Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yeah, I am a different one with this scenario. The thought of any cruise has never appealed to me. That pretty much ends the discussion going forward. Add the word "festival" and that seals the deal for me. Festivals are just not my thing. As a concertgoer, I've never been into all-day/weekend events. Those events usually don't have enough interesting features to keep me entertained for the duration.

One of my all-time favorite bands have performed on their own cruise (Kruise) for the past 11 years. Not once has it appealed to me to be stuck on a boat with those fans. I have a nice subset of friends in every genre of music that I can hang out with at shows, but I've never been one to attend concerts with the intent of hanging out to socialize.

I enjoy these threads for the news and marketing points.
    Hey, to each their own. The only thing I'll ever tell someone is not wanting to go on a cruise shouldn't be a major factor. I still don't have any desire to go on a different cruise.

We saw over thirty shows (all or most of) over the trip - didn't need anything more than that for us. But, I traveled with friends who I go places with anyway, so while I've made friends with people on these over the years, it isn't my main goal. Just sort of happens when you keep running into people at different shows.

But, it is definitely not for everyone. I'm not sure we'll be doing the next one, but I would if my cabinmates wanted to again.

If you have 3 hours to spare....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure who filmed this, but the show was great:

PoS is one of the bands I had to completely miss on CTTE because there were other bands I wanted to see more urgently. I kind of regret it, but there are some tough choices to make there.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    PoS is one of the bands I had to completely miss on CTTE because there were other bands I wanted to see more urgently. I kind of regret it, but there are some tough choices to make there.
    I saw the last half of their pool set, and the first half of their Studio B set. Yes, unfortunately they clashed up against some heavy hitters. I remember the Studio B set was up against Riverside which is why I only caught part of it.

They didn't say that the diabetes was a negative factor, however, they DID say the fact that I was already vaccinated helped save my life.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

These guys were the surprise of the whole cruise for me. They rocked from beginning to end:

I did not catch Dave's new band due to conflicts. I've found IOEarth to be a bit hit or miss - basically based on setlists. When they have a pretty mellow setlist I haven't found them to hold my interest as much, but when they've had more up-tempo ones they've been a lot of fun - with the best show I've seen them give starting at something like 2:00 am in 2015 when there had been some sound issues on a stage and it took about two hours to get them ready to roll. The only time I've seen that kind of delay for one band, but it was worth the wait.

Glad to hear Dave put on a good show. I know IO has a number of people who book the cruise with their shows in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I did not catch Dave's new band due to conflicts. I've found IOEarth to be a bit hit or miss - basically based on setlists. When they have a pretty mellow setlist I haven't found them to hold my interest as much, but when they've had more up-tempo ones they've been a lot of fun - with the best show I've seen them give starting at something like 2:00 am in 2015 when there had been some sound issues on a stage and it took about two hours to get them ready to roll. The only time I've seen that kind of delay for one band, but it was worth the wait.

Glad to hear Dave put on a good show. I know IO has a number of people who book the cruise with their shows in mind.
    I found his show to be a completely different experience from IO / Earth. I saw them once at ROSfest and had a similar reaction as you. It was ok, but did not blow me away and I was not really tempted to explore their music further. To be honest, on the boat, I did not even know who Dave was and had no plans to go see him. My friend Todd kept talking him up, so I caught the majority of his show and was blown away. It was much heavier than IO / Earth. More like Joe Satriani shredding but song oriented (with no vocals). Kind of hard to describe. Seeing William Kopecky up there on bass was a nice surprise too as I had no clue he was in the band. Anyway........it was the surprise performance of the trip for me.

Best review of CTTE yet with pictures: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/fe...w0PrgiC7--Nqwo

If you have 3 hours to spare....
    Question - Does Martin Lancelot Barre have permission to play Ian's tunes (or is there some copyright clause or something)? I am talking about all of the tunes written and credited to Ian.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Best review of CTTE yet with pictures: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/fe...w0PrgiC7--Nqwo
    I rather fancy your review, SteveSly!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Question - Does Martin Lancelot Barre have permission to play Ian's tunes (or is there some copyright clause or something)? I am talking about all of the tunes written and credited to Ian.
    I don't think you need permission to play anything live.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The Musical Box has been playing Genesis tunes for 20 plus years. Also, Supertramp plays songs written by Roger Hodgson.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I don't think he needs permission, but he's said he has Ian's blessing either way.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I rather fancy your review, SteveSly!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did McStine & Minneman do any covers?
    No, all original material from their two albums, except for the jam between Mohini & Marco.

During Dave Kerzner's set, NDV (drumming) sang a Kevin Gilbert song from Shaming of the True.

Not sure who filmed this, but the show was great:

This was my favorite show of the whole Cruise. Which surprised me because I'm only a moderate PoS fan. But it was impossible to leave, even with Riverside playing the second-best show of the Cruise in the Main Theater during some of it. (I eventually left PoS to watch Riverside but kind of regret it) Simply stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That is correct.

Even if Gail Zappa and her rather unethical lawyer LIKED to pretend otherwise.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    This was my favorite show of the whole Cruise. Which surprised me because I'm only a moderate PoS fan. But it was impossible to leave, even with Riverside playing the second-best show of the Cruise in the Main Theater during some of it. (I eventually left PoS to watch Riverside but kind of regret it) Simply stunning.
    I did the same thing. I had caught the end of POS set on the pool stage earlier in the cruise, so just saw the first half of this one before going for Riverside. It was unfortunate that the two bands were scheduled against each other.

This exactly, Scott. The pool stage concert was fine, but I was blown away by the studio concert. I couldn't leave either even though I missed the first part of Riverside.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    This exactly, Scott. The pool stage concert was fine, but I was blown away by the studio concert. I couldn't leave either even though I missed the first part of Riverside.
    Were you the one on our text chain that said, "There's no way in hell I'm leaving this show." It was funny because I was feeling totally the same way. They had us under a spell for that set.

Both YES & Rick are doing this cruise!

https://rockandromancecruise.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Both YES & Rick are doing this cruise!

https://rockandromancecruise.com/
    I see Rick but...no Yes (oxymoron?).

PS: The stateroom prices are nuts even for a 7 day cruise.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 05-19-2022 at 06:18 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No, all original material from their two albums, except for the jam between Mohini & Marco.

During Dave Kerzner's set, NDV (drumming) sang a Kevin Gilbert song from Shaming of the True.
    Did Marco do one of his insane drum solos, like he's done with Kerzner?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I see Rick but...no Yes (oxymoron?).

PS: The stateroom prices are nuts even for a 7 day cruise.
    Ah, your right! It says Rick Wakeman of YES, the 'of' being in very small text! I didnt look close enough