Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magma - EPOK V

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    You're very welcome, Frank! I actually mentioned this one in our PM conversation a week or so ago, and I really think you would dig it.
    Yeah - I knew it at least sounded familiar
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

A few questions for the Magma nerds:

1) What is the piece that is played at the closing credits of Epok 3? It sounds like a fairly mellow studio track with flute. Doesn't ring a bell.

2) Where would I have heard "Hhai/Zombies" besides Live/Hhai, Epok 3, and Udu Wudu? Is there another official live album where this sequence appears?

Danke-tai!

There are 3 current threads on Magma and one on Weidorje! Yes-fans, eat our dust!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    There are 3 current threads on Magma and one on Weidorje! Yes-fans, eat our dust!
    Why are we stopping at 3? I haven't even received my ER DVD yet!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Why are we stopping at 3? I haven't even received my ER DVD yet!
    Who said we are?

You people got me in a serious binge here

Just finished watching the first track of the Epok V DVD (Attahk). Awesome!

Also, I think I found a secret message encoded in CV's arm hair, but it would feel wrong to share it here.
    <sig out of order>

PS - I know that Daddy J-Top is the Grandpappy from the goode olde daze, and he's a real bad monkey, but Bussonett is simply unparalleled on this stuff - I think he's the best bass player Magma ever had.
    Total blasphemy !

I think Bussonet is more versatile both technically and musically, but less edgy than Paga or Top, who sort of invented that bass style and sound - and they composed.
    Top is a magician at times, checkout "Sowiloï + KMX - EXII - opus 3" on Inedits, or Akt XIII: BBC 1974 Londres, while Paga has a more fluent forward projecting style, fabulous on Live Hhai 75.
    But since Bussonet stayed MUCH longer in the band, probably easier to work with for Vander, and he always deliver.

re: Bussonet

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    and he always deliver.
    Always. He's the secret, irreplacable weapon of the last 2 decades of Magma, imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

And again, I agree. He is an astonishing bassist.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I think Bussonet is more versatile both technically and musically, but less edgy than Paga or Top, who sort of invented that bass style and sound - and they composed.
    Top is a magician at times, checkout "Sowiloï + KMX - EXII - opus 3" on Inedits, or Akt XIII: BBC 1974 Londres, while Paga has a more fluent forward projecting style, fabulous on Live Hhai 75.
    But since Bussonet stayed MUCH longer in the band, probably easier to work with for Vander, and he always deliver.
    I think this post sums up pretty well the way I see the status of each of the main bassists in Magma's career.

Perhaps I'm biased because I've seen Magma live three times with Bubu, and never with Paga or Top (except for the dvd series), but overall Bubu is my fave among all.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Total blasphemy !
    Possibly!

As a bass player myself, I just find more things to admire in Bubu's playing. His playing seems effortless and there are virtually no boundaries to what the guy can do. Every time I watch him (usually on the DVD's) there are always moments that consistently blow me away. Top does a wonderful job on MDK on Epok 2, but its not Earth shattering to my ears (and eyes). I do see the amazing historical significance in his approach of course.

Is it silly to compare these guys? I guess it is, but we just love our lists and ranking things (guilty and raises hand).

When evaluating top don't use Epok II
    Use his 70's performances
    I find him pretty underwhelming on Epok II
    I can appreciate Bubu but I am never moved by him
    He sounds consistently muddy
    man to imagine what the 70's Top would do with a piece like Slag Tanz...

https://youtu.be/ugtTIs11Z_o

Guy destroys both these fellows...

Possibly!

As a bass player myself, I just find more things to admire in Bubu's playing. His playing seems effortless and there are virtually no boundaries to what the guy can do. Every time I watch him (usually on the DVD's) there are always moments that consistently blow me away. Top does a wonderful job on MDK on Epok 2, but its not Earth shattering to my ears (and eyes). I do see the amazing historical significance in his approach of course.

Is it silly to compare these guys? I guess it is, but we just love our lists and ranking things (guilty and raises hand).
    Checkout "Sowiloï + KMX - EXII - opus 3" and "KMX - BXII - opus 7"on Inedits.
    Breathtaking magic, gives 'bass shredding' another dimension.

Well, let's compare:

OK, the E-R DVD is just incredible. Taken as a whole, this trilogy is easily as good as the TH Trilogy, possibly better., but its really splitting hairs as both trilogies are just amazing. I don't really give a strawberry frosting covered cupcake that the flow amongst the three pieces isn't glossy smooth - it works well enough for me, I enjoy it for what it is, and I do hear themes that keep these pieces connected. One of the best music DVD's that I now own easily. If you don't have this and you are a Magma fan, I suggest you get on it. 11/10.

That solo by James is just breathtaking in the ER DVD. It KILLS me- and watch Bubu basically (heh heh) rip his own head off he plays so hard. I do not understand how he does not have whiplash.

I ordered both EPOK I and IV a while back from 7th - both say Multi-Region. Both of these suckers won't play in my BluRay player, which sucks the big one. All of my other EPOKs (which also say Multi-Region) play just fine. Has anybody experienced this or are these the European formats mislabeled? Or is my BluRay player just being an assmuncher?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I ordered both EPOK I and IV a while back from 7th - both say Multi-Region. Both of these suckers won't play in my BluRay player, which sucks the big one. All of my other EPOKs (which also say Multi-Region) play just fine. Has anybody experienced this or are these the European formats mislabeled? Or is my BluRay player just being an assmuncher?
    I bought a Sony Blue Ray Multi-region DVD player for a little over $200 (Cdn). It plays anything!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I bought a Sony Blue Ray Multi-region DVD player for a little over $200 (Cdn). It plays anything!!
    Do you know the model? Cheers.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    SONY BDP-S1700 Multi Zone All Region Codefree System Blu Ray Disc DVD Player - PAL/NTSC - USB - Comes with 6 Feet HDMI Cable
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Iluvatar
    Huh?

Iluvatar
    Was testing the feature - no worries mates!

Quick note:

Was reviewing this post.

I am on track to purchase the first 6 albums of Magma. Got my pizza money almost saved up.

Question? What bass is he playing? Squire (YES) played a Rickenbacker bass. He was one of the few bassists that you could actually hear. Magma’s bassist is all over the place and quite audible. What bass was that dude (Bubu???) playing?

I have been listening to some early stuff by Magma – they are much easier to listen to than VDGG – but! They are French! Bosh! (Just joking… I am 1st gen French)
    I find the recent Magma to be somewhat “Brasil centric”, sort of like Passport’s Igaucu. “Heavy Weight” (I may enjoy their earlier stuff a bit more!!):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING: OFF TOPIC!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYVYe1W661c

Recall that Klaus was German. Prob’ly one of the best sax guys out there in the Jazz-o’ sphere. Germans can kick some way-out-there jazz too! Keep kickin’ it Magma!

I think that one will find this a lot of fun: Tarantula:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIA7m0vhWbU

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Did you guys ever hear a band called Morglbl? French dudes. Saw them in a busted down recording studio in Baltimore. Pianist played “a forte” (fingers like a hawk’s talon). Asked him about that after the show. He said I didn’t know what I was talking about – well, there you go! Now I don’t espy the pianist! WTFO???? (Did I confuse the bands??? But? I have their disc in my hands!) There are some other links… (there is a 3 video clip limit enforced…) At the 35:00 minute mark, the bassist kicks it into high gear; just sayin’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xaJqDsQiA

(Toons Tunes From the Past) ”Vous n'êtes pas mal simplement parce que vous êtes français!’
    Je suis d’accord ! Bien sûr !

(Apologies if I ruined your dinner...)