Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ASIA, FOCUS, MARTIN TURNER & CURVED AIR tour?

ASIA, FOCUS, MARTIN TURNER & CURVED AIR tour?

I just got an email from the Arcada Theater outside of Chicago that reads like this:

"ASIA, FOCUS, MARTIN TURNER (WISHBONE ASH) & CURVED AIR

ALL BANDS FEATURE FOUNDING MEMBERS"

I was trying to figure out who the founding member(s) of Asia could be. I see Palmer is playing that venue 4 days prior, so maybe he's sticking around a few days? The show is July 30 with tickets on sale this Friday. Couldn't find any more info online.

Hmm, that is odd. Well, this happened a few years ago, but it actually says there are no shows booked at present.

https://originalasia.com/asia-announ...y-celebration/

John Payne does some sort of Asia tour but he is not a 'founding member'.

I saw a similar tour which had two of those bands around 15 years ago. As I remember, on a later leg of the same tour the other band on the bill (Tony McPhee's Groundhogs) was replaced by Curved Air.

Oh, I will definitely go to see Focus & Curved Air. Asia with Bonilla is interesting, but I dunno. Asia without Wetton, and Howe for that matter, I don't see a point to it. It was a super-group line-up. I guess Sherwood is from YES and Bonilla is from Keith Emerson Band, so an ELP link.

Palmer has tour date opening for Jon Anderson and the Band Geeks that same night elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Palmer has tour date opening for Jon Anderson and the Band Geeks that same night elsewhere.
    So I guess Geoff Downes is the original member of Asia they are referring to.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I'd buy tickets for that in a second if I could see who is actually playing.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post

ALL BANDS FEATURE FOUNDING MEMBERS.
    Does anyone find it amusing and a little bit sad that promoters feel the need to state this as a selling point?

I am definitely going btw. I can’t pass up the chance to see Sonja and Thijs. Regarding Asia I would not be surprised if they are fibbing about the original members and we will get the Payne band .But who cares.

I would be interested in this tour if it came close to me.

It cannot be denied that Martin Turner is a founding member of his solo band.

Asia (as in Geoff Downes' band), Martin Turner, Focus and Curved Air all share management (QEDG), so this would make sense.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    It cannot be denied that Martin Turner is a founding member of his solo band.
    I saw them when they were still called Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, which I gather he's not allowed to do now. The selling point of the gig was that they'd play the full Argus album, which they did for the second half of the gig, after playing a mixture of new and old material in the first part. I guess it was common sense not to do Argus first as many would probably have left! They were perfectly OK, not remarkable (though one of the guitarists did look a bit bored - could just have been his face, like Ringo, I guess). Probably a whole different band by now though as this was in 2008.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I saw them when they were still called Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, which I gather he's not allowed to do now. The selling point of the gig was that they'd play the full Argus album, which they did for the second half of the gig, after playing a mixture of new and old material in the first part. I guess it was common sense not to do Argus first as many would probably have left! They were perfectly OK, not remarkable (though one of the guitarists did look a bit bored - could just have been his face, like Ringo, I guess). Probably a whole different band by now though as this was in 2008.
    Yes, Wishbone Ash sued Martin Turner over the name. You can find the judge's ruling online: it's fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I saw them when they were still called Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, which I gather he's not allowed to do now....They were perfectly OK, not remarkable
    I saw them and thought the same- fine but kind of tribute band-ish.

I suppose too much water has gone under the bridge for Downes to work with Payne again. I do actually really like a fair bit of the Aura album.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I suppose too much water has gone under the bridge for Downes to work with Payne again. I do actually really like a fair bit of the Aura album.
    Definitely.

The Asia line-up will be Downes/Sherwood/Bonilla and it seems they need a drummer... I presume Jay Schellen, who drummed with Downes and Payne in Asia, then drummed in Asia Featuring John Payne, and recently played with Downes and Sherwood at the John Wetton tribute show.

I do wonder how much time each of these bands are going to perform. Factor in set changes, I can't imagine anyone getting more than 45 minutes. That being said, I would go to this if they play near me. I'd imagine this would be too cost-prohibitive for these bands to do all of this for a one-off show. I see Saga is booking some shows this fall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I do wonder how much time each of these bands are going to perform. Factor in set changes, I can't imagine anyone getting more than 45 minutes. That being said, I would go to this if they play near me. I'd imagine this would be too cost-prohibitive for these bands to do all of this for a one-off show. I see Saga is booking some shows this fall as well.
    Indeed. It'll be a hits-heavy set by each band. (Presuming this tour gets confirmed!)

