Here is a quick review of Greta Van Fleet with opening acts Mirador and Geese last night at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids Michigan last night.

I certainly can’t say that I didn’t get my money’s worth last night with the 3 bands performing 4.5 hours of music to what appeared to be a sold-out arena.

Mirador was up first. This is Greta Van Fleet guitarist Jake Kiska’s side project and I was really impressed. The band performed a little less than 45 minutes of old school heavy guitar rock. I had never heard a note of their music before but really enjoyed it. Along with guitar, Jake shares vocal duties with Chris Turpin from the band Ida Mae. I will definitely be seeking out some of this band’s music.

Next up was Geese from New York. I can’t decide if Liked them or not. I definitely liked some of what they did, but not everything clicked with me. They are obviously talented musicians, and I think they have potential. The vocalist was hit and miss with me. It may be interesting to see where this band goes from here. They are really young.

The final act of the night was Greta Van Fleet who burst on to the stage with a curtain drop and blinding pyro. In some ways going to a Greta show is like stepping back in time. When I first started going to big arena shows back in the late 70’s my expectations were big guitar solos, 10-minute drum solos, a great light show, pyrotechnics, the smell of herb in the air and a bombastic production. Greta’s current tour delivers all of those things and more. This is old school 70’s style bombastic rock that attracts an audience from teenagers to senior citizens and everything in between. Josh Kiszka’s voice can be like fingernails on a chalkboard for some, but it is what it is and he used all he had last night. The band performed a 2-hour 45-minute set that featured their most recent album with a few older favorites sprinkled in here and there. About halfway through the show the band departed to a second stage at the back of the arena for an acoustic set that brought the house down and was right in front of where we were seated. Josh, with his brother on piano, started it out with a killer version of “Unchained Melody” that was outstanding. The last third of the show was back on the main stage with one of the highlights being an extended version of “The Archer” that built to a grandiloquent climax to close the main set. There were plenty of solos throughout the show for each of the band to show off their instrumental chops and the guys are all very accomplished. Every time I see this band they get better and they are still only in their late 20’s. Here is a video clip from their acoustic B stage and the set list.

GRETA VAN FLEET:

THE FALLING SKY
THE INDIGO STREAK
CARAVEL
MEETING THE MASTER
HEAT ABOVE
HIGHWAY TUNE
RUNWAY BLUES

ACOUSTIC SET ON B STAGE AT BACK OF ARENA:

UNCHAINED MELODY
WAITED ALL YOUR LIFE
BLACK SMOKE RISING

BACK TO MAIN STAGE:

FATE OF THE FAITHFUL
SACRED THE THREAD
THE ARCHER

ENCORE:

RHAPSODY IN BLUE (SAM KIZSKA PIANO SOLO)
LIGHT MY LOVE
FAREWELL FOR NOW