Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kinds of strings do you use?

What kinds of strings do you use?

Why are they your faves?

R. Gould six string sets with taper-core B and E. But those are bass strings, eh?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Shoe strings.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

You rebel! Do you eat your parsley too?

DR HiBeams in a custom guage they do for me.

For electrics I was a die hard Dean Markley guy for years. Just recently I tried D'Addario XL110's again for the first time in about 20 years. Either they're better or I'm different because I TOTALLY love them. and they're cheap... With 30 guitars, you just can't beat that.
    For acoustics I have a theory that every guitar has a "right" set. I'm using 80/20 Elixir Nanos on my gigging Taylors (t-5 and 814ce) because they sound EXACTLY the same through the PA as any other strings and last 20 times longer. For recording and for my non-gigging acoustics (Taylor GS Limited and Takamine NP25C and 1970 square shoulder Gibson J45) I've been using (unbelieveably) Gibson acoustic strings.

A few months ago I put DiAddario "Chromes" flatwound strings on my Rickenbacker 4001, after using Rotosound or GHS roundwounds for the previous 38 years, and it sounds MORE like a Rickenbacker than it EVER did with the roundwounds. The fundamental is much more clear and punchy, and the attack is even better than with roundwounds. On my various guitars I use all sorts of guages, the lightest are standard 10's and the heaviest are a custom set I use on my Gretsch G5127: 14-16-20-32-42-54.

For electrics my boy prefers and always uses D'Addario. 9-42s on the 2 Super Strats and 2 Telecasters. 10-46s on the 2 Les Pauls and PRS. Uses Martin 12-14 sets on his Martin.

Electric 6-string: D'Addario Electric Guitar Half Round Stainless Regular Lite, .010 - .046, EHR310
    Electric 12-string: GHS Electric Guitar 12 String Boomers Roundwound Ex. Light, .009 - .040, GB-12XL
    Acoustic 6-string: C.F. Martin Acoustic Guitar Six String 80/20 Bronze Light, .012 - .054, MSP-3100
    Acoustic 12-string: Ernie Ball Twelve String Acoustic Guitar - Earthwood 12 String Light, .009 - .046, 2010

Ernie Ball Super Slinky. I've never had a reason to change.

Rotosound 0.9 on guitars with regular tuning. (Fender strats). When downtuned i use rotosound 0.11 on my Parker Fly Deluxe and my Schecter Hellraiser.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Thomastik Enfeld (TI) Roundwound 14-55. Simply the best.

Ernie Ball Super Slinkys for 33 years and counting.

Me too!!

Ernie Balls 10s.

Dean Markley .009-.042's (Blue Steel or regular)

On electric guitars: D'Addario 10s
    On bass: Rotosound 66 Swing Bass
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I only play accoustic. I use Elixer Phosphor Bronze Nanowebs. I hate the sound that happens when you slide your fingers down the strings and these are the least noisy strings I could find. They are very easy to play and have a nice warm tone to them.

I used to buy Dean Markley, but after DR Strings were introduced I changed to that brand. 10-52 is the gauges I have been using for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I only play accoustic. I use Elixer Phosphor Bronze Nanowebs... They are very easy to play and have a nice warm tone to them.
    This is mostly true of me as well, though I find myself playing more electric and bass these days. For acoustic I specifically used ony Elixir Nanoweb for years, although recently I have been torn between these and the Martin SPs. For bass I recently tried some DRs and man did they sound good! For electric I usually just go with basic Fenders, or sometimes Elixirs as well if I can afford them at the time.

Really liking both Martin AND D'Addario phosphor bronze 80/20 acoustic strings, 0.10's, bright chimey tone, good longevity.
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

D'Addario XL .10s. They're the only non-coated strings I've found that don't break. I was breaking E and B strings like mad before I discovered them. GHS, Fender, Dean Markleys, it didn't matter; I'd break 'em all, sometimes the same day I put new strings on. Since I discovered D'Addarios, I haven't broken a string in well over two years. I think it's because of the air-tight packaging. Strings that sit in those little paper envelopes that everybody else uses can become corroded before you ever put them on your guitar. AND the D'Addarios sound great!

I was restringing my guitar on the weekend and broke a brand new Elixer string as I was tuning. The only other strings I had were D'Addarios. So I now have a D'Addario G-string. But generally I don't like 'em. Too loud when I slide.

I usually put Elixir Nanowebs on my acoustic. I find they sound great and (usually) last a very long time. I'd been using light gauge for years, but lately, I've used mediums. As backup (cheaper) strings, I use D'Addarios. As for my electric (which I don't play as much), I usually just use plain D'Addario XL's, but I'm much less brand loyal to those.

GHS Brite Flats on my basses.