Thread: K'mono: Modern symph prog from USA

K'mono: Modern symph prog from USA

Their second album, Mind Out of Mind, is out now on Apollon (the band, however, are American). The album has an '80s feel to it but manages to not be suffocated by its influences.

https://kmono.bandcamp.com/album/mind-out-of-mind

I've only spun the album a few times since picking it up on Bandcamp Friday, but I'm quite enjoying it. Curious if anyone else has picked this album up. (It's also available through The Bandwagon and Laser's Edge.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Mine is on order from Bandcamp. What I sampled sounded pretty good. Too bad their first one never made it to CD.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Their second album, Mind Out of Mind, is out now on Apollon (the band, however, are American). The album has an '80s feel to it but manages to not be suffocated by its influences.
    It's pretty good, but I find it lacking in a way that I can't quite put my finger on, except to say that I don't find it very memorable - in spite of the fact that it has the elements to be that way. I think the title track sets you up for a proggy expectation that doesn't last through the entirety of the work.

I'd describe it as Yes influenced with a strong 80s Peter Gabriel vibe in spots, but also influences from the psych/pop/indie scene like Tame Impala, MGMT, Mew, Beach House, etc. It's also kind of the American cousin to Regal Worm, especially the opening track.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I've seen it listed on the Laser's Edge but I first heard of it through the Prog Corner where Scot mentioned it as one of his honorable mentions for 2023. He said something like "it just missed" his main list. It's on my to buy list along with Monkey3, Z Machine and a few others.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's pretty good, but I find it lacking in a way that I can't quite put my finger on, except to say that I don't find it very memorable - in spite of the fact that it has the elements to be that way. I think the title track sets you up for a proggy expectation that doesn't last through the entirety of the work.
    The obvious 80s pop influences (very strong on "Good-Looking") will likely push some people away, but I find it delightful. I picked up Mr. Mr.'s Pull at the Stick Men show I attended the other night, and it's slotting nicely alongside K'mono and the new BBT on my daily shuffle.

I'd describe it as Yes influenced with a strong 80s Peter Gabriel vibe in spots, but also influences from the psych/pop/indie scene like Tame Impala, MGMT, Mew, Beach House, etc. It's also kind of the American cousin to Regal Worm, especially the opening track.
    I don't know the neo-prog scene well enough to compare with 80s prog bands like Marillion and . . . the other ones (sorry, I really don't know much about it), but I'm guessing there are more than a few similarities. "Good-Looking" feels like it could be a sequel to "Kayleigh" (I think that's the name of the Marillion pop hit, right?).

Regal Worm are more consciously psychedelic and "out there." I'd say the American band Moon Letters is a better comp.

^Marillion were neo-prog (at least when Fish was with the band). I don't think I would categorize them as neo these days though (just regular prog or maybe crossover).

Also, Moon Letters are pretty good but seem to have a slight metal influence due to the guitar sound. I haven't heard Regal Worm yet.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

To me the music on Mind out of Mind sounds more late 70's than 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Man
    (just regular prog or maybe crossover)
    I personally fucking despise the term 'crossover prog'. It's the most vague and artificial progarchives prog sub-genre out of all. The only reason for it to exist is because there are bands that don't quite meet the "pure" progarchives progressive rock criteria but they're still prog-sounding enough to be included in the progarchives database. But other than that, there are absolutely no stylistic guidelines on what "crossover prog" really is. It is a progarchives-exclusive blanket pseudo-category thing.
    Last edited by Czyszy; 03-05-2024 at 01:38 PM.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

^ Welcome to PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    To me the music on Mind out of Mind sounds more late 70's than 80's.

I personally fucking despise the term 'crossover prog'. It's the most vague and artificial progarchives prog sub-genre out of all. The only reason for it to exist is because there are bands that don't quite meet the "pure" progarchives progressive rock criteria but they're still prog-sounding enough to be included in the progarchives database. But other than that, there are absolutely no stylistic guidelines on what "crossover prog" really is. It is a progarchives-exclusive blanket pseudo-category thing.

