Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Deluxe Edition of Fragile

... But the environment and equipment does matter.
    That's what she said ...
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I've just bought a new Marantz cd player which can handle hi res files and my Sony Blu Ray via my Cambridge Audio DAC can also do the job. I have most of Steven Wilson's albums on Blu Ray and most of the SW Yes remixes on Blu Ray too, the sound can often be amazing and better than cd to my ears, other times not so much. I think a lot depends on the original mix and production as you say. I'm thinking of buying some hi res downloads from Qobuz but many people say its a waste of time and money, I guess I'll have to try one out. The obvious choice for me would be my favourite album of all time Going For The One which is never going to be remixed unless the original tapes are found.
    Yes, definitely listen to a Qobuz download for yourself and ignore the naysayers. It's all about your ears and what makes you happy. If you decide to go on a Qobuz spending spree, you'll probably want to get a streaming subscription because the cost of downloads drops by 33% to 50% depending on the album.

^^^^

It would be good if Yes released as a Blu Ray box set or individually the original mixes of the 70's albums as hi res audio only. I'd be in like a shot but I guess there isn't enough of a market for it. They could include the best of the live bootlegs relating to each album too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ^^^^

It would be good if Yes released as a Blu Ray box set or individually the original mixes of the 70's albums as hi res audio only. I'd be in like a shot but I guess there isn't enough of a market for it. They could include the best of the live bootlegs relating to each album too.
    To be pedantic, it's not up to Yes to release such a thing. It's up to Warner (probably as Rhino) to do this. They control all the rights.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I missed the earlier 5.1 Wilson's reissues of 71-74 albums, so going to catch up with these super-deluxe ones. Do you think they will continue with CTTE and so on in the coming years?

And do I understand correctly that GFTO master tapes are lost for good and we'll never hear multi-channel "Awaken"?

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    I missed the earlier 5.1 Wilson's reissues of 71-74 albums, so going to catch up with these super-deluxe ones. Do you think they will continue with CTTE and so on in the coming years?

And do I understand correctly that GFTO master tapes are lost for good and we'll never hear multi-channel "Awaken"?
    Yes, I expect them to continue. Sales will probably dictate what they continue through to. You'd think they'd get at least as far as Relayer. But, indeed, Steven Wilson has said master tapes for Gft1 are missing.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Yes, I expect them to continue. Sales will probably dictate what they continue through to. You'd think they'd get at least as far as Relayer. But, indeed, Steven Wilson has said master tapes for Gft1 are missing.
    I have heard about the Going for the One situation for a number of years but I just relized I have an Atlantic remasterd and expanded release that is not that old... If the masters are or have been missing how did this release get made?

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I have heard about the Going for the One situation for a number of years but I just relized I have an Atlantic remasterd and expanded release that is not that old... If the masters are or have been missing how did this release get made?
    Remastering is not the same as remixing. Remastering is done with a mixed stereo master tape. Remixing requires the original multitrack tapes*, which in this case are lost.

*Or at least it did before AI. Nowadays even amateurs can get hold of apps that can separate out the individual tracks from a commercial recording.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Its the multi-track tapes that are lost - not the stereo mixed down master.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    *Or at least it did before AI. Nowadays even amateurs can get hold of apps that can separate out the individual tracks from a commercial recording.
    So there's hope for Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Its the multi-track tapes that are lost - not the stereo mixed down master.
    Makes sense. Thanks Mr Triscuits and Lasercd...

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy 5.1 releases. Going for the One would have been amazing. Awaken would have been amazing. I love Close to the Edge and Relayer editions.

AI-extracted stems tend to sound weird though, as they often have unexpected/unwanted sonic leftovers or artifacts. And thus, you need a skilled audio engineer to bring out the most of this kind of stuff when remixing. A lot of super amateur mixers or noobs think that if they have the stems they can make a fucking masterpiece but it doesn't work that way. You ain't gonna believe how many "remasters" made using extracted stems I've stumbled across on YouTube that sounded like shit. xD The thing is, if you extract those stems, they're not dry. They have all the effects (EQs, compressors, choruses, echoes et al et al) in them. And mixing audio that's hard printed with processing over it is a huge pain in the ass.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

The digital download version is now listed on Qobuz for pre-order. It looks like you can get all tracks in 24/96 sound quality. HDtracks doesn't do pre-orders but will probably carry the album when it's available.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/fr.../qm9xfn4z8u5tb

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    AI-extracted stems tend to sound weird though, as they often have unexpected/unwanted sonic leftovers or artifacts. And thus, you need a skilled audio engineer to bring out the most of this kind of stuff when remixing. A lot of super amateur mixers or noobs think that if they have the stems they can make a fucking masterpiece but it doesn't work that way. You ain't gonna believe how many "remasters" made using extracted stems I've stumbled across on YouTube that sounded like shit. xD The thing is, if you extract those stems, they're not dry. They have all the effects (EQs, compressors, choruses, echoes et al et al) in them. And mixing audio that's hard printed with processing over it is a huge pain in the ass.
    The AI extractors I've seen also aren't sophisticated enough to distinguish between multiple guitars or between lead and backing vocals. They also have a hard time distinguishing guitars and electric keyboards, from the experimenting I've done. It's not a magic remixing wand, as you say.

The best use case for what we like is probably relatively spare arrangements where the levels between basic instrumental groups are way off. Live soundboard recordings could probably benefit from this, as the keyboards are often over-prominent, the vocals too dry, and the drums too far in the background. You could redo basic levels and add some ambience to the vocals (and keys, if needed).

That said, I messed around with a couple Grateful Dead board recordings (which were originally dedicated recording mixes and not just dumps of the PA feed), and I couldn't get usable results out of the extractor.