Thread: Shuggie Otis

Shuggie Otis

Everytime I listen to Shuggie Otis I an in awe of his talent and should put his small output more often on my playlist...'Freedom Flight ' The record and specially the title track are so ahead of their time (1971)and yes Zappa always the Talent scout had him quite early on his radar
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I love the Inspiration Information record.
    You are correct about Zappa, Shuggie played bass on Peaches En Regalia. I think he was 18 years old.

Guy can play. Inspiration Information is probably his best IMO. He also released a record in 2018 called Inter-Fusion which features Carmine Appice and Tony Franklin.

Years ago a friend of mine introduced me to S.O as an unknow musical genius.
    Highly intrigued I checked a few of his solo records but really wasn't impressed by what I heard. Never went back to it.
    Maybe I should try again... The "Freedom" track posted above is very promising and better than anything else I've heard from him before.
    No doubt he's a good instrumentist (playing in F.Z's band is a good reference), but a genius ? Did I missed something ?
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 05-10-2024 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I love the Inspiration Information record.
    You are correct about Zappa, Shuggie played bass on Peaches En Regalia. I think he was 18 years old.
    He was actually still 15 during the recording sessions for Hot Rats

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Highly intrigued I checked a few of his solo records but really wasn't impressed by what I heard. Never went back to it.
    Maybe I should try again... The "Freedom" track posted above is very promising and better than anything else I've heard from him before.
    No doubt he's a good instrumentist (playing in F.Z's band is a good reference), but a genius ? Did I missed something ?
    I wouldn't go as far as genius, but very talented indeed....what I like about him is his unusual approach to R&B or just music ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    I love his 1969 album with Al Kooper - Kooper Session - recorded when he was 15. But his later stuff doesn't grab me so much. I think it has a lot to do with style. Kooper Session was excellent blues and gospel while Otis then moved more into funk and soul.

We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

I don't know much about his life, but for sure his father Johnny Otis and having listened and sometimes played with some of the best R&B musicians helped to forge his style quiet early ...his first record, co-written with his father but still he really has this perfect equilibrium and not playing a zillion notes or to show off....he could have gone the flamboyant way Prince did , but he chose to keep a low Profile for the sake of his music...

This is not at all what I expected from what I thought I knew about Shuggie Otis (which I admit is not much). Real nice jazz-fusion, not strident but not too mellow either.

It's notable that he composed "Strawberry Letter 23", which was a hit for the Brothers Johnson; that song had a surprising middle section that sounded like it came straight off a Yes album.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

If I'm not mistaken, he was introduced by Carlos Santana and played a couple of numbers with the band in 1970 in Providence. I had no idea who he was then.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.