Thread: Andy Edwards' Ten Proggiest Albums of the 1970's

Andy Edwards' Ten Proggiest Albums of the 1970's

What are yours?

If you don't want to watch a video, he says...

10. In Praise of learning by Henry Cow
    9. A Farewell to Kings by Rush
    8. Acquiring the Taste by Gentle Giant
    7. Trilogy by ELP
    6. Passion Play by Jethro Tull
    5. L'isola di Niente by PFM
    4. Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson
    3. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis
    2. Flying Teapot trilogy by Gong
    1. Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^^^^^^

That’s a pretty good and even a little bit diverse of a list (Cow! PROPER LANGUAGE PFM!, best Rush! etc)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Holy shit! I've just realized this is the same Andy Edwards who drummed in IQ!
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Holy shit! I've just realized this is the same Andy Edwards who drummed in IQ!
    The alarm went off.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

7. Trilogy by ELP
    Thanks for that. I have enjoyed some of Andy’s videos, but he does seem to suffer quite badly from “prog disease” - in that everything is at least twice as long as it really needed to be. Spending the best part of an hour for a top ten video is, well, very proggy of him.

Andy also has, by his own admission, a negative attitude toward Magma, which colors these lists. I mean, really, MDK belongs on any list of top LPs of the 70s for prog music.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Magma is like The Grateful Dead, or Black Licorice.

Pete Pardo is another guy who can't stand Magma. I guess I can understand, but man......Magma is Da Hunden! Or Da Schniznit. Seeing them live was a high point for me.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Saw them 3x and was better each time. But yeah, Pete is the same. And of course, Andy is just offering his opinion, which I get.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Pete Pardo is another guy who can't stand Magma.
    The Prog Corner guy also.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Currently drumming for Tim Bowness and the Butterfly Mind. And what an amazing job they are doing of resurrecting no-man classics as well as creating some new music.

His work on Frost* Milliontown is fucking spectacular!!! What a great drummer.

7. Trilogy by ELP
    Nice list! But no way is A Farewell To Kings better than its successor Hemispheres. Same goes for L'isola di Niente being better than Per Un Amico. Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Nice list! But no way is A Farewell To Kings better than its successor Hemispheres. Same goes for L'isola di Niente being better than Per Un Amico. Not a chance.
    Very nice list indeed, and let's keep in mind: Andy's list covers what his deems are the "Ten Proggiest Albums of the 1970's", not the "Ten best prog Albums of the 1970's"

He makes it clear along the video that he might have picked a different album from these same bands, had his list been about "... best prog albums".

Not that anyone should really care but ... still, this forum has a reputation to hold!

Hervé

Quote Originally Posted by progtoad View Post
    Very nice list indeed, and let's keep in mind: Andy's list covers what his deems are the "Ten Proggiest Albums of the 1970's", not the "Ten best prog Albums of the 1970's"

He makes it clear along the video that he might have picked a different album from these same bands, had his list been about "... best prog albums".

Not that anyone should really care but ... still, this forum has a reputation to hold!
    It's his list, he can talk about whatever he wants to. I can't myself see how A Farewell to Kings, an album I love, is one of the ten proggiest albums of the 1970s. I wouldn't even put it in the top 100.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The Prog Corner guy also.
    I enjoy the videos from all 3 of these guys (Prog Corner, Pardo and Andy) but, yeah, all 3 admit they don't like Magma. Doesn't ruin my enjoyment because I get it, even if Magma is one of my top-tier 1A bands, it takes some extra mileage to get there.

I remember one of Pardo's roundhouse discussions where I think the subject was the most overrated prog albums or albums we just don't get or something. I think Magma made it once, a Sleepytime Gorilla Musum album and Gong's You was on there twice. If I was on the panel I think I would have fallen out of my chair. But different opinions make it fun.

At least Pete likes Univers Zero I believe.

It's his list, he can talk about whatever he wants to. I can't myself see how A Farewell to Kings, an album I love, is one of the ten proggiest albums of the 1970s. I wouldn't even put it in the top 100.
    Not even top 500.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by progtoad View Post

Hervé
    nah, that's a good point, he's not really looking for quality but rather which albums went the furthest out there. hence why Tales is #1. I've often thought that The Lamb, while not my favorite by Genesis, was maybe the single 'proggiest' album out there. ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition is another one. again, not the best ones, but certainly the ones that dove headfirst into the idea of prog
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com