Thread: Old timer trying his hand at vocals

Old timer trying his hand at vocals

The song is called “The waves” . Welcoming all comments, criticisms, and critiques. have fun. Do I need autotune? Should I pose nude on onlyfans?

https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/track/the-waves
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 04-01-2024 at 12:12 PM.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

I think for what you're doing here, the vocals are fine. They kind of remind me of Neil Young, who isn't a great singer by any means, but gets by on "personality" and fitting his voice with the music. You're basically doing the same. The song is about a dude reflecting on life, and you sound like a dude.

I'd back off on the reverb and echo, which I found distracting, but you don't really hold notes long enough to benefit from autotune, and that might squash out some of the "character" in your voice. I think you'd have a hard time stretching beyond this kind of lazy-feeling, low-fi soft rock, but if this is what you want to do, I don't think anyone who wants to listen to stuff like this would have a huge issue with the vocals. I'd just dry out the production so it doesn't sound like you're lost in a cave... even if you actually are lost in a cave.

I also came to vocals later in life and had fun singing lead vocals in a classic rock band that released a couple of albums. My voice isn't that great, but I can sing in tune, and I really had an enjoyable time stepping out and fronting a band. I did it because it was fun and didn't worry too much about sales or what others thought. Nobody complained, as long as I didn't reach beyond my meager capabilities. I think if you stick with that formula, you'll be fine.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think for what you're doing here, the vocals are fine. They kind of remind me of Neil Young, who isn't a great singer by any means, but gets by on "personality" and fitting his voice with the music. You're basically doing the same. The song is about a dude reflecting on life, and you sound like a dude.

I'd back off on the reverb and echo, which I found distracting, but you don't really hold notes long enough to benefit from autotune, and that might squash out some of the "character" in your voice. I think you'd have a hard time stretching beyond this kind of lazy-feeling, low-fi soft rock, but if this is what you want to do, I don't think anyone who wants to listen to stuff like this would have a huge issue with the vocals. I'd just dry out the production so it doesn't sound like you're lost in a cave... even if you actually are lost in a cave.

I also came to vocals later in life and had fun singing lead vocals in a classic rock band that released a couple of albums. My voice isn't that great, but I can sing in tune, and I really had an enjoyable time stepping out and fronting a band. I did it because it was fun and didn't worry too much about sales or what others thought. Nobody complained, as long as I didn't reach beyond my meager capabilities. I think if you stick with that formula, you'll be fine.

Bill
    Great Comment and very helpful. Thanks Sputnik! Dude here... Yes its over echoed , The cave is in my mixpad! And I've tried recently to stretch beyond the lazy river singing and you are right! Its hard for my voice... Maybe not possible without some schooling. Thanks again.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Great Comment and very helpful. Thanks Sputnik! Dude here... Yes its over echoed , The cave is in my mixpad! And I've tried recently to stretch beyond the lazy river singing and you are right! Its hard for my voice... Maybe not possible without some schooling. Thanks again.

I did take some lessons early on, and it helped A LOT. It didn't even take that many sessions for me to get a better sense of how to breathe and control pitch. It was actually fun, because I got a lot better really fast, and have been able to make slow progress on my own since then. I'd definitely recommend a few lessons if you have the time and interest, and if you can find a teacher that engages with what you want to accomplish and not try to turn you into an opera singer.

Bill