When I saw Tony McPhee's Groundhogs/Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash/Focus, it was about that, with Focus maybe a bit longer. And that was without a fourth band on the bill.

I saw them in a theatre- those bands normally played in much smaller club-type venues so it was quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Definitely.

The Asia line-up will be Downes/Sherwood/Bonilla and it seems they need a drummer...
    Has this lineup recorded and/or toured in the past? Haven't been paying attention for the last few years and wasn't aware of any post-Wetton Asian developments.

I see Saga is booking some shows this fall as well.
    Yeah, they're at the Arcada in October. I saw them there a couple of years ago and they sounded great. They book a lot of prog at that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    Has this lineup recorded and/or toured in the past? Haven't been paying attention for the last few years and wasn't aware of any post-Wetton Asian developments.
    This lineup has not toured or recorded together

Trying to give you a summary

Wetton died and Sherwood replaced him for their tour in support of Journey in 2017. Sherwood on bass and lead vocals, with Sam Coulson on guitar and Downes and Palmer.

Asia next were part of the Royal Affair Tour in 2019. Downes, Palmer, and Sherwood were joined by Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal on guitar and lead vocals. Howe would join them onstage for the last handful of songs with Thal just singing.

Asia had a tour with Alan Parsons planned in 2022 (I think) with Marc Bonilla in place of Thal on guitar and lead vocals. Parsons then had a medical issue. That tour has yet to happen. That would have included Downes, Palmer and Sherwood as well.

Whatever is planned for late July, Asia won’t be able to tour long as Yes begin their tour on August 14.

"Hi! We are FOUNDING MEMBERS - the ultimate prog tribute band!"
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Someone on Yesfans.com contacted QEDG, who manages all four bands. QEDG replied that the announcement should not have been made, and I believe the listing is now gone. So, no... except maybe this does indicate that something is under negotiation?

This was announced today:

CARL PALMER’S STATEMENT
    ON THE FORTHCOMING ASIA TOUR

“ I recently became aware that my friend and bandmate Geoff Downes will be touring the US this summer in a new line-up of ASIA of which he will be the only original member participating. As many of you know, I have also announced a tour for the RETURN OF EMERSON LAKE & PALMER project which I first launched in the fall of 2022 with the cooperation of the Emerson and Lake families. My commitments to the ELP project have made it impossible for me to be part of this ASIA tour. I wish Geoff the best of luck with his forthcoming tour and I plan to eventually embrace the music of ASIA again at some point in the future.”

Carl Palmer
    London, UK
    April, 2024

This was announced today:

CARL PALMER’S STATEMENT
    ON THE FORTHCOMING ASIA TOUR

“ I recently became aware that my friend and bandmate Geoff Downes will be touring the US this summer in a new line-up of ASIA of which he will be the only original member participating. As many of you know, I have also announced a tour for the RETURN OF EMERSON LAKE & PALMER project which I first launched in the fall of 2022 with the cooperation of the Emerson and Lake families. My commitments to the ELP project have made it impossible for me to be part of this ASIA tour. I wish Geoff the best of luck with his forthcoming tour and I plan to eventually embrace the music of ASIA again at some point in the future.”

Carl Palmer
    London, UK
    April, 2024
    The "I recently became aware" bit sounds a little bit annoyed! But I presume Palmer wouldn't have said this if there isn't a tour actually planned, so looks like it's on...?

Thus if this event ever happens, the only "original founding members" will be:

ASIA: Geoff Downes
    CURVED AIR: Sonja Kristina (+ maybe Florian Pilkington-Miksa ,drums)
    FOCUS: Thijs Van Leer (+ maybe Pierre Van Der Linden, drums)
    WISHBONE ASH: Martin Turner (though legally they can't be called W.A)

EDIT: I was informed that Florian Pilkington Miksa passed away in 2021, thus he obviously won't be part of this. (R.I.P)

Only 5 "original founding members" remaining now...
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:29 PM.