Thread: Recommendation for books about Prog subgenres?

Recommendation for books about Prog subgenres?

I have read "Rocking the Classics" by Edward Macan, "Beyond and Before" by Heigarty and Halliwell and R P I by Andrea Parentin, so i wonder if there are books about other prog subgenres such as Krautrock, Avant/RIO and Zeuhl that you guys would recommend? i don't know why but looking for books about aforementioned genres are difficult as there are not many of them, so i would appreciate your suggestions. Biography is just as cool

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Didn't Julian Cope write a book about Krautrock?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Yes and imo, it was very enthusiastic and really poorly informed and factually incorrect, as he was determined to squeeze late 60s and early 70s underground Germany into a post-punk mindset that it really didn't fit into.

imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustain View Post
    Avant/RIO

Bill Martin's Avant Rock
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Scented Gardens Of The Mind

The Crack In The Cosmic Egg

I'm checking them all now, thanks. z
    On the side note, is there articles on the internet that you guys would recommend? and do you think that Andrea Parentin book is a good reference of the Italian Prog scene?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    It had a fanboy approach. Better avoid and go for the Freeman brothers "A Crack in the Cosmic Egg" encyclopedia.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Rustain View Post
    ... is there articles on the internet that you guys would recommend?
    http://www-3.unipv.it/britishrock196.../spicereng.pdf

http://www-3.unipv.it/britishrock196...f/mooreeng.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~collaros623/yes.pdf

"Apocalyptic Otherness: Black Music and Extraterrestrial Identity in the Music of Magma." If you can find it.

"Bach Meets Liszt: Traditional Formal Structures and Performance Practices in Progressive Rock" ~ Nors S. Josephson
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Yes and imo, it was very enthusiastic and really poorly informed and factually incorrect, as he was determined to squeeze late 60s and early 70s underground Germany into a post-punk mindset that it really didn't fit into.
    I enjoyed Krautrocksampler way back when because it was my first chance to read much of anything about the German scene. You kids with your internets have no idea how hard it was to be into obscure, somewhat forgotten music while growing up in rural Georgia in the late 80s/early 90s. But yep, Steve's assessment is pretty spot-on.

I find it quite amazing that apparently every punk/post-punk artist and journo heard Yes/ELP/Genesis precisely one time, pegged them as the p-word and moved on to the more real, street, genuine likes of Can and Tangerine Dream. Hell's bells, Holger Czukay was a student of Stockhausen. Can you get any more academic, intellectual or, dare I say it, pretentious, than that? It all seems disingeninous and self-serving. IMO, as well.

Are there ANY books on Magma/Zeuhl? I've never heard of one, but wish someone would do it. Not a book, but the Romantic Warriors II doc is definitely worth a look for RIO/Zeuhl fans.

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    Are there ANY books on Magma/Zeuhl? I've never heard of one, but wish someone would do it. Not a book, but the Romantic Warriors II doc is definitely worth a look for RIO/Zeuhl fans.
    I have the 1978 biography of Magma written by television presenter, actor and film director Antoine de Caunes.

You can read it here (it is in french though): http://graillier.free.fr/pdf/misc/magma.pdf
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I have the 1978 biography of Magma written by television presenter, actor and film director Antoine de Caunes.
    I've been wanting to see that flick for as long as I can remember.

As for writings on Italian 70s rock (including but not limited to "prog"), there used to be some outtakes from the vast essayistic bibliography of Franco Fabbri (Stormy Six) available in English on the net, but I haven't been able to trace them in a while.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The Robert Wyatt biography, "Wrong Movements", does a good job of covering the origins of the Canterbury scene.