Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New David Gilmour album incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Although I enjoyed it I always wondered why when it was a DG solo show he included so much Floyd even having the same ending as the 80's and 90's shows. Also disappointing how he ignored his first (and best?) solo album.
    The same reason Steve Hackett does Genesis songs for half his show. It sells tickets. A lot of people don't remember that before Hackett started doing the Genesis Revisited thing he hardly ever toured in the U.S. and when he did he was playing much smaller venues.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The same reason Steve Hackett does Genesis songs for half his show. It sells tickets. A lot of people don't remember that before Hackett started doing the Genesis Revisited thing he hardly ever toured in the U.S. and when he did he was playing much smaller venues.
    in the early 90s, Steve played in Ottawa at a tiny club that held 200 (at the most). I was sitting front row and recall Steve playing a riff of Genesis music and the audience had total attention.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Well yes, I saw Hackett many times when he didn't play any Genesis at all but by about 2010 his pulling power dwindled and he had to do the G thing which has proved very popular. I would argue though that Gilmour has a much higher profile than Hackett and doesn't actually need to play much Floyd apart from some big encores perhaps. Still, I'd be happy with Floyd tracks from AMLOR and TDB and when he releases his live album/dvd/blu rays he won't have to hand a big wedge of cash to Mr Waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Well yes, I saw Hackett many times when he didn't play any Genesis at all but by about 2010 his pulling power dwindled and he had to do the G thing which has proved very popular. I would argue though that Gilmour has a much higher profile than Hackett and doesn't actually need to play much Floyd apart from some big encores perhaps. Still, I'd be happy with Floyd tracks from AMLOR and TDB and when he releases his live album/dvd/blu rays he won't have to hand a big wedge of cash to Mr Waters.
    It's also nice because across the different projects, all the eras of Floyd are being covered.

Mason has the early stuff
    Waters has the Dark Side - Final Cut 70's stuff
    Gilmour has the 80's/90's stuff

Something for everyone
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    in the early 90s, Steve played in Ottawa at a tiny club that held 200 (at the most). I was sitting front row and recall Steve playing a riff of Genesis music and the audience had total attention.
    The vAbout Face tour in 84 came to Toronto's Massey Hall and it wasn't sold out (but filled nevertheless) and he didn't play Floyd stuff

A few months later, Waters' P&C tour filled the MLG twice (a couple of months apart) and the second hald of the show was all Floyd. From memory it was jam-packed.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It's also nice because across the different projects, all the eras of Floyd are being covered.

Something for everyone

Gilmour should sue on that account, because he's got the short end of the stick.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll stick to Mason
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

Something for everyone
    Freud would have had a blast with the 3 living Floyd's touring different music from the same group!

Hope DG plays some tracks from DG, About Face and Endless River. Maybe Childhoods End, part of Narrow Way, and Fat Old Sun. He is gonna need Comfortably Numb and 1 or 2 others because he is well, David Gilmour and his guitar and voice on PF are why most people will be there. I hope he does change it up, don't need the 6th version of some of those tracks.
    Last edited by Tangram; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Hope DG plays some tracks from DG, About Face and Endless River.
    It would be nice to hear him add back some of his earlier solo tunes. Endless River would be interesting although somehow it feels unlikely to me (unless it was Louder Than Words, but I'm not rushing to hear that live).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com