Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the golden age of Rock?

Though my taste for prog came in the 70s, I discovered a lot of new music in the eighties and I hold that decade dearly, because is was a time with many memories.

As a general rule, I hated the 80s. I liked the Police, but I hated all the New Romantic and New Wave crap that dominated the early 80s. Decades later I got into 80s Thrash and NWOBHM. Still a I think the best rock was produced in the 60s and 70s.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    my seeds were planted in 69 with Stand Up and the Broadway Musical Hair soundtrack found their way home (courtesy of my dad - le latter was a gift).
    But TBH, the seeds took time grow until 71/2 (Beatles/Stones & stuff on the radio)... until riping in 74 (I was 11 then) when I bought Harmonium's debut and Supertramp's Crime

Somewhat similar experience to you, but 10 years earlier... I was definitely finding "rock" less rewarding starting 78/9 (AOR times), but it really started to "annoy" me around 82/3, with those Synth-pop & New Wave bands ruining my life's soundtrack.
    This prompted me to plunge in the 60's (rock/blues/jazz) by then, and paying much less attention to airwaves.
    Thanks for car cassette decks, which avoided using FM radios.

I'd basically say 87 to 76 - with a core from 69 to 73, though most rock critics would disagree.
    The 80s as the golden age of rock would certainly be considered a 'hot take' and its hard to imagine anything being better in the 80s as compared to the 70s.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

These are my Top 5, Golden Age of Rock guitarists (in no particular order):

Jimmy Page
    Carlos Santana
    Jimi Hendrix
    Terry Kath
    Tony Iommi

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    As a general rule, I hated the 80s. I liked the Police, but I hated all the New Romantic and New Wave crap that dominated the early 80s. Decades later I got into 80s Thrash and NWOBHM. Still a I think the best rock was produced in the 60s and 70s.
    There were a few "80's bands" I did +/- follow, but most of them were born in the 70's : Dire Straits, U2, Police, DisciCrimsonpline, Talking Heads

As for 80's metal, the only band I liked was Di Anno's Maiden - I thought Dickinson's Maiden did circles rather quickly. Later 80's harsher forms of metal ,ever raised an ounce of interest from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    The 80s as the golden age of rock would certainly be considered a 'hot take' and its hard to imagine anything being better in the 80s as compared to the 70s.

You will most likely corrected mentally my typo: I meant 67 to 76 (and not 87)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I feel as though if you were born in the 50’s you lived through the golden age of rock and roll. The 60’s is when it developed from many diverse styles of music. By the 70’s when you were in your teens or early 20’s it was part of who you were. I remember bands selling out arenas all the time throughout the 70’s. We’ll never see that kind of popular diversity again. My favorite year was 1973 for rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the 80s I hated everything going on around me. While everyone else was listening to New Wave, I listened to whatever rock still existed. Like pre-"success of 87" Whitesnake, Rainbow, and the regrouped Deep Purple. As well as classic 70s prog rock. I hated the fact Yes and Genesis sold out went pop in the 80s. I didn't even like 80s Rush or King Crimson at the time, but today I think both are great.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Progger for sure 😏
    1967-1975

1969:

Golden.

As a teen in the 80s I sort of felt like a musical outsider (especially where prog is concerned -the closest thing to prog most people my age were into was Pink Floyd). I wasn't much up on what was the latest bands so much or really into them (maybe a little early on). When I got into Led Zeppelin I think that made me more interested in classic rock or at least a classic rock sound (they had already been done at least three years by the time I really started to get into them). That said my gateway to prog was the 80s Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush etc then backtracking in their catalogs. The one exception was King Crimson since I think I heard their earlier stuff first.

Someone mentioned 67-75 being the golden age. I would stretch it to at least 1977 because even though you had the newer sounds of The Cars, Talking Heads, Devo or other stuff that was either coming out or just around the corner you also still had the more rock sounding bands who were rebranded as "arena rock" which was something I didn't know was not ok to like until way later.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I haven't read the thread yet but I think we can agree that the word "rock" applies to the 70s. It was "rock and roll" in the 60s. It had all different names in the 80s (punk, new wave, metal, etc.). We have to say that the golden age of rock was the 1970s.

