Thread: RIP John Hawken - Strawbs Keyboardist

RIP John Hawken - Strawbs Keyboardist

From Dave Cousins FB page:

JOHN HAWKEN PASSES

It is with deep sadness that I must tell you that John Hawken passed away peacefully with his family at his side at 2pm US Eastern Standard Time today.

John Hawken joined Strawbs in late 1973. His contribution to the Strawbs legacy was immense and with John on board Strawbs played consistently to the band’s biggest audiences. The breakthrough for Strawbs in the US and Canada was the 1974 album ‘Hero and Heroine’. The following 1975 album ‘Ghosts’ charted even higher in the Billboard charts. John’s keyboard work contributed greatly to our success.

John Hawken was renowned for his sensitive touch on the piano, most notably on ‘The Winter Long’ from ‘Autumn’. John became highly adept on Mellotron and Moog synthesizer, defining the backbone of the Strawbs sound.

John, I will miss you so much. Not only for your playing, but also for your sense of humour, which brought tears to my eyes every time we met up.

Gone, but never to be forgotten. Much love.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Very sad. A major contributor to some great music, he will be missed.

Wonderful player with the Strawbs and a number of other bands including the original Renaissance, Nashville Teens, and Vinegar Joe.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    From Dave Cousins FB page:

JOHN HAWKEN PASSES

It is with deep sadness that I must tell you that John Hawken passed away peacefully with his family at his side at 2pm US Eastern Standard Time today.

John Hawken joined Strawbs in late 1973. His contribution to the Strawbs legacy was immense and with John on board Strawbs played consistently to the band’s biggest audiences. The breakthrough for Strawbs in the US and Canada was the 1974 album ‘Hero and Heroine’. The following 1975 album ‘Ghosts’ charted even higher in the Billboard charts. John’s keyboard work contributed greatly to our success.

John Hawken was renowned for his sensitive touch on the piano, most notably on ‘The Winter Long’ from ‘Autumn’. John became highly adept on Mellotron and Moog synthesizer, defining the backbone of the Strawbs sound.

John, I will miss you so much. Not only for your playing, but also for your sense of humour, which brought tears to my eyes every time we met up.

Gone, but never to be forgotten. Much love.
    How sad! Hawken was totally right for The Strawbs; his contributions brought the band up to a new level. He was my kind of pianist/keyboardist.

And what a sweet tribute from Cousins.

Strawbs just moved into tonight's playlist. One of my favorite groups, especially that era. RIP.

RIP Great player. Met him a few times - a humble, gracious & lovely person.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

A wonderful man and musician. RIP.

He was also in Illusion, whose best song is "Isadora," which came out in 1977.

Fantastic player, love is work on side two of GHOSTS "Remembering You & I" is an absolute favorite of mine. Also the early Renaissance album, which innocently, I ordered on vinyl just the other day. Was thrilled to see him back in Strawbs a while back when they did that Electric Tour reunion.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:16 PM.

I feel very fortunate that I got to see Hawken perform with the Strawbs at Johnny D's in Boston in 2004. A lifetime top 20 show! RIP.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, John.
    Frog in boiling water

He was also part of the early version of Renaissance and in Illusion as well. Sad news. RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw the Strawbs at FMPM about 14 years ago. The band was sublime. RIP

*Haven't listened to their music in a long time. Time to rectify.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    He was also in Illusion, whose best song is "Isadora," which came out in 1977.
    The mix of Jim's and Jane's vocals on that song is just magical. But it's John's piano part that just makes it all come together. It's as good as anything made by Renaissance Mk. 2. I'd add "Face of Yesterday" to the A+ Illusion song list, but since it's a remake of an older Renaissance song (easily the best song off of the Illusion album) it doesn't really count.

R.I.P. John, you and your playing will be much missed.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

"Isadora," "Madonna Blue," and "Face of Yesterday" are the three best Illusion songs. The Illusion version of "Face of Yesterday" is far superior to the Renaissance version, where you can barely hear the vocal.

Sad thing.

His style of playing fit da Strawbs somewhat better than both Wakeman's and Weaver's, as I heard it. Fatter or perhaps even sturdier in terms of choice as to where and how to apply which keyboards to what extent and function; that entire opening section of "Autumn" effectively immortalized the guy's reputation among certain crowds and folks outside of the family turf/farm/home. Isaac Hayes mentioned it, as did did dudes like the Grandmasters Flash & Melle Mel.

The whole of Ghosts was his greatest achievement with the band, however (IMHO). The layers of fine nurture in ostinati, melody, harmonics such on - and in that defining closing section in particular; it takes some mofo talent to merely come to such ideas so prevalent here.

Still, I also agree that his contributions to the Mist album with Illusion arguably tops it all. Tho' obviously quite different from Strawbs and the concept of "orchestrated don of song", he really gets to invest the keys into heart position of what 'does' a trick.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Impeccable, the film crew did an amazing job

it's so long ago.

Renaissance - Kings and Queens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrSCU_3hK34
    Last edited by begnagrad; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:07 AM.

After Rick Wakeman left to join Yes, it opened the door for John Hawken who did a stellar job in Hero & Heroine, Ghosts and much more. Like another keyboard contemporary who is also gone Francis Monkman (Curved Air), his contributions were enormous, RIP.

His Mellotron washes live back in '73 literally shook the room live, the few times I saw them then (probably in the 30's now easy) they were incredible, met him on a cruise or two, a very pleasant person to talk to.

RIP, John.

As big of a Renaissance fan as I am, I admit that the band ILLUSION has somehow escaped me. Just now purchased Out of The Mist on original vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    As big of a Renaissance fan as I am, I admit that the band ILLUSION has somehow escaped me. Just now purchased Out of The Mist on original vinyl.
    Never knew of them either but I'm on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    Implacable, the film crew did an amazing job

it's so long ago.

Renaissance - Kings and Queens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrSCU_3hK34
    I think John basically started Renaissance on the road to the "classical rock" thing and gets too little credit for it. It seems the whole idea for Renaissance got started when Keith and Jim were bowled over by the first Fairport Convention record and decided they wanted to do something similar. Then John started ad-libbing some Beethoven in the middle of "Island," and took the band someplace else entirely.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

strawbs_tour_2004.jpg

R.I.P. John turned 84 on May 9th