Thread: RIP Mike Pinder of The Moody Blues

RIP Mike Pinder of The Moody Blues

A big favorite in these parts...Mike Pinder, a founding member and keyboard player for the progressive rock band, the Moody Blues, died today (April 24, 2024). The news of his death at age 82 was announced by a Facebook group devoted to his career. The post indicated that he died at his northern California home, surrounded by his family. “His final days were filled with music,” it said

82... Dang... He had a good run.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Yet another sad loss.

Oh, no! He was the sound of the band.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Damn. I usually thought his songs were among the most adventurous.

Never as good without him.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Sad news.
    Prayers to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Never as good without him.
    With the exception of Long Distance Voyager I would tend to agree. Anyway, sad news for this MB fan. RIP Mike.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

A genius with the mellotron, gave the Moodies their sound over their key first seven albums. RIP Mike.

Back in the 70s the Moody Blues were my favourite band. Justin was my favourite writer followed by Ray and John. Strangely, listening back to them these days it surprises me how much Mike's songs resonate with me. For inhouse songwriting power I dont think there was anyone to match them- apart from the Beatles of course who set the bar for everyone.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

I've said it many times that his use of the Mellotron on "Nights In White Satin" is perfection. It isn't a lead instrument but is there as accompaniment and to add color. RIP to one of the greats.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Oh, Man, that’s sad. Glad he played on one of John Lodge’s recent albums, and glad we have the classics to live on and on.

You can hear his influence in almost every band that used Mellotron.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I've said it many times that his use of the Mellotron on "Nights In White Satin" is perfection. It isn't a lead instrument but is there as accompaniment and to add color. RIP to one of the greats.
    How much of that was Mellotron, and how much was real orchestra?

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    How much of that was Mellotron, and how much was real orchestra?
    The fake orchestra sound of the Mellotron is unmistakable especially during the verses.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    RIP

Everybody in the band at this point is gone.
    Looks like Pinder was the original go-to guy when a tambourine was needed, duties later assumed by Thomas.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Rest in peace.
    Frog in boiling water

RIP. Never been a Moodies fan but I went on a MB binge on YT a couple years ago. Good band.

I've always wondered if the M.B would have became so big without the Mellotron, and conversely if the Mellotron would have been a commercial success without the M.B.
    Both are closely connected since M.Pinder worked for 18 months around 1964-67 at Streetly Electronics (original manufacturers of the Tron) for the Bradley brothers as a maintenance and Q.C/Test tech.
    He had a deep knowledge of the instrument and helped improving it before introducing it into the band.
    The rest is history...

R.I.P, Mr. "Tron"
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 04-26-2024 at 08:08 PM.

With Hayward their most important member, I think.

He often appeared to take on a bit darker approach to things than the rest of the group, and I often wondered if this might have been a reason for several of his vocal leads to appear as album closers during his tenure. "Evening" is one of the finest tracks on DoFP (their one integrally coherent LP, IMO), but grand tunes like "My Song" (concluding EGBDF) and -especially- the "Have You Heard" triplet closing of OtToaD remain some of the very best, introspective and most beautiful music they recorded. Even "Lost In a Lost World", despite the somewhat trite lyrics and now an opening title (on Sojourn), outshadows the contributions of the others.

And Oh my! could he ever work that 'tron to wonders!

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM