Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As I Listen To The Album Tu-Ner For Lovers (Live)...

I like what I like and don't like what I don't like. Music like these Crimsonesque improvs are interesting but my ear tends to hear what I consider the clichés. Meandering mid-tempo bass lines. Percussion doing something back there. Sudden swells of legato guitar with that Fripp sound followed by a soundscape wash. In all honesty, I listen to things like this and wait for all of the musical landmarks and I'm never disappointed. I'm not saying it's bad for other people or that others are hearing what I'm hearing. In fact, I don't care what they're hearing because it isn't me. It's like Post Rock. OK, other people love it. I can't tell one thing apart from another in songs that are nine minutes of strumming that gets louder. Like I said, it's what I hear.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I like what I like and don't like what I don't like. Music like these Crimsonesque improvs are interesting but my ear tends to hear what I consider the clichés. Meandering mid-tempo bass lines. Percussion doing something back there. Sudden swells of legato guitar with that Fripp sound followed by a soundscape wash. In all honesty, I listen to things like this and wait for all of the musical landmarks and I'm never disappointed. I'm not saying it's bad for other people or that others are hearing what I'm hearing. In fact, I don't care what they're hearing because it isn't me. It's like Post Rock. OK, other people love it. I can't tell one thing apart from another in songs that are nine minutes of strumming that gets louder. Like I said, it's what I hear.
    Not sure what you are trying to say here, but there's a time and place for most any music that touches our 'individual souls', and then some music imprints itself on the collective conscience, like Beatles music for instance. If you love crimsonesque improvs, I say Go for it! I can listen to someone strum for 9 minutes too, as long as it has that certain something.

I'm certain that from many of these Improvs, a standout moment of interest, or a good hook, is later nurtured and incorporated into an actual song. Especially with Crimson stuff. Improv is a great path to discovery.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:54 PM.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Not sure what you are trying to say here, but there's a time and place for most any music that touches our 'individual souls', and then some music imprints itself on the collective conscience, like Beatles music for instance. If you love crimsonesque improvs, I say Go for it! I can listen to someone strum for 9 minutes too, as long as it has that certain something.
    We all perceive things differently. For example, I can't watch a movie without my eyes paying attention to what some extra is doing in the background. Others don't watch things that way but I tend to.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

We all perceive things differently. For example, I can't watch a movie without my eyes paying attention to what some extra is doing in the background. Others don't watch things that way but I tend to.
    Thats an attribute... Noticing, paying attention, to be aware of one's surroundings and senses. I was more perceptive at a younger age when 'routine' wasn't the order of the day.
    Still alive and well...

Taking it back to music, since I listen through headphones almost exclusively these days, I observe more about what instrumentation in the background is doing than I did when I was a youth listening to my radio or stereo speakers.

(It also may have something to do with being the keyboardist in a Beatles tribute band seeking out the elusive keyboard parts in Fab Four (+) recordings.)

For one thing, there are lots of mistakes in bass lines that must have slipped through production and were either never noticed or deemed not significant enough to force another take.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

I don’t do headphones. One bad ear.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I don’t do headphones. One bad ear.
    I'm sorry about that, and your family and/or neighbors are perhaps also sorry, you being a prog fan (unless they share your esoteric tastes).
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Hard to disagree with anything in there. Stick Men releases tend to just blend in with each other. I can’t tell you what song is on what album unless it’s something obvious like the title track from Prog Noir. That doesn’t mean I don’t like each release. I figure a day will come when I listen to them obsessively and delineate all the details. Eh, can’t predict the future though.

I’m digging this new tu-NER release for a few reasons. The band work better live; they worked some stuff out in front of an audience. The studio album (of improvs mostly) feels a little flat to me. This bristles. Maybe that’s because I saw them live in a small room with like ten other people. It was surreal. Maybe it’s Gunn. I prefer his work as a touch guitarist to Levin’s. Just compare how both tackled “The ConstruKtion of Light.” Gunn’s version, especially from the ‘03 tour, is just better. I think Levin has spoken about how difficult a piece it is to play.

But, yeah, here comes that head-bopping mid tempo bass line and the soundscape wash and the Fripp-ular lines. It’s all there. At least it’s pretty cool.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Batchman…My house was built in 1949 and it’s pretty soundproof. Yes my left ear is shot. Dr said an eardrum replacement was the fix. I declined. I don’t even wear headphones when mixing stuff. I watch the settings and dials for stereo? Then I ask the wife or friends to listen for balance. My neighbors are all pretty cool. When we jam we have a big basement they can hear us, but not much. Sometimes When I’m listening I put my big stereo on mono lol
    Still alive and well...

