Thread: My Free Comic Book Day Haul!

Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quite a haul- I am not familiar with many of these, which is the point, I suppose.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Nice batch of goodies. Two have me curious:

1. the Marvel "Dabel Brothers Sampler" -- is this a series of adaptations of SFF books?
    2. Mad -- is it back? I thought it had been discontinued!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Nice batch of goodies. Two have me curious:

1. the Marvel "Dabel Brothers Sampler" -- is this a series of adaptations of SFF books?
    1 - Not sure!
    2 - Looks like it!
    I haven't started to read through stuff yet, so I cannot add anything definitive!

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    1 - Not sure!
    2 - Looks like it!
    I haven't started to read through stuff yet, so I cannot add anything definitive!
    Yeah I saw that Feist was on that cover! So I was wondering what it could be....

Edit:
    Some answers here?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabe...rs_Productions

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudShark22; 05-08-2024 at 05:28 PM.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I didn't go to the shop. Did you have to pay for your comics? I have a hard time keeping up with floppies (too expensive). The last thing I read was Monsters by Barry Windsor-Smith which I though was good from the library. I've been reading the newer Brit Conans tho, which I've enjoyed. I have a Leave It to Chance graphic novel. The Hellboy looks to be a reprint of the first issue. I generally enjoy listening to the Rockin' Robbie show off YT. There are tons of other YT shows like his, but not as good imo. Comicbookroundup.com is another good site.

Pay? No. It was free comic book day, so they were free.

Just thought I'd ask. Some shops (at least the one here) wants a buck or so. Granted if you dropped a lotta dough there he might give you a free one. I seen others do the same. I've said this before but I don't know why the comic companies don't let you read them online so everyone has a shot at reading them if they wanted to turn more people onto comics. It seems it's a miss opportunity .

I was never much into comic books but if they had something like this near where my brother lives he would end up leaving with half the comic books there. He was a real comic book nut when he was younger and even had a party when he reached owning 1,000 comic books. I have no idea how many he still has.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Just thought I'd ask. Some shops (at least the one here) wants a buck or so. Granted if you dropped a lotta dough there he might give you a free one. I seen others do the same. I've said this before but I don't know why the comic companies don't let you read them online so everyone has a shot at reading them if they wanted to turn more people onto comics. It seems it's a miss opportunity .

You can read comics online, but not for free. You can subscribe to Comixology, DC Universe Infinite and Marvel Unlimited separately and read everything they post for a flat monthly fee. I don't do that, and I never will, because I'm all about physical media. But it's an option.

This article breaks it all down: https://www.theverge.com/22303444/co...verse-infinite

I think Free Comic Book Day is a great idea & a way for folks to test the waters. When I was a kid, the free comics I read were at John the barber, or strays my brother had until I started buying my own at the tail-end of the 12 cent days.

Yeah, I used to read them when I was a kid at the barbers too. He had a bunch of them. They stopped doing that a long time ago, tho I still think it would be cool if they did. Anymore if I can find something I want at the library, I'll just wait and buy the graphic novel. Sometimes I might find something at Half Price Books. I have Amazon Prime as well, and they'll let you read some e-comics. Right now I'm reading Batman Under the Red Hood by Judd Winick & various artist.

One of the great joys of my life was getting to color books by folks like Sal Buscema, Jim Mooney, Don Heck, Steve Ditko & Dave Cockrum.

^^Wow, there are some names from the classic silver age period, maybe even golden age in the case of Steve Ditko. Buying, reading and collecting comics was one of the joys of my younger years. I still have the several thousand that I acquired back then.

I will still read stuff from time-to-time online. I mostly stopped collecting, because they started getting much more expensive. The cover price was 25 cents when I started and 40 cents, when I stopped. Which is nothing compared to now, but back then, with the decent allowance that I was lucky enough to get, I could buy every single Marvel and DC title every Monday when they came out. Those were indeed happy times.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I don’t think it ever completely went away, but it now consists primarily of reprints and is distributed mainly to comic book stores and not general newsstands.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx