Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff Lynne's ELO Farewell Tour?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    this was my experience as well. Lynne must have had 15 people on stage with him.

well, rumor has it that they're playing to backing tracks (nowadays) of years older performances. In fact, I had my doubts back in '16 or '17 when we saw them in Seattle.
    I know what you mean as it almost sounded too perfect which is often a red flag, but as you say, they had a ton of musicians and vocalists on stage so maybe it was all legit. The live album from that tour certainly sounds good.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I know what you mean as it almost sounded too perfect which is often a red flag, but as you say, they had a ton of musicians and vocalists on stage so maybe it was all legit. The live album from that tour certainly sounds good.
    The videos of Lynne's 2019 ELO tour on YT show some of the band members handling verses while Lynne chimed in on the choruses. It was the east coast leg of a tour that started on the west coast. I saw him in Tacoma (only 4 dates into that tour) and he sang everything.

A friend's band is playing at a local bar this Friday. His original bass player passed away last year and the replacement bass player can't make it this week. The bass player filling in is the bass player who fills in when the bass player for ELO can't make it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

RIP Richard Tandy (announced by Jeff Lynne on Facebook)

https://consequence.net/2024/05/rich...boardist-dead/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RIP - wonderful player.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    RIP Richard Tandy (announced by Jeff Lynne on Facebook)

https://consequence.net/2024/05/rich...boardist-dead/
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    RIP - wonderful player.
    Richard seemed like a top bloke and was integral in not only the orchestral arrangements and in the studio with Jeff, but played all of that fantastic keyboard work on the classic albums.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    So glad I got to see Richard, Jeff and the rest of the electric light orchestra in concert twice back in the day, late 1974 and early 1976. Man, they were good. I feel younger just thinking about it, and that doesn't happen often.
    Frog in boiling water

Having a bunch of insanely talented musicians on stage faking it? I seriously doubt it. Lynne is one of the most hardcore consummate musicians out there, why would he sacrifice his integrity? This isn't The Milli Vanilli Band from 1989...

As an orchestra teacher for 28+ years, I heard slightly imperfect intonation from the (gorgeous!) violist, so I know her part was as real as rain.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Having a bunch of insanely talented musicians on stage faking it? I seriously doubt it. Lynne is one of the most hardcore consummate musicians out there, why would he sacrifice his integrity? This isn't The Milli Vanilli Band from 1989...

As an orchestra teacher for 28+ years, I heard slightly imperfect intonation from the (gorgeous!) violist, so I know her part was as real as rain.

Fans of ELO II here? I love the opening track "In Old England Town" with that nasty but delicious proggy groove in 9/8

Must be true today, or in recent years (decades ?).

But I remember that back in the 70ies E.L.O had the bad reputation of using backing (playback) tapes in concerts for the orchestral sounds and the musicians were faking.

I've never seen them live and can't attest if these rumours were based on any reliable proven sources.

BTW, QUEEN had the same bad reputation back then...

Fans of ELO II here? I love the opening track "In Old England Town" with that nasty but delicious proggy groove in 9/8
    I am a fan of both the first two albums. Love the rawness of them. I kind of lost interest a bit after that when the sound became more polished. Still, I do have a later album or two, which I've enjoyed.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post

But I remember that back in the 70ies E.L.O had the bad reputation of using backing (playback) tapes in concerts for the orchestral sounds and the musicians were faking.
    Yeah, I was going to bring that up. I suspect that, in light of that controversy, Lynne would do everything he can to avoid fakery.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Love that album. Always have. Whole album is great but favorites are In Old England Town, From The Sun To The World, and especially Kuiama.
    Frog in boiling water

Must be true today, or in recent years (decades ?).

I've never seen them live and can't attest if these rumours were based on any reliable proven sources.

BTW, QUEEN had the same bad reputation back then...
    Ever tried to move around with a cello and play in tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    And why should they "move around" ?

If it's "only for the show" then J.L should hire dancers/acrobats, not fake musicians.

It's a poor excuse, really.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 05-11-2024 at 05:54 PM.

Have you ever seen Apocolyptica live? They do a pretty good job of it.

And why should they "move around" ?

If it's "only for the show" then J.L should hire dancers/acrobats, not fake musicians.

It's a poor excuse, really.
    I'm not saying they should move around, but they did. Probably because someone thought sitting musicians were to static.

Have you ever seen Apocolyptica live? They do a pretty good job of it.
    I don't think Apolyptica moved around with their cellos the way ELO did. But perhaps I should look at the DVD-R and DVD I have.

I don't think Apolyptica moved around with their cellos the way ELO did. But perhaps I should look at the DVD-R and DVD I have.
    I saw them a few years ago and they moved around quite a bit. I never saw ELO back in the day (only one of the recent re-union tours), so can't really compare.

I recall reading they used backup tapes in 1978 because the "spaceship" stage design was very hot and caused tuning problems with the strings. Also Lynne used a larger string section on the records than the three guys touring with them then so it was probably hard to get a convincing sound.