Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovering modern American prog I'd missed

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Discovering modern American prog I'd missed

I do love me my US prog, huge echolyn and HTM fan among many others, Somehow I missed a bunch of great "modern" US prog over the decade or so, I'm now discovering some real gems that eluded me previously.

On my last Montreal trek this fall (seeing Hackett and Arena), I scored some great used US prog including Little Atlas' "Wanderlust (which is wanderful!), Persephone's Dream's "Pan" which is a great slice of symph, and Discipline mainman Matthew Parmenter's solo "Astray" (I am a big Discipline fan so grokked this immediately). Great finds.

Locally, stumbled across The Underground Railroad's "The Origin of Consciousness" which struck me as a wonderful amalgam of echolyn-like compositions and harmonies with Holdsworth-like guitar! (Coincidentally, my undergraduate thesis was inspired by Julian Jayne's seminal work of the same name that inspired the UR album).In heavy rotation, along with their other release "Through and Through" (thanks Disco Dave!) and satisfying that East Coast nineties prog itch while we await some new echolyn efforts!

Also turned onto John Galgano (IZZ)'s solo disc "Real Life is Meeting" and Paul Bremer's "the Witness". I'm a big fan of IZZ, have seen them several times and these releases are delightful (thanks again DD!)

I'm sure I've missed many more great modern US prog releases but I'm making up for lost time. There is something unique about the US symph prog sound, especially the East coast bands, that resonates with me, possibly my Joisey roots!

The Underground Railroad were always superb, IMO. Both albums are really worthwhile.

Parmenter's Astray is a complete gem of a "progressive" singer-songwriter accomplishment, as I always heard it. While I dig Unfolded Like Staircase and absolutely love To Shatter All Accord, I have arguably spun Astray more than both. There's such an intimate sense of felt dimensions to those songs, as if they're realised/designed to confront that divide in yourself that you rarely even acknowledge.

Parmenter was always interesting, always good - but this specific collection of tunes and words sits on a shelf alone.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A lot of albums I liked then have faded for me, but those two Underground Railroad albums have only gotten better to my ears. I get the sense these were smart people who actually listened to jazz and contemporary composers and made two albums that digested those influences.

They might be my favorite prog or prog adjacent albums of the millenium besides Mei-The End is Beautiful-self titled by Echolyn, and perhaps English Electric by BBT.

If you like Neo-Prog right in that spot that immediately says, "NEO PROG," Iluvatar was a band that did it rather well.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

^^^^^^^^
    Big fan. Loved seeing them at Nearfest and have a nice recording of that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    If you like Neo-Prog right in that spot that immediately says, "NEO PROG," Iluvatar was a band that did it rather well.
    Iluvatar was the band that caused me to discover the prog underground in the mid-90's. Still one of the best Neo Prog bands the U.S. has ever produced IMO. Another band in a similar vein that came and went too quickly were Crucible. Their album "Tall Tales" was a U.S. neo-prog masterpiece to my ears.

Relayer from Illinois is a great USA Prog band. The guys in the band are cool, as well.

https://youtube.com/@relayermusic600...qumWWWkuWO1ofM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Another band in a similar vein that came and went too quickly were Crucible. Their album "Tall Tales" was a U.S. neo-prog masterpiece to my ears.
    Another good listening suggestion. Enjoyed that album.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I am a big fan of modern US progressive music, and find the scene there to be the most original and interesting in all domains of prog, with the exception of maybe France. There are countless bands that deserve mention, and I am pretty sure I miss many. Names like Far Corner, Bubblemath, Mercury Tree, Stop Motion Orchestra, A Light Sleeper, Nick Prohl and the Proletariats, Zevious etc etc - and in the more symphonic range Deluge Grander, Karmic Juggernaut, Thank You Scientist, K'Mono, Tea Club - so much good and interesting music.

I believe that some of the force of weird American music of the 00's was transplanted into these more recent bands, which make them sound more relevant and contemporary to me than any retro band from Europe.