The band posted viddy to social media of them rehearsing “Larks’ IV.” That tune hasn’t been played live since the Double Duo’s final tour.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The band posted viddy to social media of them rehearsing “Larks’ IV.” That tune hasn’t been played live since the Double Duo’s final tour.
    That would be very awesome

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    That would be very awesome

It was awesome. I listened to the live album so I went into the show thinking we were gonna get a lot more improv stuff than we did but it was mostly older songs from their shared repertoire (not all KC though). But larks IV was huge and amazing to see.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Tu-Ner/Tuner question...

Does anyone know what the sample used in the ZWAR title track is? (From the start of the piece and leading up to the Fripp poetry reading.)

And, is the Can of Tuner using an actual sample of Czukay/Liebezeit, etc., or just a faithful recreation, and if the former, what original recording was used?

I can’t say I’ve paid a lot of attention to any of the (many!) projects that seem to fit under the “one or more King Crimson alumni are part of this band that sounds like King Crimson” heading. When I want that kind of thing, I can listen to King Crimson and cut out the middle man.

That’s not a knock on Tu-Ner specifically, which I’ve never listened to and may be less generic for all I know. I am interested in hearing about projects where KC alumni do something that is interestingly different from KC, if anyone has suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And, is the Can of Tuner using an actual sample of Czukay/Liebezeit, etc., or just a faithful recreation, and if the former, what original recording was used?
    There are (at least) two samples, one from the beginning of "Soup" and one from "One More Night", both from Can's "Ege Bamyasi" album.
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Actually it was played in 2019 at various shows.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Hard to disagree with anything in there. Stick Men releases tend to just blend in with each other. I can’t tell you what song is on what album unless it’s something obvious like the title track from Prog Noir. That doesn’t mean I don’t like each release. I figure a day will come when I listen to them obsessively and delineate all the details. Eh, can’t predict the future though.

I’m digging this new tu-NER release for a few reasons. The band work better live; they worked some stuff out in front of an audience. The studio album (of improvs mostly) feels a little flat to me. This bristles. Maybe that’s because I saw them live in a small room with like ten other people. It was surreal. Maybe it’s Gunn. I prefer his work as a touch guitarist to Levin’s. Just compare how both tackled “The ConstruKtion of Light.” Gunn’s version, especially from the ‘03 tour, is just better. I think Levin has spoken about how difficult a piece it is to play.

But, yeah, here comes that head-bopping mid tempo bass line and the soundscape wash and the Fripp-ular lines. It’s all there. At least it’s pretty cool.
    I would agree. I enjoy the first Tu-Ner album, but this new one is pretty darn excellent and definitely a step up. For me, there is by no means enough of that 2000s improv Crim out there, so the more that want to do it the better, especially when two thirds of the group was doing it originally. I suppose it also helps that I fell in love with the 2000's lineup particular brand of improv several years ago.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I would agree. I enjoy the first Tu-Ner album, but this new one is pretty darn excellent and definitely a step up. For me, there is by no means enough of that 2000s improv Crim out there, so the more that want to do it the better, especially when two thirds of the group was doing it originally. I suppose it also helps that I fell in love with the 2000's lineup particular brand of improv several years ago.
    With that in mind, I figured I'd suggest checking out Stick Men's Panamerica, Unleashed and Open if that's what you like but haven't already heard those. I keep going back to those more often than the mostly through-composed albums.

Actually it was played in 2019 at various shows.
    Dammit. Why do I have to be wrong? I blame Gunn. He said it social media. Darn you, Trey Gunn! (Waving fist angrily.)

Were the 2019 performances Stick Men or Crimson?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    With that in mind, I figured I'd suggest checking out Stick Men's Panamerica, Unleashed and Open if that's what you like but haven't already heard those. I keep going back to those more often than the mostly through-composed albums.
    I have all those, and they are pretty excellent. Open in particular. But, this new Tu-Ner album hits the closest to the 2000s period to my ears.

Dammit. Why do I have to be wrong? I blame Gunn. He said it social media. Darn you, Trey Gunn! (Waving fist angrily.)

Were the 2019 performances Stick Men or Crimson?
    Crimson. I don't think they played it at that many shows.

But they did play it when I saw them, and as you can guess, it was excellent.

This is why we need a final live thing for the most current band to collect this song and the others that aren't represented on any releases.

The eons are closing
    LTiA IV was played 29 times on the 2018 Uncertain Times tour (per setlist fm)
    20 times on the 2019 tour; and not at all on the final tour.

Oh damn. That's way more than I realized.

The eons are closing
    Oh damn. That's way more than I realized.
    I didn't see 2018 or 2019 tours - so the "collection" of unreleased repertoire would be cool. Only saw 2014 and 2021

I caught the 7/8 man lineup each time it blew through frownland (with the possible exception of the first time). So four times in total (don't remember the exact years). I always thought it would be the last time I would see them and didn't want to miss just in case.