Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Prog Drum break...

The Enemy God

Fastest Prog Drum break...

OK bit of fun here - I'll offer up Carl Palmer's second drum break off Food For Your Soul , Works Vol 1.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do synthetic drums count?

Carl is definitely the fastest technically--so take your pick!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Try counting 'em "breaks" and the separate hits in there.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

How about the break in Clocks by Steve Hackett

I can't think of a specific moment, but anything by Furio Chrico from the first 2 Arti e Mestieri albums.

Furio is definitely faster, and just as creative, as Carl. He proved it at the 2005 edition of Baja Prog where both drummers appeared with their bands.

What was really great, was that both of these over 50 drummers outperformed every other drummer there!
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I'm not really sure what a drum break is. Is that the same as a solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm not really sure what a drum break is. Is that the same as a solo?
    Don't feel bad, I'm not really sure either

The guy from Long Fin Killie is pretty special, some people call it prog...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

There are probably faster ones that I'm not aware of, but I'm gonna say Lenny White in "Medieval Overture." (RTF)

Quote Originally Posted by Adv3MP View Post
    There are probably faster ones that I'm not aware of, but I'm gonna say Lenny White in "Medieval Overture." (RTF)
    If Fusion is game then Billy Cobham in... wherever

That little bit near the beginning of “Eternity’s Breath” by Mahavishnu Orchestra, just before the main melody kicks in. It didn’t make me miss Billy Cobham, but it sure made me appreciate NMW a lot more!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“Angel Voyeur”-Jane Siberry/Teenager

Yeah, Cobham came immediately to mind
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Yeah, Cobham came immediately to mind
    yup... but then Alphonse Mouzon did some major butt kickin on Mind Transplant too. Only Furio Chirico is up there with those 2. And even though Lenny is by far my favorite Prog drummer, he isn't known as much for his speed as his lyricism in my book.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Billy, NRD, Lenny White, Tony Williams, Alphonse, Peter Erskine... all those cats are pretty sick

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    When listening to Michi de Rossi doing his drumsolo last month, I wanted him to take a break fast! Does that count ?
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

OK, maybe not "prog," but I think it's just plain dopey to limit such a discussion to prog ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8W7G3vLRoU

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Furio Chirico
    For fastest drumming, Furio is who came immediately to my mind, such as the intro to 'Sagra' from 'Giro Der Valzer...'

One of my favourites is Bunker's initial break on Dharma for one, with the thrown off snare before the main solo itself starts.

Pierre van der linden played some blistering short solos.

For actual beats and not just soloing, it's probably some of the fusion cats.Cobham with Vital transformation, one word etc

Hard to leave out Virgil Donati from this conversation. I know he's known for his insane poly-rhythms and limb independence, but he's got plain old speed to spare. He's got another gear that most drummers don't even know exists.

What about Vinny Colaiuta on Joe's Garage?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Barrie Barlow "Hunting Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    One of my favourites is Bunker's initial break on Dharma for one, with the thrown off snare before the main solo itself starts.

Pierre van der linden played some blistering short solos.
    I 2nd both of these....

that new kid in Stanley Clarke's band is awesome too... Ronald Bruner
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

If it's speed ye wants, laddies, then ye can't fergit Mike Mangini....

or Marco Minneman
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.