Thread: new October Project album

new October Project album

Just wanted to post about this somewhere - October Project have released a new album called The Ghost of Childhood, their first 'full-band' album in almost 30 years.
    https://octoberproject.bandcamp.com/...of-childhood-2

They released some acapella and chorale stuff in the past few years as well but this is a lot more comparable to their 90s album output.

The Ghost of Childhood, absolutely gorgeous songs by Emil Adler, Marina on lead voice, mesmerizing! I love the first cd with Mary Fahl, and the new one is a current contender for the throne!

Ember
    Thanks so much for this post!

The new album is absolutely beautiful, and often quite challenging at the same time. It manages to evoke the original group, while also incorporating much of the choral influence of recent years along with a use of brass I can only characterize as an American version of what Big Big Train does (while sounding nothing like them). Some of it might feel maybe a bit too "pretty" for a few listeners, and a bit too spiritual for others, but as a whole it stands very well on its own feet, with or without reference to the old band; it has plenty of prog cred in its musical sophistication and well-hidden complexity, and for me the whole hour was mesmerizing and very rewarding. An immediate repeat listen.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Great fan of the first 2 albums. This new one is way to "sweet" and Mary is missing as she was the contrast to the to lovely parts.

And the solo stuff of M. Fahl is more interesting than this.

Last edited by TheH; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:44 PM.

I found Mary Fahl's first solo album to be great but haven't really liked any of the other albums she's put out solo unfortunately.
    This new October Project scratches my itch for close harmony and melodrama quite well at least haha! I do love Mary's voice but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Yes, I love ‘sweet’, gimme more! Mary Fahl? First solo album great, the subsequent not so much, although her ‘dark side of the moon’ is probably better than Roger Ramjet Rivers redux.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    I found Mary Fahl's first solo album to be great but haven't really liked any of the other albums she's put out solo unfortunately.
    This new October Project scratches my itch for close harmony and melodrama quite well at least haha! I do love Mary's voice but it's not a dealbreaker for me.
    Check out her album of cover songs, "Can't Get It Out Of My Head." She understands that doing something unique with a cover song is much better than simply trying to cover it faithfully. https://www.discogs.com/release/2407...Out-Of-My-Head

Wow - something new from October Project? There's a name I never expected to see again. It's a shame Mary Fahl isn't with them, since IMO she was the secret sauce of that first album. The follow up without her was good, but I definitely felt like a bit of the magic was missing.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.