Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Djent as (Sub)genre of Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Hey, it took Magma only half a century to become a beloved band, right?
    According to conventional and/or established wisdom, yeah - although that practically means little but whoever constitutes the punters of current hipsterocracy. Magma enjoyed considerable cult status already by 1973-74.

Luckily. Or else they'd might not even been allowed to continue releasing records beyond the first two. The artistic and partly even (relatively) commercial success of M.D.K. saw to further everything. It sealed their destiny of sorts, and I still keep thanking them in my heart for conceiving that deviant treasure of sound.

Would there ever have been a UZero or a (musical) Yoshida or a PoiL without Magma? Who knows.

Would there have been any 'Djent' if not for Reign In Blood or Ride The Lightning or Nothingface?

We'll never know. Which is just as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nothingface is sooooo good!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I'll admit I don't understand the scene.

The original post with the female growler strikes me, at best... a fun novelty (wow!!!! a female growling) that wears off after about 15 seconds and, at worst, an insincere gimmick chasing a money grab. (Not unlike Disney's pathetic, transparent and shallow efforts to insert every trope they can that covers issues of the day, i.e. gender discrimination, racial issues etc. I'm specifically referring to their destruction of the Doctor Who franchise fwiw.)

I'll admit, I don't understand the scene

best
    Michael
    Djent for the Rent?

Do you normally assume that when people are doing artistic work you don't understand it is fraudulent, or just when it involves a woman doing things you don't think a woman should be doing?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Djent for the Rent?

Do you normally assume that when people are doing artistic work you don't understand it is fraudulent,
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    or just when it involves a woman doing things you don't think a woman should be doing?

no-but my impression is the band is fully aware of it and are exploiting it for whatever it's worth
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

no-but my impression is the band is fully aware of it and are exploiting it for whatever it's worth
    On what evidence? The clip I posted is 6 years old. The band has continued to play all that time, at places like Bloodstock and other events. Until now you had never heard of them- so how is this exploitation, when that is how Tati sings? I do not follow. You do not have to like it, but why are you so ready to diminish and dismiss what she is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    no

I suppose every band uses the talents of their members. In this case a versatile vocalist, so they use that talent. Just like Gentle Giant used the fact the members were able to play several instruments. So what is wrong with that?

This was an interesting quote about the time signatures Meshuggah uses: "In polymeters typically used by Meshuggah, the guitars might play in odd meters such as 5/16 or 17/16, while drums play in 4/4.[23] One particular example of Haake's use of polymeter is 4/4 against 23/16 bimeter, in which he keeps the hi-hat or china cymbal in 4/4 time but uses the snare and double bass drums in 23/16 time.[9][33] On "Rational Gaze" (from Nothing), Haake plays simple 4/4 time, hitting the snare on each third beat, for 16 bars. At the same time, the guitars and bass are playing the same quarter notes, albeit in a different time signature; eventually both sides meet up again at the 64th beat.[27] Hagström notes about the polymeters, "We've never really been into the odd time signatures we get accused of using. Everything we do is based around a 4/4 core. It's just that we arrange parts differently around that center to make it seem like something else is going on."[4]"

There is an actual academic paper on Meshuggah: https://www.scribd.com/doc/6375990/R...c-of-Meshuggah

^ I remember reading something very similar and Haake also talking about it on an online interview. Amazing. Pure math; some things need to line-up and other's don't, however it's very tightly controlled. Not unlike the mighty Magma at times, yeah?

There are times when I cannot figure out Magma time signatures. With Meshuggah, I can never figure out the time signatures. It is like they are the Don Ellis of djent!
    Last edited by Dana5140; 02-12-2024 at 07:26 PM.

For me djent falls into 3 catagories - 1 instrumental 2 harsh, cookie monster, growling vocals (whichever term you prefer) and 3 clean vocals. I prefer clean vocal djent. and find some bands fall into the metal genre and some a more symphonic prog style. I would recommend the first 2 Skyharbor cd's, Vola "Inmazes", Karmanjakah "A Book About Itself" and the new EP "Ancient Skills" and in the prog metal vein (with a tiny bit of harsh vocal mixed in) anything by The Contortionist, Erra and Disperse (especially the song "Unbroken Shiver")

I've never heard of any of these, so will definitely check them out- the value of progears!

How Jinjer’s Tatiana Shmayluk Learned to Scream

https://loudwire.com/how-jinjers-tat...ned-to-scream/

Complete Guide to Recording Death Metal Vocals (Hardware and Software)
    https://www.jasonstallworth.com/reco...thvoc-software

Cool- thanks! Will listen asap.