Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yer favorite album with Robert Fripp that's NOT a King Crimson or solo Fripp release?

VDGG - Pawn Hearts.
    I don't think Fripp's contribution was essential for this record. The only remembered fragment of his presence is that short guitar solo in Man-Erg, which isn't very articulable IMO. For instance, compare this to real terrific guitar solo he did for John Paul Jones album Thunderthief ( the song Leafy Meadows) And on Bowie's Law, or Eno's Another Green World there's some of Fripp's finest playing. On the other side, for VdGG Fripp didn't contrive anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I don't think Fripp's contribution was essential for this record. The only remembered fragment of his presence is that short guitar solo in Man-Erg, which isn't very articulable IMO. For instance, compare this to real terrific guitar solo he did for John Paul Jones album Thunderthief ( the song Leafy Meadows) And on Bowie's Law, or Eno's Another Green World there's some of Fripp's finest playing. On the other side, for VdGG Fripp didn't contrive anything special.
    Don't recall a Fripp solo on Man Erg, but I disagree about his not doing anything special w/VdGG. As someone else mentioned, the solo in The Emperor in his War Room is pretty great (and was an influence on John Frusciante and Mars Volta when they collaborated).

Banned
    WTF? Nobody mentioned Sacred Songs from Daryl Hall? That's my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I don't think Fripp's contribution was essential for this record. The only remembered fragment of his presence is that short guitar solo in Man-Erg, which isn't very articulable IMO.
    I completely agree that Fripp's contribution on Pawn Hearts is inconsequential. I spent years trying to even find his contribution. I think it's buried somewhere in A "Plage of Lighthouse Keepers," though, not in "Man-Erg."

I appreciate all the opinions though. I will certainly be checking out some Roches albums after years and years of avoiding them, and I may have to look into Sylvian/Fripp's The First Day due to the number of times that one's been mentioned.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

^ For years, I was convinced that it was PH's slide guitar (he is credited with it) on "Man-Erg," but I think a thread on PE convinced me otherwise. He is definitely on "Plague," though. But, yeah, inconsequential stuff.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Eno & Fripp - Evening star

A few more stand out albums with inconsequential Fripp appearances:
    Porcupine Tree: Fear of a Blank Planet
    Adrian Belew: side three

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    WTF? Nobody mentioned Sacred Songs from Daryl Hall? That's my vote.
    I did, first page! And someone else too, have to go back and look...

Edit- IM Weasel, post 42.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I did, first page! And someone else too, have to go back and look...

Edit- IM Weasel, post 42.
    Damn, I skimmed this thread too fast!! Apologizes.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I agree it's a great tune, but not Fripp. That's David Byrne on guitar I think.

I always assumed it was Adrian Belew, but don't see him in the credits...
    I wondered about that, didn't remember Fripp. I think he has producer credit or something. But guitar is Byrne & 'soundscape' stuff is Eno on synth, I think

Quote Originally Posted by JSS View Post
    I wondered about that, didn't remember Fripp. I think he has producer credit or something. But guitar is Byrne & 'soundscape' stuff is Eno on synth, I think
    According to the Eno biography On Some Faraway Beach, that is Fripp uncredited on "Regiment."

Damn, I skimmed this thread too fast!! Apologizes.
    Hey, I'm just glad to have some support

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post

Fripp's solo starting at 2:46
    Wow, what a nice track

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I agree it's a great tune, but not Fripp. That's David Byrne on guitar I think.

I always assumed it was Adrian Belew, but don't see him in the credits...
    I just looked at it. Fripp is given a credit on arrangement (along with something like five other people) but not guitar.

I guess he was hanging out in the studio as they were putting it together.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

"Distributed Being" from Eno's Nerve Net contains one of the sickest Fripp solos ever. Also, "Troppo" from David Cross' Exiles album contains some sick Fripp; that track features Peter Hammill on vocals. Of course, Peter Gabriel's "White Shadow", already mentioned, deserves additional mentioning.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    "Distributed Being" from Eno's Nerve Net contains one of the sickest Fripp solos ever.
    3:56ish
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Don't recall a Fripp solo on Man Erg, but I disagree about his not doing anything special w/VdGG. As someone else mentioned, the solo in The Emperor in his War Room is pretty great (and was an influence on John Frusciante and Mars Volta when they collaborated).
    Iirc,the original album credited Robert Fripp-Electric Razor. There's no way I could have made that up,me and my prog pals used to LOL over that,we couldn't locate the damn thing though. I have the original cd and don't think that credit is on there,but not sure and too damn tired to get up walk into the next room and try and find it. lol Whattya say VdGG experts?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Iirc,the original album credited Robert Fripp-Electric Razor. There's no way I could have made that up,me and my prog pals used to LOL over that,we couldn't locate the damn thing though. I have the original cd and don't think that credit is on there,but not sure and too damn tired to get up walk into the next room and try and find it. lol Whattya say VdGG experts?
    I think that it was either Guy Evans or David Jackson that was credited for razor.

^Banton.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^Banton.
    Damn, I knew. That was actually going to be my next guess. That would make sense, because Hugh could probably coax some cutting sounds from his Farfisa.

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    I completely agree that Fripp's contribution on Pawn Hearts is inconsequential.
    Nonetheless, it is my favorite album which has Fripp aboard. OP didn't say Fripp contribution should be very impressive to count
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Sylvian/Fripp - "The First Day", "Damage"
    Bowie - "Heroes", "Scary Monster"
    Gabriel III
    Fripp/Eno - "No Pussyfooting"
    David Sylvian - "Gone to Earth"
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbie View Post
    Sylvian/Fripp - "The First Day", "Damage"
    Bowie - "Heroes", "Scary Monster"
    Gabriel III
    Fripp/Eno - "No Pussyfooting"
    David Sylvian - "Gone to Earth"
    Fripp only plays guitar on three songs from PG 3. The rest is David Rhodes and David Gregory, with Paul Weller featured on one track.

Damn, I knew. That was actually going to be my next guess. That would make sense, because Hugh could probably coax some cutting sounds from his Farfisa.
    HB is credited with the psychedelic razor, and its appearance is at the beginning of Cog (a section of Lemmings). From Van der Graaf Generator: The Book page 124-25, HB: "There was a gap in the recording. Peter and I had gone to our parents' homes in Derby and Torquay, respectively. We both had reel to reel tape recorders with us at our homes and, coincidentally, both started messing around making electronic tapes. So I took my tape out of the capstan so I could rotate it by hand. I found that I could put it in record mode and get it to rewind at the same time, so it would record at about 200 ips and so on, backwards and forwards. I was recording a battery shaver, and it was just this incredible noise. Peter, meanwhile, was doing stuff with guitar frets and things. So we both said to each other 'You've got to hear this tape I made!' We put it together and that's what you hear at the beginning of 'Cog'."

scary monsters/ashes to ashes awesome guitar and amazing ending fade out......