^Well, it was also rock n roll in the 50s. I think it's safe to say that it became rock in the late 60s and it stayed that way for the next ten years (maybe longer). Punk, new wave, heavy metal/ metal could all be considered their own genres apart from regular "rock."(imo but I've seen them listed separately enough times for that to be more than just my opinion and the same thing with alternative).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

^ I agree with Digital Man. I remember reading an interview with Jim Morrison, many years ago, where he said that "Rock&Roll" was dead by 1967, and that R&R became "Rock." So I'd agree now that the golden age was from about 1966-7, to about 1979-80-ish. No one was delineating between rock, hard rock, heavy metal, prog, Southern Rock, etc. in 1968-74. It was all just.....Rock.

That age of 15-16 applies to me for sure! I started buying LPs, some old like Yessongs, Trilogy and Aqualung (which I loved) as well as Acquiring the Taste, Bundles and Foxtrot (which I dismissed - still do). Then some new like A Farewell to Kings (to which the neighbours complained). So albums before 1977 were the old ones and likewise albums from 1977 and on are the new ones - and still are

As far as "the golden age" I agree, around 1970-1975 much of "the 1% music" were the mainstream. Studying which albums that were top releases during that period is still a joy to read! So much that emerged and/or solidified those years.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

^ I agree with Digital Man. I remember reading an interview with Jim Morrison, many years ago, where he said that "Rock&Roll" was dead by 1967, and that R&R became "Rock." So I'd agree now that the golden age was from about 1966-7, to about 1979-80-ish. No one was delineating between rock, hard rock, heavy metal, prog, Southern Rock, etc. in 1968-74. It was all just.....Rock.
    Yep. I heard somewhere that it was the punk rock fans who started to call it "prog rock" but they used the term disparagingly. At some point prog rock became just prog and that's when the arguing over what is prog began.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Yep. I heard somewhere that it was the punk rock fans who started to call it "prog rock" but they used the term disparagingly. At some point prog rock became just prog and that's when the arguing over what is prog began.
    In the early 70s I remember hearing a lot of people using hyphenated-rock genre names. Santana was Latin-Rock, Chicago was Jazz-Rock, Yes was Art-rock. It was all Rock. I think when Soul music morphed into disco the separation between classic rock and soul the fragmentation started. That's how I remember it.

In the early 70s I remember hearing a lot of people using hyphenated-rock genre names. Santana was Latin-Rock, Chicago was Jazz-Rock, Yes was Art-rock. It was all Rock. I think when Soul music morphed into disco the separation between classic rock and soul the fragmentation started. That's how I remember it.
    So what is the golden age of hyphen-rock?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    So what is the golden age of hyphen-rock?
    Early 70s. Rock journalism came up with all the hyphenated labels. No one called the Stooges, or MC5 punk-rock back then. It was just Rock.

The late 60s to mid 70s was when pop rock was creative. What was played on AM pop radio was almost as satisfying to me as prog masterpieces. Until it was stripped down by disco and punk.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The late 60s to mid 70s was when pop rock was creative. What was played on AM pop radio was almost as satisfying to me as prog masterpieces. Until it was stripped down by disco and punk.
    Amen to the first two sentences. The third ... there was some good stuff in both disco and punk, but Sturgeon's Law applied as much there as anywhere else; and one of the corollaries is that the 90% will be more popular than the 10%. You mostly never heard the Good Stuff.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Progger for sure 😏
    Someone mentioned 67-75 being the golden age. I would stretch it to at least 1977 because even though you had the newer sounds of The Cars, Talking Heads, Devo or other stuff that was either coming out or just around the corner you also still had the more rock sounding bands who were rebranded as "arena rock" which was something I didn't know was not ok to like until way later.
    That would rather be to include the birth of British Punk.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    That would rather be to include the birth of British Punk.
    British punk didn't really get started until 77. The Ramones beat them by at least one full year.

Progger for sure 😏
    British punk didn't really get started until 77. The Ramones beat them by at least one full year.
    Yes, the American Punk started of course before the British, and we're talking about including 77, so that would include the birth of the British Punk.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Yes, the American Punk started of course before the British, and we're talking about including 77, so that would include the birth of the British Punk.
    Then there's also proto punk which was mostly American with the Stooges, MC5, New York Dolls, Patti Smith, etc.

The idea of Golden age is variable at least for me. I started in '64 with the early Beatles but never thought that ten years later the Golden age of prog would devour me. My first change or transition from 60's Pop to prog was in 1969 with King Crimson. Lucky for me in 1973-74 I was living in the Capital of prog rock in Montreal Canada that many call their own Golden age and it was for me as well.

The 80's and 90's were just epilogues, some shiny years but not as stellar it was in the early to mid-seventies.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..