Thread: Sleepytime

Sleepytime

Very lucky to have been in chicago for the Cheer Accident/Dead Rider/SGM show Wednesday. People on either side from Madison and Toronto, fulfilling bucket list stuff. Abbreviated sets from the openers (Thymme ended the CA set with 5-person vocal madness, then said "Sorry Music" - an aside: I love that band so much...
    SGM opened with 'The Companions' from In Glorious Times and closed with 'Sleep is Wrong' from Grand Opening and Closing, sandwiching new and old material. Yes, the Wiggler lives. Art Rock or Rock Art, fabulous.

Hope you got your tickets

David

It was a great show! I caught the next night in Indy as well - significantly different setlists for Sleepytime and CA. I enjoyed both shows equally.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seeing them tomorrow in Boston
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The new SGM album is flippin' fantastic. It's hard to see where this one sits since it's still new, but man it is a monster.

Think it will end up top 2 for me, not sure if it tops Natural History
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Had to return home so coudn't make the Indy show. However, they are here Wednesday - I'm pleased as punch...

David

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The new SGM album is flippin' fantastic. It's hard to see where this one sits since it's still new, but man it is a monster.
    For me, their best by some distance.

I caught the show in Cleveland last night. Packed house, varied crowd. I had seen them twice back during their run earlier this century, and as good as those shows were, last night was even better. The performance was stellar, as was the song selection. I urge everyone who can to see them on this tour. It will undoubtedly be high on my list for best concerts of the year.

As always, click on the thumbnails to expand.

20240315_215820.jpg

20240315_223732.jpg

20240315_234050.jpg

And I'm not sure if Isolation Tank Ensemble is opening on the whole tour, but if they open in your city, don't miss them. Outstanding instrumental Prog.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And I'm not sure if Isolation Tank Ensemble is opening on the whole tour, but if they open in your city, don't miss them. Outstanding instrumental Prog.
    They are not. Different (and generally very interesting) openers for the entire tour! For which they greatly deserve commendation
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

They are being supported by Rong in Boston who are hard-core punk. Recently saw them supporting Yowie, they were fun.
    Ian

I was at that show in Chicago and can confirm it's awesomeness. They are as tight and as amazing as ever. The new album is killer. Many spins in, but still absorbing. I think that it is their most listenable yet.

It could easily be my album of the year. Unless something comes from out of nowhere, hard to imagine who could challenge them other than Present or Echolyn.

Neil

Going to see them on Monday in NYC, can't wait!

Am now in Elsewhere, waiting for Sleepytime, General Midi from a.P.A.t.T is here too!
    Wonder if he will come to Big Ears too.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Am now in Elsewhere, waiting for Sleepytime, General Midi from a.P.A.t.T is here too!
    Wonder if he will come to Big Ears too.
    Whoa - cool! Tell him I say hi.

- Matt

Didn't have a chance to talk to General Midi but he was very surprised that someone recognised him this side of the pond.
    Sleepytime were great, this was my second time seeing them (first was in RIO) so there was less "wow" effect but the show was fantastic nonetheless. I made the mistake of standing near the small stage of the last human being so it was distracting at times, luckily he wasn't on it for the entire show, just a few songs.
    Crowd knew the words, even for the new songs which is quite surprising.
    Warm up shows were very entertaining too.

https://youtu.be/V6O-IN2DnoU?si=IjeXeUoHpZmE9Bmd

https://youtu.be/8jL4EYnY1P0?si=Ug8nGG5sRTWrIT5y

My coworker just mentioned in a meeting last week that he had to stay home and take care of his wife's dog because she had to go to Colorado to play with SGM at the Stanley Hotel. I think it was just that one show. I was a bit surprised to hear that, lol.
    <sig out of order>

I was at the show in Minneapolis last week. 1st show in 22 years. Crazy Show!

The Kind City opened and were great themselves. New band which includes Blake from Bubblemath.

^^^^

You have not seen a show in 21 years?

Dude!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^

You have not seen a show in 21 years?

Dude!!!
    yeah I saw them in May of 2002 with Bubblemath in St.Paul, but I didn't manage to see them again until a few weeks ago. They came to my town at least 3 other times, but i didn't go for whatever reason. Cost, interest, or just not aware of the show coming. They weren't with Bubblemath at any of those other shows I don't believe.

Wednesday at the Cat's Cradle with Toybox Theater, a solo storyteller w/props (not my cuppa), Titans to Tachyons, interesting guitar textures but a penchant for being too loud. and SGM with a very different set than Chicago and about 1.8 times better! Thymme Jones from Cheer Accident wanders by, there to hear some music. And Michael of ProgDay reports that he is working on it

A lovely evening.

David

bump.

Marshall Bolin's new band The Kind City who opened for SGM in Minneapolis last month just launched a campaign for their new/debut record "This"

https://www.spotfund.com/story/40e54...1-08eafd93bf41

the band also includes the services of Bubblemath's Blake Albinson.

Having seen them live and heard the album (they had burned CD copies at that show), I am definitely excited for this record to come out. It is musically I guess in the Art-Rock vein, but it has it's quirky prog moments for sure.