Thread: Saw the Mountain Goats Friday night

Saw the Mountain Goats Friday night

I don't know how many PE folks know this band, but my daughter got me into them over the last year or two. Indie rock, college rock, yacht rock, cow punk, even a little prog, fusion and metal. This band mixes up pretty much every rock style from the past 40-50 years, all in service to to truly quirky but very literate lyrical themes of lead singer John Darnielle. The band was hot, pulling it all off like it was no big deal.

It was great to see a band with such an enthusiastic audience. The venue was packed to the gills. They played a lot of new stuff, even though the band has been around for 30 years. And most everyone in the audience was singing along to all the new stuff. That is something I don't experience often...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I don't know how many PE folks know this band, but my daughter got me into them over the last year or two. Indie rock, college rock, yacht rock, cow punk, even a little prog, fusion and metal. This band mixes up pretty much every rock style from the past 40-50 years, all in service to to truly quirky but very literate lyrical themes of lead singer John Darnielle. The band was hot, pulling it all off like it was no big deal.

It was great to see a band with such an enthusiastic audience. The venue was packed to the gills. They played a lot of new stuff, even though the band has been around for 30 years. And most everyone in the audience was singing along to all the new stuff. That is something I don't experience often...
    They are coming to my home town this summer. I was not familiar with them, but may have to check into them based on your review.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ... all in service to to truly quirky but very literate lyrical themes of lead singer John Darnielle.
    I'm not familiar with the band's music but I just finished Darnielle's second novel - Universal Harvester - and he is indeed a good writer. I went into the book with expectations of a particular genre based on a review I had read* - but it turned out to be more of a literary work.

* Mat Osman** - bassist of Suede and a writer himself (I will be checking out some of his work soon) - described it as "a brilliantly adult Stranger Things".
    ** Mat is brother to television presenter/producer/novelist/comedian Richard Osman who writes the Thursday Murder Club novels.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01