Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adaptation in the Contemporary Music Climate

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Can you provide a link to your YouTube page?

Right now we have 16 songs we play and improvise off. A lot of the more proggy stuff, or more heavy fusion stuff I kept off this video, because the reality
    is that most music "booking" folks might be slightly or really turned off by the more "outside the box" stuff we do... Like this video that we used to enter a music video contest. I would NOT send this to a dinner club.. lol
    (Vertigo)

In a live situation, I really try to read the room, and with the smaller gigs, it's very easy to do, by just looking around and feeling the reaction from the audience. Live playing is a very organic, real and direct experience for both us and the audience. If a few people are really digging some of the 5/4 grooves etc.. then I might call out a tune in 13/8 or the link I posted above (Vertigo) in 11/8 that our followers enjoy, but I might not play them at the dinner club if we only get a positive response from the countryish tune with slide guitar or the reggaeish tune we do, which are typically crowd pleasers to a more conservative audience. As Bill mentioned.. "Stealth" is a very real thing we are in collusion with!

It does feel like we are always walking a tightrope of sorts. From an artistic standpoint, I feel a responsibility to put our best foot forward and be true to ourselves as a band, and perform what we genuinely enjoy and feel passionate about. On the other hand, if we are being paid well, we are in a sense an employee of the booking agent or club owner and should deliver what they likely want (understandably). If we are doing a free gig, then we absolutely do what we want. In this dinner gig, I probably will keep Vertigo and Consequences of Infinity (A very abstract prog/fusion piece) off the menu lol.
    Last edited by John Miner; 05-04-2024 at 02:50 AM.

Andy Edwards released this today on his channel. Maybe he's here and saw this thread? Possible?
    Seems more than a coincidence...

A general question here:

Is a single iphone recording of a live performance, then posted on youtube beneficial? In other words, if you own a club or venue and are looking to book bands, would you rather see that or a more professional three camera shoot on a soundstage that doesn't really capture a live performance?

Quote Originally Posted by John Miner View Post
    A general question here:

Is a single iphone recording of a live performance, then posted on youtube beneficial? In other words, if you own a club or venue and are looking to book bands, would you rather see that or a more professional three camera shoot on a soundstage that doesn't really capture a live performance?
    My sense is that live video is preferable. Some phone video can be quite good, even the audio, but if you can manage it, set up a camera or two at a gig and get a board mix. It's not hard to sync it all up for a demo song or two. That's what my Tull tribute band did, and those videos are well received in pro-level venues.

My Latin jazz band uses a single camera and that camera's audio. For smaller level gigs, that has proven enough, and they actually look and sound quite good. This approach also captures the audience reaction, which I think brings a certain life to the videos.

Bill

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    My sense is that live video is preferable. Some phone video can be quite good, even the audio, but if you can manage it, set up a camera or two at a gig and get a board mix. It's not hard to sync it all up for a demo song or two. That's what my Tull tribute band did, and those videos are well received in pro-level venues.

My Latin jazz band uses a single camera and that camera's audio. For smaller level gigs, that has proven enough, and they actually look and sound quite good. This approach also captures the audience reaction, which I think brings a certain life to the videos.

Bill

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Do you have a link or two you can share or post here?

Do you have a link or two you can share or post here?
    There's a video montage from a recent Nectar show here: https://nectaracoustic.com/listen

There are videos from an early Minstrels show here: https://www.minstrels.gallery/videos...-video-samples

Each were shot using the different methods I described above.

Bill

There's a video montage from a recent Nectar show here: https://nectaracoustic.com/listen

There are videos from an early Minstrels show here: https://www.minstrels.gallery/videos...-video-samples

Each were shot using the different methods I described above.

Bill
    Thanks for posting those. It's helpful to see that.

We have a gig tonight, a 2 hour set of all original fusion/prog type stuff with a few other things. Drums, bass, guitar, saxophone doing
    instrumental music. It's an "ArtWalk" sponsored by the city and I suppose they support the idea of more creative things going on down there.. as we keep getting called every month to play. Typically it's an artsy/hippie/Deadhead crowd that seems to gravitate towards us. We go on after a groovie funk/RnB band that is really good. Maybe I'll bring an iphone down there and try to record some of it... see what happens.

Thanks for posting those. It's helpful to see that.

We have a gig tonight, a 2 hour set of all original fusion/prog type stuff with a few other things. Drums, bass, guitar, saxophone doing
    instrumental music. It's an "ArtWalk" sponsored by the city and I suppose they support the idea of more creative things going on down there.. as we keep getting called every month to play. Typically it's an artsy/hippie/Deadhead crowd that seems to gravitate towards us. We go on after a groovie funk/RnB band that is really good. Maybe I'll bring an iphone down there and try to record some of it... see what happens.
    No reason not to give it a shot. We played a coffee house recently and shot some video that came out great sound-wise. Sadly, our drummer's head was cut off (in the video, not in real life ), so we probably wont use any of it, but you never know what results you might get in different venues. Outdoor can often sound very good on inexpensive equipment.

I just got home from a gig in downtown Springfield, MA, in a venue that was literally hell for sound... very high ceilings, concrete floors. As bad as all that was, the place was packed and people loved the show... and we got paid playing music that we actually enjoy (though I wouldn't consider it Prog, or really even Fusion).

If you get any good video, post some. I'd like to see some full tunes, not just the montage.

Bill

No reason not to give it a shot. We played a coffee house recently and shot some video that came out great sound-wise. Sadly, our drummer's head was cut off (in the video, not in real life ), so we probably wont use any of it, but you never know what results you might get in different venues. Outdoor can often sound very good on inexpensive equipment.

I just got home from a gig in downtown Springfield, MA, in a venue that was literally hell for sound... very high ceilings, concrete floors. As bad as all that was, the place was packed and people loved the show... and we got paid playing music that we actually enjoy (though I wouldn't consider it Prog, or really even Fusion).

If you get any good video, post some. I'd like to see some full tunes, not just the montage.

Bill
    We didn't get any video... not from us. I did see a few people shooting us with iphones, but didn't know who they were, and by the time we were done, they were gone. The gig was good, we played really well and people like us it seems. A lot of young people complimented us and one said "you guys are real music".

We just got booked to play the huge 4th of July Festival in the Bay Area on the Waterfront. Thousands of people are going to be exposed to odd metered prog jazz fusion music!

It is possible.

We also got another gig on June 22nd at a club playing with cool surf rock band.
    I just have to believe it's important to get out and play live, and if prog and fusion etc is what you love, then it's a noble cause
    to get out and play live.

Yes? No?