Thread: The Furious Bongos?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

The Furious Bongos?

Gonna try to see this Zappa tribute band tonight right here in Florence village (if my cluster headaches don't preclude...) at Bombyx.

Looks like they played in Holyoke last year but flew under my radar (same venue we saw the Zappa Band with Mr. Keneally et als.)

They sound great from the few clips I've watched. Anyone seen them?

" The Furious Bongos feature an an ever-rotating lineup of musicians, the common denominator being their excellence. Quite simply, you had to be a phenomenal musician to be able to pull off this music. The Furious Bongos are a Zappa tribute band and incredibly maintain this level of excellence, a nine-piece combo of remarkable ability.

This show will be a top-tier face-melter, replete with jaw-dropping musicianship, an imaginatively curated setlist, the proper blend of irreverent humor and serious-as-a-heart-attack exactitude that is the hallmark of the Zappa compositional oeuvre, and a delicious insistence on bringing the personalities of the players on stage to bear on the improvisational sections of the selected tunes.

Frank Zappa’s music isn’t for everyone. But if you are a fan of this most singular of composers, then you must go and see The Furious Bongos. They are proudly keeping the freak flag flying."

And on the West Coast, The Stinkfoot Orchestra are now on the road - a 12-to-14-piece Bay Area group with a fairly consistent lineup, a focus on FZ's more jazzy output, and on this tour, Ray White as the guest vocalist.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Fun show last night, venue is ten minutes from Chez Rick. No headache! Wonder if we'll ever see Project/Object again.

They are a ton of fun! Glad it was a good show.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Fun show last night, venue is ten minutes from Chez Rick. No headache! Wonder if we'll ever see Project/Object again.
    I found Project Object to be more fun than The Zappa Band, Zappa Plays Zappa, Ed Palermo or this one, though they're all really good.
    I only experienced PO and TZB live, though.