Page 50 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2235

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

NP: Candlemass...Astorolus The Great Octopus....featuring Mr. IOMMI.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    "Of Brine And Angel's Beak" is a new CD of English band Azure. The album consists of some catchy tunes and can be recommended to anyone who is into the more proggy & melodic branch of power metal. All along this album, we're exposed to passionate vocals, rush rhythms, fast drumming, lovely guitar playing, pleasant synth-work that filling out the space in an almost orchestral way. A delightful record indeed!

Don’t think I can get past those vocals, and I’m not usually bothered by vocals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don’t think I can get past those vocals, and I’m not usually bothered by vocals.
    How we all hear the things differently! To these ears, vocals fit the music just fine. Personally, I think that atmosphere would be less proggy if the vocals are, let's say, "more metallic".

The other day I was playing Empire by Queensryche. I should look for Operation Mindcrime also since I haven't played that in a while. Other than those I don't have much by them and the other ones I do have aren't very good.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The other day I was playing Empire by Queensryche. I should look for Operation Mindcrime also since I haven't played that in a while. Other than those I don't have much by them and the other ones I do have aren't very good.
    Do you have their first full-length album, The Warning? Arguably their best.

Gene Hoglan. Holy shite this cat is great. Different yet I think this guy is approaching Tomas Hakke level (from an overall musicality standpoint). His time keeping is just metronomic and you can tell from the effortless manner in which he plays that this music is engraved and sketched in his heart and mind.

PS - Hoglan apparently subbed for Lopez on an Opeth gig in 2005 at the last minute. He apparently learned the set by listening to it only 4 hours or so before the gig, or legend says. The audio is on YT and he did a bang-up job.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Do you have their first full-length album, The Warning? Arguably their best.
    No, not yet. The other ones I have besides the two I mentioned are Y2k which is pretty lame and the covers album which is ok for a covers album but probably non essential to most. I noticed that Geoff Tate is touring and will be in my area but I'll probably pass.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

No, not yet. The other ones I have besides the two I mentioned are Y2k which is pretty lame and the covers album which is ok for a covers album but probably non essential to most. I noticed that Geoff Tate is touring and will be in my area but I'll probably pass.
    Garbage. Get rid of 'em. The ones you want are:

Queensrÿche (Debut EP)
    The Warning
    Rage for Order
    Operation: Mindcrime
    (don't bother with the 2006 sequel)
    Empire

With current singer Todd LaTorre:

Condition Human (2016)
    The Verdict (2019)

^Those two new albums are their best since 1990.

It's tragic what a joke Tate turned into.

Garbage. Get rid of 'em. The ones you want are:

Queensrÿche (Debut EP)
    The Warning
    Rage for Order
    Operation: Mindcrime
    (don't bother with the 2006 sequel)
    Empire

With current singer Todd LaTorre:

Condition Human (2016)
    The Verdict (2019)

^Those two new albums are their best since 1990.

It's tragic what a joke Tate turned into.
    I meant to say Q2K but seriously who cares?

So Operation Mindcrime II is a no go? Also, what about Promised Land?

I have already have Empire and OMC although I need to listen to the latter a bit more.

Get the others. Those can wait. Promised Land was a disappointment (two, maybe three, good songs).

Get the others. Those can wait. Promised Land was a disappointment (two, maybe three, good songs).
    Really? It has a higher rating on Progarchives than the Warning or Empire. Maybe they have crappy taste. Actually Empire is a bit spotty if I were to be totally honest. Maybe three or four good to great songs and the rest just ok (imo). Nothing really bad though I suppose. Anyway, I'll look into the others regardless.

Really? It has a higher rating on Progarchives than the Warning or Empire. Maybe they have crappy taste. Actually Empire is a bit spotty if I were to be totally honest. Maybe three or four good to great songs and the rest just ok (imo). Nothing really bad though I suppose. Anyway, I'll look into the others regardless.
    Empire has some iffy songs, but its highs make up for that. Promised Land goes into territory better avoided — which they plunged headlong into on the next album. Tate ruined them. (And then they got rid of him and bounced back!)

As for PA's ratings, tastes are subjective. Let your ears be the judge. The Warning ranks as an '80s metal classic. I'll leave it at that.

I meant to say Q2K but seriously who cares?

