Thread: Lost World band - A moment of piece

Lost World band - A moment of piece

I bought this album last bandcamp friday:

https://lostworldband.bandcamp.com/a...oment-of-peace

I bought it because of a very positive review I read on babyblaue-seiten.de. The more I play the record the more I start to like it. They mix prog, RIo, canterbury, folk and fusion into a very versatile album. This versatility reminds me a bit of Frogg Cafe.

Lost world band were an unknown band for me but apparently they have already released a lot. Originally they were a Russian band but they operate now from New York.

Anyone here that can share some thoughts on their back catalogue?

Like you, I recently discovered this band. I went ahead and got everything they had on CD, which is three albums. Of these, Peace of Mind I definitely like the best, followed by Of Things and Beings from 2016.

As you say, they definitely range quite a bit. I think the core of their sound is a sort of symphonic take on King Crimson, and when they stay in that mode, I think they are really great, at times quite outstanding. For me, things get a little problematic when they add vocals, particularly the female vocals, where the music gets really wispy, and I don't feel really brings much to the party. This element is least present on the new album, and most present on 2019's Spheres Aligned, which is why I like it least. Their vocals tend to be a little dippy, too, in a sort of New Agey "we are of the universe" way. They have a heavy instrumental focus, so this isn't the end of the world, but when the balance shifts, I become less interested.

If you like Peace of Mind, I'd definitely explore their earlier stuff, but I think you already own their best album.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Like you, I recently discovered this band. I went ahead and got everything they had on CD, which is three albums. Of these, Peace of Mind I definitely like the best, followed by Of Things and Beings from 2016.

As you say, they definitely range quite a bit. I think the core of their sound is a sort of symphonic take on King Crimson, and when they stay in that mode, I think they are really great, at times quite outstanding. For me, things get a little problematic when they add vocals, particularly the female vocals, where the music gets really wispy, and I don't feel really brings much to the party. This element is least present on the new album, and most present on 2019's Spheres Aligned, which is why I like it least. Their vocals tend to be a little dippy, too, in a sort of New Agey "we are of the universe" way. They have a heavy instrumental focus, so this isn't the end of the world, but when the balance shifts, I become less interested.

If you like Peace of Mind, I'd definitely explore their earlier stuff, but I think you already own their best album.

Bill
    Thanks. The vocals do not bother me all. I can be a bit of a folky_female_vocals_weeny.
    I will probably buy one or two more the next bandcamp friday. Maybe Spheres alligned and one of the older 'russian' albums to see where they are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Thanks. The vocals do not bother me all. I can be a bit of a folky_female_vocals_weeny.
    I will probably buy one or two more the next bandcamp friday. Maybe Spheres alligned and one of the older 'russian' albums to see where they are coming from.
    Cool. I would definitely recommend Of Things and Beings. If you like Peace of Mind, that one is a slam dunk, it's almost as good. Spheres Aligned might also be up your alley. I don't hate it, I just don't like it as much as the other two I got. Past that, I haven't really sampled anything, as I don't typically do download only, so I can't guide you beyond these three releases.

Cheers,

Bill

I have some familiarity with their 3 releases in the 2000's. I would have generally characterized them as hard-edged symphonic, done well. "Trajectories" has some "RIO" feel, in places.

I bought 'Lost world 1992' from bandcamp last friday. This is a re-recording of their orignal debut cassette album from 1992

It is different from the last album. The KC influences are completely absent. The same are the short songs and lot of variety. This album is much more melodic and keyboard orientated. The (male) vocal songs have a very sixties vibe and remind me a lot of the moody blues. The instrumentals are a bit more 'proggy'.

In all; not a great album but very nice anyway. Sometimes very nice is good enough, not?