Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2246

Thread: King Crimson News

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    What's a hampersand?

I guess it's what you get when you throw all the clothes you used at the beach into the laundry hamper.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    What a douche you are. Seriously.
    No one misunderstood (even if misspelled Mastelotto's stylized name).

Back to the hole with you.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    I had no idea what you were talking about either. And I’m a really good guy.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Also...So now that the last KCCC is shipping, can someone shed some light on it?

Is the music on the CD different from Absent Lovers (aside from being a hell of lot less music)? What from the two shows was deemed acceptable to put out in audio form?

As much as I love 80s crim, I'm kind of hoping its all a repeat of AL. however, I fear it will be like 75% repeat, 25% new recordings.
    Now that this has been out for almost a month, I'll bump this question with the hope that more people have heard it.

also, maybe I'm dumb and should've known this from the beginning, but it appears the DVD for the montreal shows is audio only? Not brilliant there if so.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

^The Montreal show is indeed audio only. I haven't listened to it yet.

I also haven't watched the road movies from '82.

I have spun the CD half a dozen times or so. I'm not sure if the mix is different or if Absent Lovers has some studio doctoring, but this show is much rawer, more urgent sounding than AL. "Three of a Perfect Pair," in particular, feels like a different arrangement. (This might be addressed in the liner notes. I haven't read them yet.) Levin's bass at the beginning of "Larks' III" is angrier, growl-y-er (if you will). I would've swapped out "Heartbeat" for just about any other song played on that tour that's not on this disc, but it's still a really good "Heartbeat." I don't hate the song, but, you know, "Waiting Man" exists and is always better.

I should probably get around to examining the DVD at some point, but, thus far, the purchase is justified based on the CD alone. An incomplete review, I know, but at least it's enthusiastic.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^The Montreal show is indeed audio only. I haven't listened to it yet.

I also haven't watched the road movies from '82.

I have spun the CD half a dozen times or so. I'm not sure if the mix is different or if Absent Lovers has some studio doctoring, but this show is much rawer, more urgent sounding than AL. "Three of a Perfect Pair," in particular, feels like a different arrangement. (This might be addressed in the liner notes. I haven't read them yet.) Levin's bass at the beginning of "Larks' III" is angrier, growl-y-er (if you will). I would've swapped out "Heartbeat" for just about any other song played on that tour that's not on this disc, but it's still a really good "Heartbeat." I don't hate the song, but, you know, "Waiting Man" exists and is always better.

I should probably get around to examining the DVD at some point, but, thus far, the purchase is justified based on the CD alone. An incomplete review, I know, but at least it's enthusiastic.
    Yeah, looking at the setlist options, swapping out Man With An Open Heart and Heartbeat for Waiting Man and Discipline would have made it the perfect setlist.

But thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I hate the fact that the DVD is audio only. What is the point of that. But......being a fanboy I was probably always going to get it, and this does make it sound like I should do so sooner rather than later, but I'm certainly going to grouse a bit more first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What's a hampersand?

I guess it's what you get when you throw all the clothes you used at the beach into the laundry hamper.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Yeah, looking at the setlist options, swapping out Man With An Open Heart and Heartbeat for Waiting Man and Discipline would have made it the perfect setlist.

But thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I hate the fact that the DVD is audio only. What is the point of that. But......being a fanboy I was probably always going to get it, and this does make it sound like I should do so sooner rather than later, but I'm certainly going to grouse a bit more first.
    Yeah, I feel ya. Kinda had to buy this, but I’m not mad that I did.

That’s usually the story, isn’t it?

Sorry for this lazy question. What would people suggest as the best of the live recordings from the final KC era? I got Live In Toronto from 2015, but nothing after that. Pretty sure this has been discussed on the thread at some point, but it's 90 pages...

Thanks for any suggestions!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Sorry for this lazy question. What would people suggest as the best of the live recordings from the final KC era? I got Live In Toronto from 2015, but nothing after that. Pretty sure this has been discussed on the thread at some point, but it's 90 pages...

I have Radical Actions, which is unmissable if only for the filmed concert, and Orpheum (which isn't my fave anymore, to say the least - I can't believe its poor rating in PA, though) & Chicago.

Toronto is fantastic, if only for Starless, but I think it's a KCCC thingie.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

Live In Chicago for a amazingly smoking live set. Meltdown for a best overview of this lineup (which is no slouch it self of course)

Audio Diary is a good 'un, and inexpensive (for a box) at Amazon at the moment.

Live In Chicago for a amazingly smoking live set. Meltdown for a best overview of this lineup (which is no slouch it self of course)
    That Chicago show was fantastic in person. It has been great seeing it get so much love as I tend to always wonder if I'm overrating something I saw in person.

^The Chicago set is indeed excellent. If you can only get one, get that.

But …

Does anyone else have a gut feeling that a box of this band’s output will eventually emerge? Wouldn’t it look nice sitting next to the Heaven and Earth box? And a sequenced, studio enhanced and 5.1 mixed album of the new tunes would, of course, be included.