And Yes, Underground Railroad are simply amazing!

Check out Moth Vellum, their one and only album is great.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMo50 View Post
    I agree. I haven't heard Perfect Beings but MV were good. Mars Hollow were good too although I only know their first one.

Looking back through Progday and Rosfest lineups will yield a lot of American Progressive music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree. I haven't heard Perfect Beings but MV were good. Mars Hollow were good too although I only know their first one.
    I’m a big fan of Perfect Beings, especially their final album “Vier,” a rare long-form double album that holds my interest throughout.

-noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Some of my favorite US bands that are new since about 2010:

Ampledeed
    An Endless Sporadic
    Android Trio
    Coevaliity
    District 97
    Herd of Instinct
    Inner Ear Brigade
    Isobar
    Nerve Institute
    Ovrfwrd
    Squeaky Feet
    Volto

Bill

I dug Crucible so much (after turning onto Tall tales before their Nearfest gig) that we subsequently ventured to Stonington CT to see them at Fatty McGee's. They were doing all covers (Gabriel, Sting etc.) so our shouts of "Imp's Tale!" went unheeded. I did however snag a cool Tall Tales Tee-shirt! Their second LP has a great version of Crack the Sky's Nuclear Apathy.

One of my favorite US bands of recent years is/was 3RDegree.

Oldie, but a goodie.

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=777

Quote Originally Posted by KevMo50 View Post
    Agree, a good one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Perfect Beings played ROSfest one year and I really enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Looking back through Progday and Rosfest lineups will yield a lot of American Progressive music.
    Yup, lots of good "local" talent there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Oldie, but a goodie.

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=777

I loved their "Pacific Coast Highway" album. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I dug Crucible so much (after turning onto Tall tales before their Nearfest gig) that we subsequently ventured to Stonington CT to see them at Fatty McGee's. They were doing all covers (Gabriel, Sting etc.) so our shouts of "Imp's Tale!" went unheeded. I did however snag a cool Tall Tales Tee-shirt! Their second LP has a great version of Crack the Sky's Nuclear Apathy.

One of my favorite US bands of recent years is/was 3RDegree.
    If I remember my Crucible history correctly, they used to perform some shows as a cover band without their keyboard player. They might have even performed under a different name, but don’t remember for sure. The keyboard guy was the main songwriter in the band.

The last time that they played ProgDay weekend they did a Saturday night show. It was right after the keyboard player had left the band, so they were not at full strength doing a set of mostly covers. I believe they broke up shortly after that unfortunately.

Anyone familiar with this band out of North Carolina? One of my favorite albums of the year last year:

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The Underground Railroad were always superb, IMO. Both albums are really worthwhile.
    I've only heard the first, but I've heard nice things about both their albums, as well as Kurt Rongey's solo album Book in Hand.

Parmenter's Astray is a complete gem of a "progressive" singer-songwriter accomplishment, as I always heard it. While I dig Unfolded Like Staircase and absolutely love To Shatter All Accord, I have arguably spun Astray more than both. There's such an intimate sense of felt dimensions to those songs, as if they're realised/designed to confront that divide in yourself that you rarely even acknowledge.
    I never got into this band until Captives of the Wine Dark Sea. UFS felt very derivative, and I could not get into TSAA for whatever reason. COTWDS just works for me, for some reason, while their earlier albums don't. More mature? More fully realized? I can't say, but I do like it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Anyone familiar with this band out of North Carolina? One of my favorite albums of the year last year:

Yeah, I got their CD. They sound like a cross between Haken and 1999-2002 era Dream Theater. Favorite debut album of 2023.

Just wanted to mention Zechs Marquise out of El Paso Texas, they released two studio albums in '08 and '11 and very different from each other.The debut has a lot of soundscapes and mellotron while "Getting Paid" the second one while having a lot of variety did have a King Crimson vibe to it at times. Not surprising given Omar Rodriguez-Lopez from The Mars Volta has two brothers in this band and a third as a guest on the debut. Really good stuff, great players.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten