Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yer favorite Track on Wind and Wuthering

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I actually like All In A Mouse's Night, because it continues the tradition of Get 'Em Out By Friday and Battle Of Epping Forest.
    And Robbery Assault & Battery (and Harrold The Barrel)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

'One For The Vine', that big instrumental finish is one of the best things Genesis ever recorded IMHO. BOTR is a very close second. Both tracks are Genesis at their very best IMHO.

'Your Own Special Way' is a decent song but is too long IMHO, I've always disliked that plodding electric piano solo which has nothing really to do with the rest of the track. I prefer 'Inside And Out', a real buried treasure in their catalogue.

As for 'All In A Mouse's Night', a great track musically- especially Steve Hackett's guitar solo at the end- but lyrically it's too twee IMHO. See also 'The Lady Lies'. And 'Wot Gorilla' is not developed enough for me, comes off as 'Los Endos part 2'- works well enough on the album but probably not outside of that context.

It's my favourite Genesis album, even without the wonderful "Inside and out" (which I agree should've been on it).
    For me, it's a dead heat between 'One for the vine', 'Blood on the rooftops' and the closing trilogy (but I don't enjoy 'Afterglow' anywhere near as much if I haven't heard 'Unquiet slumbers ... In that quiet earth' as part of it).
    If I had to choose one, then 'One for the vine'.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Good one.
    I like Eleventh Earl of Mar

mark
    BINGO! This is the best song this line-up ever did for me. Love this tune and when I saw Genesis on the ATTW3 Tour in 1978,they opened with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'One For The Vine', that big instrumental finish is one of the best things Genesis ever recorded IMHO. BOTR is a very close second. Both tracks are Genesis at their very best IMHO.

'Your Own Special Way' is a decent song but is too long IMHO, I've always disliked that plodding electric piano solo which has nothing really to do with the rest of the track. I prefer 'Inside And Out', a real buried treasure in their catalogue.

As for 'All In A Mouse's Night', a great track musically- especially Steve Hackett's guitar solo at the end- but lyrically it's too twee IMHO. See also 'The Lady Lies'. And 'Wot Gorilla' is not developed enough for me, comes off as 'Los Endos part 2'- works well enough on the album but probably not outside of that context.
    The ending of OftV IS really great; Genesis doing that dramatic thing that I always loved about them!

I agree about the electric piano interlude in YOSW; it drags the tune down. The chorus is very pop-like, but in a good way. My favorite thing about that tune are the verses; they really capture that mood of being adrift at sea, at least that's what I get from it.

Wot Gorilla is actually a recapitulation of the big sounding part of OftV's instrumental section in the middle; same melody, but without the moving chord progression. It works for me well enough on it's own, but I think it's intended as a reoccuring theme... and perhaps the whole album is supposed to be a suite of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    The ending of OftV IS really great; Genesis doing that dramatic thing that I always loved about them!

I agree about the electric piano interlude in YOSW; it drags the tune down. The chorus is very pop-like, but in a good way. My favorite thing about that tune are the verses; they really capture that mood of being adrift at sea, at least that's what I get from it.

Wot Gorilla is actually a recapitulation of the big sounding part of OftV's instrumental section in the middle; same melody, but without the moving chord progression. It works for me well enough on it's own, but I think it's intended as a reoccuring theme... and perhaps the whole album is supposed to be a suite of sorts.
    Agree to all of the above!

Wot Gorilla is actually a recapitulation of the big sounding part of OftV's instrumental section in the middle; same melody, but without the moving chord progression.
    You know, in all these years and countless listens, I've never noticed that! Amazing that I could still learn something about my favourite band like that! Only at PE. Love this place!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You know, in all these years and countless listens, I've never noticed that! Amazing that I could still learn something about my favourite band like that! Only at PE. Love this place!
    Don't feel bad; I didn't notice it until years later myself!

Don't feel bad; I didn't notice it until years later myself!
    Oddly, i discovered the theme while in another... Erm a... state of mind and had forgotten about it until it was mentioned here when i first joined PE and it was mentioned in a post.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

One
    Blood
    11th
    Mouse's Night
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

i know not very popular but i always liked it..

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    Oddly, i discovered the theme while in another... Erm a... state of mind and had forgotten about it until it was mentioned here when i first joined PE and it was mentioned in a post.
    I'm in that particular state of mind often and I still never noticed! I'm still kinda blown away by this, and I'm so pleased it was mentioned. Now it seems so obvious but you never know what's going to pass you by.

As for "Mouse's Night", I absolutely love that track. It's not the BEST thing on Wind And Wuthering but it's got a terrific Banksian verse/chorus with a stellar Hackett outtro. I especially like the parts sung by "the mouse".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

For me it has to be the eleventh earl of mar...great opener...don't get me wrong the whole album is great but you'll have listen to the vinyl version..sigh

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Yeesh, it was a joke, guys.
    Yeah, right. I believe ya.

Which is the best boot from this tour ? I have Live in Zurich which is soundboard but it sounds like Collins was having an 'off night' vocally !!!
    Last edited by Rufus; 04-17-2013 at 01:11 PM.

I love first 7 songs on Wind and Wuthering, rather indifferent to two instrumentals in the end, and Afterglow leaves me cold.

Blood On The Rooftops!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Blood On The Rooftops

So many good songs on W&W.. One for the Vine or Afterglow...

Yea, 11 months later, still BotR.

One of my favorite Genesis albums. Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...In that Quiet Earth is my favorite track, with Blood on the Rooftops a close second. Guess I like the Hackett stuff, buy really aside from YOSW, I really love everything on this album.

Bill

Love this album. Eleventh Earl of Mar closely followed by Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers....In That Quiet Earth/Afterglow

I love the cover artwork to this album. I don't know what it is but whenever I see the cover it hits something in the core of my being.

Blood on the Rooftops, without a doubt.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I've never heard the album. I'll listen to it and get back to you
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    SAY WHAT?????
    For some reason W&W is an album that I have a hard time remembering, and I don't pull it out that often. I DO like it when I listen to it, but overall, for whatever reason, I don't gravitate to it the way I do ATOTT. In a way this is good, because when I do play it the album holds a lot of surprises. I'll need to give it another listen to choose a favorite track.

Some of you guys amaze me with your preferences! Blood On The Rooftops is one of my least favorite (and certainly least 'progressive') songs on W&W. A nice low-key ballad type song with some nice acoustic guitar playing, with banal, sentimental lyrics (though coming from a heartfelt place of course). Did they ever even do this one live? I'll take Eleventh Earl, One For The Vine, Mouse's Night over that one any day: they *rock* and have some interesting, (more) complex odd-meter instrumental sections.

(But maybe all these picks for Blood On The Rooftops represent why this thread is in the OT Forum! )
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')