarGeek is correct. The live in the studio tracks from the original Roundhouse album were released on Unidentified Fying Abstract. Your correct as well regarding Live in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I would wait. The Eclectic version of the original mix is still very compressed even if it beats the pants off the original CD. I don't recall much about the other (unreleased) mix except that it was interesting to hear ...
    I think you’re confusing it with Recycled, which had the unreleased (Geoff Emerick) alternate mix. The alternate mix of Tab (Larry Fast) had been previously released, on Passport vinyl. For a lot of US listeners, this was the way they discovered the album, so it must have been a bit of a shock to hear it on CD for the first time, the Bellaphon disc being based off the original, drier German/UK mix. While my original vinyl copy of this album was the UK edition on United Artists, I have to say I prefer Larry Fast’s “proggier” mix to the original, though a lot of folks seem to disagree with me on that point.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Helena”-Gamma/Alpha

The Eclectic cd version has both mixes of TAB on one cd. I would like both mixes. I only have a copy burned from my vinyl (not sure which version, probably the US mix) and I really like that.
    I could get a copy of the It's All About Music version of TAB, but I have heard that those are cd-r and it only has one mix of the album.

I did just get the Recycled version with both mixes
    " The more I talk to people about music on the internet, the less I want to talk to people about music on the internet. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/ - the anything goes project

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/ - the metal project

http://myoldestfriend.bandcamp.com/ - the prog instrumental trio project

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think you’re confusing it with Recycled, which had the unreleased (Geoff Emerick) alternate mix. The alternate mix of Tab (Larry Fast) had been previously released, on Passport vinyl. For a lot of US listeners, this was the way they discovered the album, so it must have been a bit of a shock to hear it on CD for the first time, the Bellaphon disc being based off the original, drier German/UK mix. While my original vinyl copy of this album was the UK edition on United Artists, I have to say I prefer Larry Fast’s “proggier” mix to the original, though a lot of folks seem to disagree with me on that point.
    My bad. You're right.

I actually enjoy both mixes of Tab, with a preference for the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Actually, GuitarGeek is correct. The live in the studio tracks from the original Roundhouse album were released on Unidentified Fying Abstract. Your correct as well regarding Live in NY.
    Correct. I thought he was referring to the full Roundhouse show.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I prefer Larry Fast’s “proggier” mix to the original, though a lot of folks seem to disagree with me on that point.
    I like both, but lean toward the remix, since that was my first exposure to Nektar. Mo Moore also worked with Larry on the '76 remix.

For a really "in depth" discussion of the all mixes, remixes and a whole lot of other interesting Nektar related stuff, I should refer y'all to the "A Tab in the Ocean - Nektar" thread, which ran on the old prog ears for five years until this NEW PE format began. That's when Duncan archived that entire thread over here (see "archived threads"). Many of the aforementioned questions were answered in depth by Mo, Larry, Ron or myself.
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ve-Ears-Thread
    Meanwhile, similar discussions about later developments seem to be continuing right here....lol.
    This band will forever remain confusing, especially to a "new fan of Nektar".
    Last edited by Mick; 06-15-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Looks like Cleopatra are releasing TAB IN THE OCEAN in July
    Available 07/16/2013... it's on sale for 13.99 on Cleopatra site
    This is on the website:
    Special deluxe edition of the epic 1972 prog rock masterpiece that remains a landmark of the genre and one of the most popular albums of Nektar’s illustrious career!

This album showcases Nektar at their most progressive, featuring intricate guitar melodies, classically inspired keyboard playing, complex time signatures and boasts one of the first side-long compositions ever released!

Includes the original 1972 mix of the album plus the significantly different 1976 remix by Larry Fast PLUS a bonus disc of rarely heard Nektar live performances that are a must have for collectors!

Packaged in a deluxe digipak (CD) as well as a double gatefold (LP), this edition comes with detailed liner notes, rare photos, personal reflections from Nektar leader Roye Albrighton, and more!
    Last edited by The Czar; 06-24-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    " The more I talk to people about music on the internet, the less I want to talk to people about music on the internet. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/ - the anything goes project

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/ - the metal project

http://myoldestfriend.bandcamp.com/ - the prog instrumental trio project

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Although there was no lyric sheet with Down to Earth, a songbook was available with all the music, guitar chords and lyrics from both DTE and Remember the Future. It was a limited edition with photographs which appeared in those Esoteric packages, but also long out of print.
    It would have been really nice if Cleopatra had incorporated some of the songbook aspects with their re-release packaging of both albums, but as I no longer have any influence with the band or productions, lyrics from the songbook were probably overlooked, forgotten or ignored to reduce costs.
    "Our" Dream Nebula series of remastered albums remains the definitive classic Nektar catalog, as their bonus features (including booklets and packaging) were excellent.
    I have a copy of the original songbook with lyrics and sheet music. As soon as l can locate it l will list it on eBay. It is mighty cool. Only one there is? Maybe!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is "Fidgety Queen" about a fidgety queen, and if so, why is she fidgety?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is "Fidgety Queen" about a fidgety queen, and if so, why is she fidgety?
    Ask Nellie the Elephant.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

One of my favorite bands. Roye was pretty special.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Never heard this band before, so I figured I should.

I ordered the Rmemeber the Future box.

Did I make a good call?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Never heard this band before, so I figured I should.

I ordered the Rmemeber the Future box.

Did I make a good call?
    Their best album IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Their best album IMO.
    Along with "A Tab in the Ocean" and "Recycled."

"Recycled" tends to be cited as their most popular in the prog circles, but not by a whole lot.

Polmico, give them a spin on YouTube, and don't ignore the others from the classic era. Even "Evolution," one of the later releases, is a great one to check out.

Along with "A Tab in the Ocean" and "Recycled."

"Recycled" tends to be cited as their most popular in the prog circles, but not by a whole lot.

Polmico, give them a spin on YouTube, and don't ignore the others from the classic era. Even "Evolution," one of the later releases, is a great one to check out.
    Agree, they never made a bad album IMO. Their most recent "The Other Side" is great too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, they never made a bad album IMO. Their most recent "The Other Side" is great too.
    I agree. And few albums were alike, too. But the lyrics of the new one don't hold up as well as the classic ones, IMO. It's still very good and they should all be proud of keeping the candle burning.

I don't agree with Recycled being considered their best in prog circles. It seems to me prog fans usually consider either RtF or ATitO to be their best. Recycled seems pretty underrated imo.

Going in blind for this first album. If I like it, I’ll check out their other stuff.

Given that two of their albums have received the Esoteric treatment, I think it’s safe to wait for more reissues before scrounging around on Discogs for OOP treasures.

And thanks for the advice, everyone. Should’ve mentioned that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Going in blind for this first album. If I like it, I’ll check out their other stuff.

Given that two of their albums have received the Esoteric treatment, I think it’s safe to wait for more reissues before scrounging around on Discogs for OOP treasures.
    That could very well be their most inaccessible album, IMO. It's space rock. I would advise not judging the catalog by that outlier.

Inaccessible space rock! That's right up my alley!

I will, however, proceed with caution. The new Esoteric reissue includes a full live show. I'm guessing if I like that, then I'll pursue further.

Regardless, I'll post some thoughts when the Wayside package makes its way to my side of the world.

Looks like Recycled will be my next Nektar purchase.

^^^^^

I have the Eclectic releases, but would love to hear these new box sets. Those Eclectic CDs are going for some good money, I believe. I love them.