Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: BEAT - Belew, Levin, Vai, Carey

^So much stunt guitaring!

Anyone else secretly hoping for a FZ cover or two from this band? "Ampersand," from Belew's Side One, would be another cool tune to pull out. Carey was the drummer for that tune and a few more on Side One.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Bookmarking this thread in the crazy hope that 1)there is a tour, and 2)it includes someplace within driving distance!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Apparently Fripp gave his OK to the project - both to Belew for the whole concept, and to Vai for playing his guitar parts (and maybe interpreting them a little differently).

It remains to he heard how Belew and Val, fit together on one stage playing this stuff. I never liked Three of a Perfect Pair or Beat all that much, though I do recall plying Beat more. Discipline is such a crazy masterpiece, it overshadowed the other two, and they never really grabbed me.
    As mentioned, Via is a monster and comes from another planet, but as of late, he's become a bit too much of a wanker. Watching videos of him and Satriani, Govan or other guitar freaks all soloing together, Vai just can't help himself from all his pyro-wankery! If he controls himself it should be killer!
    Not Sure how he'll fit with the other three, he almost feels like the odd guy in that line-up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    It remains to he heard how Belew and Val, fit together on one stage playing this stuff. I never liked Three of a Perfect Pair or Beat all that much, though I do recall plying Beat more. Discipline is such a crazy masterpiece, it overshadowed the other two, and they never really grabbed me.
    As mentioned, Via is a monster and comes from another planet, but as of late, he's become a bit too much of a wanker. Watching videos of him and Satriani, Govan or other guitar freaks all soloing together, Vai just can't help himself from all his pyro-wankery! If he controls himself it should be killer!
    Not Sure how he'll fit with the other three, he almost feels like the odd guy in that line-up to me.
    Agree with all of this. If Vai is the one who will be playing Fripp's parts, he's going to have to be very...er, Disciplined and leave the wankery at home.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    [Vai]'s become a bit too much of a wanker.
    That might be a matter of him doing what his own audience expects and wants. Don't forget - he played, very accurately, exactly what FZ wrote. So he can do it.

This is great because it completes the tetralogy of Alternative King Crimsons.

KC69 without Fripp = McDonald and Giles.
    KC74 without Fripp = UK (first version)
    Double Trio without Fripp = Crimson ProjeKct
    KC81 without Fripp = Beat

As to Vai, second most of what's been said: he got his start by faithfully transcribing FZ lines, and I think Fripp *likes* the idea of perhaps more of a "metal" take on his guitar lines. I remember an interview from 1990 where he said that he'd be playing speed metal if he thought he could carry off spandex pants.

Also good to see that the "bad blood between Fripp and Belew" stories are sometimes exaggerated.
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    That might be a matter of him doing what his own audience expects and wants. Don't forget - he played, very accurately, exactly what FZ wrote. So he can do it.
    egg-zactly.

Fripp on Facebook: "This is the project that Adrian Belew called me about last Autumn, a project which I support and fully encourage, and discussed with Steve Vai recently at McCabes in Santa Monica (3march2024). Even, I suggested the name."
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Please let it be a full tour.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Please let it be a full tour.
    I read 40 something dates somewhere, but it wasn't anything official so take it for what it is worth. Really want to see this.

Somebody on facebook said that it is over 60 dates.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Joe Travers? He worked for Frank, but as an archivist, not a drummer. However, he later worked as a drummer for Dweezil, and for other FZ legacy projects.

David Logeman? Not that well-known as an Zappa drummer - he became Christian, and so avoids the FZ world.
    Logeman was actually interviewed for the Zappacast by Joe Travers last year when the Munich 1980 / Mudd Club set was released.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    ^ yep, that's it.
    Vinnie Colaiuta doing this music would have been quite interesting. Don't think he tours much though as he is still busy in the L.A. studios, unless that's changed lately.

Of course I'm sure Carey will do fine at it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Vinnie Colaiuta doing this music would have been quite interesting. Don't think he tours much though as he is still busy in the L.A. studios, unless that's changed lately.

Of course I'm sure Carey will do fine at it as well.
    Vinnie is on another planet. Fun with Vinnie in 7/4:

https://youtu.be/7HyUfPWwlg4?si=JFLzSPaAQVEWq8_X

...and definitely, Carey is a badass. Going to be a great fit for this.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Apparently tour dates will be announced on April 2.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by vostoklake View Post

great post. love this

Fripp can look at Crimson from outside of it

I wonder whether Vai will play in Fripp's tuning scheme? I imagine many of Fripp's parts are difficult to play otherwise. Well, they're difficult period, but you know what I mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I wonder whether Vai will play in Fripp's tuning scheme? I imagine many of Fripp's parts are difficult to play otherwise.
    The Discipline-era material was played in the standard tuning.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 03-19-2024 at 04:05 AM.

I really hope there’s a live album or three from this.

I'm so interested in seeing Vai jam on this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by vostoklake View Post

One major difference, though : UK never played any KC material (although they did consider playing "Starless"); McDonald & Giles did record material originally intended for KC, but while KC possibly got to rehearse some of it (and a little section of "Birdman" was in "Trees", the suite they only performed once), we have no record of what it sounded like.

In contrast, the last two are strictly cover bands (I mean apart from the separate trio sets within a Crimson ProjeKct evening).
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Apparently tour dates will be announced on April 2.
    And will hopefully include Europe & the UK!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    ... "Trees", the suite they only performed once...
    If only the Jakko era KC had given us a listenable "Trees".

The eons are closing
    Possible Setlist*:
    Waiting Man
    Frame by Frame
    Sleepless
    Sartori in Tangier
    Industry->Dig Me->No Warning
    Elephant Talk
    Neurotica
    Discipline
    Encore 1: 3oaPP
    Encore 2: Indiscipline