Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin thread

My wife and I watched the Celebration Day DVD last night. Wow. Absolutely incredible performance, occasionally actually jaw-dropping. The set list was fantastic, and it was especially nice that they focused on the songs and didn't get too deep into individual solos and endless improv sections. I think it's Zeppelin's compositions that really set them apart from the crowd, and the power of that music really came through in this performance.

Sad they didn't do a tour around this time, but this is a fitting period at the end of the sentence for this group. Glad I sprung for this set, it's one I'll revisit for sure. I haven't even watched the rehearsal videos yet.

Bill

I was equally surprised and impressed with this. Hats off to Jason Bonham for giving it all he had when duty called - he did his father proud! The one I had the most trepidation about was Plant, but even at age 59 he more than did justice to the songs. For Your Life and Kashmir are notable to this listener though I think the whole concert was solidly delivered. It's a fitting tribute both to Ahmet Ertegun and the band's legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I was equally surprised and impressed with this. Hats off to Jason Bonham for giving it all he had when duty called - he did his father proud! The one I had the most trepidation about was Plant, but even at age 59 he more than did justice to the songs. For Your Life and Kashmir are notable to this listener though I think the whole concert was solidly delivered. It's a fitting tribute both to Ahmet Ertegun and the band's legacy.
    Totally agree. Jason definitely delivered the goods, and Plant sounded amazing. I think they took the songs down a step or two to accommodate his voice, but that paid major dividends.

Watching "For You Life" on Youtube was what prompted me to delve into this set, and it really does stand out. "Kashmir" was also just stunning. A complete tour de force where Plant sounded incredible. I never saw Zeppelin live, and while Song Remains the Same has moments of greatness, I'm not sure it caught them at a peak moment. They're obviously older on Celebration Day, but the energy is totally there, and the joy of playing is evident. I got at least a glimpse of what a great Zeppelin show might have been like from this film.

Bill

Totally agree about the Celebration Day concert. They played great and gave it their all. I doubt they could have done a lengthy tour. Maybe something akin to the Cream reunion tour. Imagine if they would have toured as Zeppelin in the early 90s with Jason and JPJ. Too late now.

Yeah they obviously put in the work in rehearsing for that 2007 show. The previous 80s reunions had been pretty shambolic.

Sometimes with reunions, once is enough. When Cream went on tour, the old Bruce/Baker arguments started flaring up again after a while.

I really like the 90s Unledded project.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I really like the 90s Unledded project.
    Me too. I have the DVD. It's pure Zeppelin to me.

I think I tried listening to Walking Into Clarkedale a while back. Didn't do anything for me. What's the consensus on that album?

^Some good material, but the Steve Albini mix is so dull. I assume Plant was behind this choice; I wish someone else had mixed it.

The best thing post-Zeppelin that Page did without Plant was Coverdale/Page. People mock that but other than the dumb hair-metal hangovers like 'Feelin' Hot', I like it. 'Shake My Tree', 'Pride And Joy', 'Over Now', 'Take Me For A While', 'Absolution Blues' etc...good songs IMHO.

I have not played Outrider or The Firm very much.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-09-2024 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Some good material, but the Steve Albini mix is so dull. I assume Plant was behind this choice; I wish someone else had mixed it.

The best thing post-Zeppelin that Page did without Plant was Coverdale/Page. People mock that but other than the dumb hair-metal hangovers like 'Feelin' Hot', I like it. 'Shake My Tree', 'Pride And Joy', 'Over Now', 'Take Me For A While', 'Absolution Blues' etc...good songs IMHO.

I have not played Outrider or The Firm very much.
    I heard about half that Coverdale/Page album on Youtube. Very heavy and bluesy. The album post Led that I really like is Outrider. Never got into solo Plant. I kinda like Ship Of Fools from Now and Zen, that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The album post Led that I really like is Outrider.
    I also really like Outrider. Chris Farlowe's vocals are something of an acquired taste, but if you can get past that, I think "Hummingbird" is one of Page's best blues adaptations ever. Totally beautiful song, and I think he treats it really well. The three instrumental tracks are also killer, "Writes of Winter" in particular. I saw Page on the Outrider tour and it was a totally awesome show.

Never got into solo Plant. I kinda like Ship Of Fools from Now and Zen, that's about it.
    I'm basically with you. I got Pictures at Eleven when it came out, but it never really clicked for me. I like a few songs in his catalog here or there, but didn't really buy any of his albums after that first one.

Count me as a huge fan of The Firm. I know they're not perfect, but I really got heavily into their two albums and saw them on both tours. "Fortune Hunter" is among my favorite rock songs ever. I also love "Money Can't Buy" and their take on "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" from the debut.

It's possible that I'm biased because it was through The Firm and Tony Franklin that I discovered, and really got into, fretless bass. That was a big draw of those records for me. I'm now actually friends with Tony Franklin on Facebook, and despite having resisted for years buying one of his signature basses, because I didn't want to be "that guy" who plays his idols signature guitar, I finally broke down and got one, and it is an instrument that was simply meant for me. I've customized it a bit to make it my own, but the fretless "mwah" of this instrument is there unplugged, probably due to the ebony fretboard, and I can finally get the fretless sound that was in my head.

