Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull "Bursting Out" box set

I may have overplayed it in the 70s and grew tired of it....however it's a great show just not for me.

Also mentioned here that SFTW and HH period displayed an Ian Anderson singing voice that didn't quite sound like the voice many of us heard between 72' and 75'

That powerful acapella voice at the beginning of A Passion Play. The vocals throughout War Child and Minstrel In The Gallery...what a difference.

Unfortunately that quality is not present on Bursting Out. I also like other live shows a bit more...for example...the one in Paris from 40th anniversary Minstrel In The Gallery.

Got what I need from that Tull era, but I'll keep an eye/ear out there.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Dang It! I was going to skip this one.
    No you weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No you weren't.
    Well…..yes…..I won’t be out-fondled!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    but........still kick myself for not getting certain other boxed sets in this collection, so I'll probably bite the apple.
    That's the rub, isn't it?

Thanks to this thread I've been on a mini Tull binge. First time in several years. Been listening to Heavy Horses, and Storm watch. The folk trilogy is great. It was the end of an era after those albums.

I'll wait and see if there is a hi res download version, and how the track list compares with the box set. The remix of Broadsword and the Beast got a much reduced download version that came out 6 months after the box set.

I never got Stormwatch as part of a folk trilogy. It's pretty heavy, to me.

^^^Agreed. And that "trilogy" (to these ears) came out in order of quality: Songs is a definite A+, HH a B+/A-, and Stormwatch a C+ at best.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ^^^Agreed. And that "trilogy" (to these ears) came out in order of quality: Songs is a definite A+, HH a B+/A-, and Stormwatch a C+ at best.
    There were troubles with Stormwatch......John Glascock fell ill and died during this album....Ian played the bass parts for many of these songs......I'm sure the death of a 28yo band-mate was traumatic for all involved. It ends with Elegy.....for John G. IMHO
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I never got Stormwatch as part of a folk trilogy. It's pretty heavy, to me.
    It's not at all. I don't know why so many people lump it in with the previous two when Dun Ringill is about the only thing on it that would have fit on either of them. Thematically and musically it is different territory indeed. I think it's more of a chronological categorization; it has to fit somewhere, and it's not going to be with the one that followed so it has to be with the prior couple.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    There were troubles with Stormwatch......John Glascock fell ill and died during this album....Ian played the bass parts for many of these songs......I'm sure the death of a 28yo band-mate was traumatic for all involved.
    John Glascock did not die during the recording of the album, but while the band was away on the ensuing tour. Tull came to my hometown of San Diego twice in 1979. The first time, in the Spring, was a continuation of the Bursting Out tour, with Glascock back in the band after having been temporarily replaced by Tony Williams. The next time they came around was for the Stormwatch tour. The first I heard of Dave Pegg having joined Tull was when I got to my seat with the tour program. It was November 17, Martin Barre’s birthday, and also the day that John Glascock passed. Apparently Ian got the news before the show but did not break it to the rest of the band until afterwards.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

"Elegy" was David Palmer's piece for his father, not for Glascock. It was one of the tracks where Glascock played.

Binge continues. Today I'm playing Songs From The Wood (the best of the trilogy), and A.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Binge continues. Today I'm playing Songs From The Wood (the best of the trilogy), and A.
    I just got the Château d’Herouville vinyl the other day, and that’s a real delight for this Passion Play fanatic.

Songs From The Wood (the best of the trilogy)
    Correctamundo.

Listening to A right now. First time in 15 years. Great album. I love it. It's proggy, odd timey, and busy. It's as good as the previous two albums.

Listening to A right now. First time in 15 years. Great album. I love it. It's proggy, odd timey, and busy. It's as good as the previous two albums.
    I've always considered "4WD (Low Ratio)" a clunker, but the rest of the album is fine, with a snazzy opener in "Crossfire" and some major highlights in "Pine Marten's Jig" and "Black Sunday."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've always considered "4WD (Low Ratio)" a clunker, but the rest of the album is fine, with a snazzy opener in "Crossfire" and some major highlights in "Pine Marten's Jig" and "Black Sunday."
    Yeah I agree. To me me it's the last good Jethro Tull album until Crest Of A Knave, which I think is pretty good. I'm listening to Crest right now.i might listen to J-Tull.com next. I like that one too. I know most Tull fans don't like it but I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've always considered "4WD (Low Ratio)" a clunker
    Goofy song but it gave Mark Craney the chance to do a "Purdie shuffle" like Steely Dan's "Home At Last."

And as mentioned earlier in the thread, with this box we can hear how the lineup with Barlow approached this song.

This was the first Tull album I ever heard. I would like to remember it the way it was meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    "Elegy" was David Palmer's piece for his father, not for Glascock. It was one of the tracks where Glascock played.
    Thank you….. I’m misremembering my Tull lore! PE to the rescue…..again!

Songs From The Wood (the best of the trilogy).
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Correctamundo.

Desert Island disc right there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's not at all. I don't know why so many people lump it in with the previous two when Dun Ringill is about the only thing on it that would have fit on either of them. Thematically and musically it is different territory indeed. I think it's more of a chronological categorization; it has to fit somewhere, and it's not going to be with the one that followed so it has to be with the prior couple.
    I'd agree with you that it was more a chronological categorization to lump it with the Evan/Glacock/Hammond era, but then again, a lot of tracks on HH are also quite heavy, compared top SFTW.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Two of my four favorite Tull albums (the others being APP and TaaB). I can't rate them against each other; they're all just amazing albums from beginnig to end.

Oh, well, all right, "4WD" drags a little bit.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.