I have already have Empire and OMC although I need to listen to the latter a bit more.
    Different strokes……I really liked “Promised Land” and feel it is the last great album with Tate at the helm. Of the later Tate albums “Mindcrime II” does not come close to the first one, but it is a decent album. I also liked “American Soldier” a lot.

As Dropforge mentioned you should check out the Todd LaTorre albums. I think all 3 of them are great and resurrects the sound of early Queensryche. Really good stuff for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Different strokes……I really liked “Promised Land” and feel it is the last great album with Tate at the helm. Of the later Tate albums “Mindcrime II” does not come close to the first one, but it is a decent album. I also liked “American Soldier” a lot.
    I liked Promised Land a lot more when it was new. After Empire and seeing them live twice on that tour (both shows drop-kicked me like Jackie Chan shoving me out of the way at Pink's), I was so freakin' excited, I drove around on the freeway (bad FM reception in my apartment) so I could hear the guys chat and debut the song "My Global Mind" on an L.A. station. They chose the right one: I was excited!

The next one I heard was "I Am I" via the video on eMpTyVee. Pretty good, but I expected something a little more uptempo and ballsy (the way they slammed us with "Best I Can" and "Empire").

Alas, the overall album hasn't aged well for me.

As Dropforge mentioned you should check out the Todd LaTorre albums. I think all 3 of them are great and resurrects the sound of early Queensryche. Really good stuff for sure.
    The first one with Todd's alright, but when you compare it to the next two, it feels like a warm-up! I'm glad the band regained its footing (and much respect).
    Last edited by dropforge; 08-18-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Ok, so which of the early QR albums can be considered early prog metal? Operation Mindcrime sounded like 80's metal with art rock elements(or prog elements)but not really full blown prog or prog metal imo. Or maybe the prog metal tag has been a bit overstated with them.

Despite the fact that I have two of their non essential releases I am not someone who has to have everything they own. I probably bought those because they were cheap. I'm not even really that much of a metal fan(at least compared to most on here) but like it sometimes and figure Queensryche have some albums that are more or less essential to the metal genre(and not just prog metal). Anyway, I'll keep those later albums in mind. Thanks.

I liked Promised Land

The first one with Todd's alright, but when you compare it to the next two, it feels like a warm-up! I'm glad the band regained its footing (and much respect).
    Good point. I like the first one, but for me the 2nd one "Condition Human" is the best of the 3.

Despite the fact that I have two of their non essential releases I am not someone who has to have everything they own. I probably bought those because they were cheap. I'm not even really that much of a metal fan(at least compared to most on here) but like it sometimes and figure Queensryche have some albums that are more or less essential to the metal genre(and not just prog metal). Anyway, I'll keep those later albums in mind. Thanks.
    To give you an idea of what they sound like today, here is the single from their most recent album. I think it kicks ass. I saw them live just before COVID hit and they were great. LaTorre can hit all those high notes that Tate can't anymore.

To give you an idea of what they sound like today, here is the single from their most recent album. I think it kicks ass. I saw them live just before COVID hit and they were great. LaTorre can hit all those high notes that Tate can't anymore.

Sounds like DeGarmo could have written it and that's high praise.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks Steve. That actually sounds pretty good. The singer reminds me a bit of Geoff sometimes actually but I think it's more the way he sings than his actual voice if that makes sense.

Rage for Order is i.m.o. their masterpiece and an album ahead of its time (when it comes to metal).

The Warning still sounds very rewarding and comes close. These are the albums I've kept from them. Operation Mindcrime didn't stand the test of time.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Two albums I bought in my early prog discovery phase around 1998-2000:

DT.....Images and Words
    Queensryche......Operation Mindcrime

Couldn't stand either and got rid of 'em. But what the hell, I queued up The Warning on YT for listening this weekend.

Banned
    Scott Reed is a guitar virtuoso based in South Australia, and this prog-metal album is his first full-length. The compositions are pretty cool, and the soundscapes are dreamily, haunting and sublime, what the synthesizer contributed a lot with its extensive presence, which is positive to me. Though I have said this is prog-metal, the music of Scott Reed offers might appeal to any prog-head, not only the prog-metal ones. This entirely instrumental album is surely one of my metal favourites from this year!

Heard a few tracks from Warning. It's NWOBHM af. Kinda generic but the one track I've heard so far that kept my interest is NM 156 (or 1 fifty something).