I mean, I’d buy it.

This is *exactly* what I was going to suggest!

Another good feature of the Audio Diary set is that it features contributions from everybody who appeared, including Chris Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    This is *exactly* what I was going to suggest!

^The Chicago set is indeed excellent. If you can only get one, get that.

But …

Does anyone else have a gut feeling that a box of this band’s output will eventually emerge? Wouldn’t it look nice sitting next to the Heaven and Earth box? And a sequenced, studio enhanced and 5.1 mixed album of the new tunes would, of course, be included.

I mean, I’d buy it.
    It is certainly possible, as enough stuff has been teased and there is there tours that are not represented by some documented evidence (and it seems everything or nearly everything was recorded). Although with H&E and this last KCCC (and the long delay with 1969 boxset), my gut tells me DGM has lost the mojo for these big box sets and are just going through the motions to finish. I certainly would be interested in a box set (depending on contents of course), so in a way I hope they do.

Yeah, I feel ya. Kinda had to buy this, but I’m not mad that I did.

That’s usually the story, isn’t it?
    Isn't it indeed. Such is the life!

Also, is there an easy way to rip the audio DVD to mp3 files? I don't see any scenario where I would actually "watch" a DVD-A and would like to get something out of it. (And it would make the exclusion of half the set from the audio CD more palatable.)

my gut tells me DGM has lost the mojo for these big box sets and are just going through the motions to finish.
    From the DGM forum (17 may 2024) : "the large box sets have become too expensive to manufacture".

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    From the DGM forum (17 may 2024) : "the large box sets have become too expensive to manufacture".
    Ah. Well that's quite a shame for a multitude of reasons.

Amy from DGM USA sent an email yesterday stating that she is stepping aside after 24 years

this also will CLOSE the Inner Knot US store and revert to a single UK based DGM store for physical product

stock up!

" I have been overseeing the North American territory, including mail order via The Schizoid Shop, for 27+ years. I have enjoyed this job immensely, but it is time for a change. Business is such that it makes sense to consolidate and run all operations out of Europe. DGM is continuing on with the download shop, and I know they have releases to come. This change affects only Inner Knot and The Schizoid Shop, and I want to make sure you either use your credit or I will submit a refund to you in any amounts unused.

I am working to shut things down by the end of this month.

It has been a pleasure working with all of you these many years. I will soon be announcing this news to the entire mailing list, but I did not want anyone with credit remaining on a gift certificate to worry when reading the news. I want you to know your credit will be honored.

My very best wishes,
    Amy "

Isn't it indeed. Such is the life!

Also, is there an easy way to rip the audio DVD to mp3 files? I don't see any scenario where I would actually "watch" a DVD-A and would like to get something out of it. (And it would make the exclusion of half the set from the audio CD more palatable.)
    I haven't found a reliably "easy" way, but it can be done with VLC media player although the process is so convoluted and error-prone that half the time I just record the audio from my soundcard while playing it, after having shut off all system sounds and notifications and any browsers to avoid glitching things up on my crappy old laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I haven't found a reliably "easy" way, but it can be done with VLC media player although the process is so convoluted and error-prone that half the time I just record the audio from my soundcard while playing it, after having shut off all system sounds and notifications and any browsers to avoid glitching things up on my crappy old laptop.
    Yes, in general you can use Audacity to capture any audio from your PC (presuming you have a DVD player like VLC on your PC).
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

I use Goldwave, which I believe was free but kept reminding me that I really should send them some money for it, which I did. I find it a little easier to use than Audacity.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 1 Week Ago at 03:13 PM.

I suppose I’m having trouble accepting the idea that Crimso is really done. There’s little left in the archives (at least, little that I or anyone else who owns all the boxes hasn’t heard). There’s likely to never be another tour or new tune.

I know many of you have spent longer with the band than I, but like many of you, I found them in my teens. I bought Thrak when it was released. I remember staring at The Great Deceiver at the local shop wondering what exactly an improv is and how “Cat Food” could be pulled off live—with a violin no less!

The band mean a lot to me, and I know that’s true for the players as much as any, so I don’t begrudge them their rest or retirement.

Maybe there’s something left, but maybe I should give up that ghost, too. It’s hard. I didn’t think it would be.

But it is.

Hobo Chang Ba (and if you can type that or read that without using your best Beefheart impression, you’re a stronger person than I) is absolutely correct. No more big boxes is troubling for many different reasons.

The biggest? It’s over. It’s done.

As I was leaving The Anthem in DC, after Crimso played (presumably—still presumably) their final American show, I repeatedly shouted, to no one in particular, “That’s it. There’s no more. It’s done.”

Ach. I was trying to convince myself, wasn’t I?

Thank you to all the musicians. Thank you for all the time.

Thank you to Amy at DGM.

Thank you to the fans.

Thank you, King Crimson. This band means too much to me. I’m done, and I’m happy.