I don't despise the term but a better (and more established) term imo would be "art rock." Of course if they used art rock they would have to include a whole bunch of bands who they might not deem proggy enough to be on there so they get around that by using the term crossover. Even more nebulous of a term over there is prog related. Related to what kind of prog? At first I thought it might mean an artist who has ties to prog bands but that's not necessarily the case. Oh well. Anyway, imo a lot of modern prog (at least that I've heard) does fit into art rock or crossover prog or however you want to define it. I'm ok with that since I don't necessarily need to hear stuff that follows the typical prog template all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I personally fucking despise the term 'crossover prog'. It's the most vague and artificial progarchives prog sub-genre out of all.
    I personally think labels like these in general have much less value than they did 25-30 years ago. Back in that day, it was much more difficult to hear the music, so reviews and descriptions acted like beacons or anchors to help guide or direct you to music that might fit your interests at the time. Additionally, the 21st century ushered in a massive wave of genre blending, making many of the terms increasingly less useful.

But there have been many arguments here (and elsewhere) over the years about how to define prog, who is/is not prog, and even claims of racism based on what style/genre you call something.

These days, there is little need for that. Just listen for yourself, decide if you like it, move on.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The obvious 80s pop influences (very strong on "Good-Looking") will likely push some people away, but I find it delightful.

. . the other ones (sorry, I really don't know much about it), but I'm guessing there are more than a few similarities.
    Tame Impala is pretty popular, and the last album "The Slow Rush" was dripping in late 70s/early 80s pop motifs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Mine is on order from Bandcamp. What I sampled sounded pretty good. Too bad their first one never made it to CD.

Bill
    Apollon Records sent me this cd a month or so ago, like a promo copy. It is different. I just started playing it this week and have heard it maybe 3 times. A definite 80's vibe at times and I keep thinking this is a parody. Yes very surprised to see they are from Minneapolis I figured they were some crazy Norwegian band. The front and back cover art is pretty funny.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    The front and back cover art is pretty funny.
    That made me curious, so here you go:

Tame Impala is pretty popular, and the last album "The Slow Rush" was dripping in late 70s/early 80s pop motifs.
    I had a few “where have I heard that?” moments listening to those tunes. Undeniably catchy and fun.

I'm not getting 80's vibes. I am getting early 70's, proto-prog/psychedelic vibes. Early Yes, Wishbone Ash, Man etc. The production and playing is very contemporary though, which makes the album sound really fresh and relevant.

I have both their albums and love them both. An inspired band.

Well, I got mine yesterday and gave it a spin last night. I should have probably listened closer before I bought this. The first track is awesome, but it gets decidedly less "Proggy" from there. It's not terrible, just not something I'll likely listen to that much. I'll give it a couple more spins, but this will likely be a swing and a miss for me.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Well, I got mine yesterday and gave it a spin last night. I should have probably listened closer before I bought this. The first track is awesome, but it gets decidedly less "Proggy" from there. It's not terrible, just not something I'll likely listen to that much. I'll give it a couple more spins, but this will likely be a swing and a miss for me.
    I think the title track sets you up for a proggy expectation that doesn't last through the entirety of the work.
    The difference is that it doesn’t bother me that the album doesn’t stay consistently proggy. Their previous album does this as well.

The difference is that it doesn’t bother me that the album doesn’t stay consistently proggy. Their previous album does this as well.
    I wouldn't say it "bothers" me. It's just not something that especially interests me and I doubt I'd spin it much, if ever. There's plenty of fish in the sea. No need to spend time on something you simply don't enjoy that much.

Bill

I totally understand. “Bothers” was a poor choice of words on my part.

I totally understand. “Bothers” was a poor choice of words on my part.
    I forgive you, but just this once!