So, now I'm "that guy" after all.

thumbnail_20190824_084035.jpg

Bill

Hi Bill, the Chris Farlowe tracks don't do much for me, but everything else is awesome. Love those instrumentals. Jimmy Page is a Rocker. A shame that he's not that prolific. I also have that live album he did with the Black Crowes. It's ok. Chris Robinson sounds like his vocal cords are shredded. Pretty awful.

Hi Bill, the Chris Farlowe tracks don't do much for me, but everything else is awesome.
    Yeah, I hear you on that. I'm not sure what he's thinking with that approach, it seems so phony and overblown. It really is a chore to look past.

I also have that live album he did with the Black Crowes. It's ok. Chris Robinson sounds like his vocal cords are shredded. Pretty awful.
    I heard bits of that, "In My Time of Dying" in particular, which I thought was OK, but nothing I needed to own. Celebration Day scratches that itch, and then some!

Bill

If you have yet to subscribe to this channel, it has the BEST Zep documentaries. Currently they are looking at the making of Physical Graffiti. This is the same guy that did that recent Love Beach doc.

In the past he has looked in depth at Presence, Houses of the Holy, In Through The Out Door, IV and some great looks at the various tours and the works from the Zep guys after Zep ended. Great stuff!

Jimmy Page is a Rocker.
    Well yes, but he had a broader base than that. Outrider is not terrible or anything; it doesn't move the dial either way. It's fairly conservative really.

With The Firm's debut I only like a couple of songs.

Plant's 80s output is somewhat hit and miss, but I guess he was up for doing different stuff. The first two albums hold up OK. 1993's Fate Of Nations has a more organic sound and is better for it.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The other night we were out driving and Ramble On came on, and after a few seconds the Mrs. said, "Will you quit tapping!?", so I held up my hands and there was still tapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The other night we were out driving and Ramble On came on, and after a few seconds the Mrs. said, "Will you quit tapping!?", so I held up my hands and there was still tapping.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I own Outrider but haven't listened to it years. I actually loved The Firm when it came out, I also owned the follow-up Mean Business but I had moved on shortly afterwards.

I was absolutely obsessed with Plant's second solo Principle of Moments, so much so that I wore thru two cassette copies before picking up the CD, probably from rewinding so much - for some reason the song Thru With The Two-Step haunted me; I couldn't get enough of it. I never got into his first solo PicturesAt Eleven, the third one, Shaken & Stirred, and never bothered with The Honey Drippers. But I was back on board with Now And Zen which I really played a lot, but when I tried revisiting the album some years back, I realized it's just as inexorably linked to the year it was released the same way Jethro Tull's Crest of A Knave is (released just a few months before), due to its über-80s (over)production.

That "Making of Physical Graffiti" documentary mentions something about Led Zeppelin songs that "seemed" progressive and that one was Kashmir. Well, not quite but I would say IMHO that the three most progressive Led Zeppelin songs were Achilles last stand, Carouselambra and No Quarter. But there could be more, any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    That "Making of Physical Graffiti" documentary mentions something about Led Zeppelin songs that "seemed" progressive and that one was Kashmir. Well, not quite but I would say IMHO that the three most progressive Led Zeppelin songs were Achilles last stand, Carouselambra and No Quarter. But there could be more, any thoughts?
    Middle section of whole lotta love.

^'The Rain Song', 'In The Light', 'Four Sticks'. I'd argue for 'The Song Remains The Same' as well. There's several really.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    But I was back on board with Now And Zen which I really played a lot, but when I tried revisiting the album some years back, I realized it's just as inexorably linked to the year it was released the same way Jethro Tull's Crest of A Knave is (released just a few months before), due to its über-80s (over)production.
    Yeah that one has undeniably dated. I like 'Heaven Knows' and 'Ship Of Fools'.

Manic Nirvana is a bit more Zeppelin-ish in places ('I Cried' springs to mind), but again the production is of its time.

Why don't I get sick of this song?

Black Dog.

Just randomly heard at the pub. Loud too. First Led song I ever heard. I was 13 years old in 1971 when I heard it. First full album (of any band) I ever bought with my own money. It is such a sledgehammer. Just devastating. They took no prisoners.

Why don't I get sick of this song?

Black Dog.

Just randomly heard at the pub. Loud too. First Led song I ever heard. I was 13 years old in 1971 when I heard it. First full album (of any band) I ever bought with my own money. It is such a sledgehammer. Just devastating. They took no prisoners.
    I'm with you. This was among the first non Beatles rock that I got into, prompted by an older cousin, and it was also among the first non Beatles rock albums I bought with my own money. I don't spin this a lot, but when I do, it totally rocks my world. It has what I call "swagger," which is what I find missing in so much post 70s rock music. Zeppelin were the masters of swagger, and this song is just dripping in it.

Bill

I was surprised to hear that the distorted sound on the guitar was created by stacking two compression pedals on the signal (and I assume an overdriven amp) but no distortion pedal or fuzz. I mean it is just a nasty tone.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was surprised to hear that the distorted sound on the guitar was created by stacking two compression pedals on the signal (and I assume an overdriven amp) but no distortion pedal or fuzz. I mean it is just a nasty tone.
    That sound was recorded by plugging the guitar directly into the board, so no external amplifier was used, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It sounds like a synthesiser- until now I never knew just how he got that sound.