Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELPowell Box Set

The Enemy God

ELPowell Box Set

Cherry Red release . Nothing really new for collectors but an album that might sound better with Andy Pearce remastering

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...cruW8FTCRwUNJM

Might be interesting for the odds 'n ends and session stuff. I actually saw them on that tour and it was kind of sad. They played well, but the arena was half full if that.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

if I remember correctly this band still kicked a lot of ass live. I think the discs 2 and 3 are available in bootleg or semi-official form, wonder if anything's been done to the sound here
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Might be interesting for the odds 'n ends and session stuff. I actually saw them on that tour and it was kind of sad. They played well, but the arena was half full if that.
    I saw them too, but it was in a theater. I remember it being pretty full and a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I saw them too, but it was in a theater. I remember it being pretty full and a great show.
    They played at the decrepit Brendan Byrne Arena at the Meadowlands in NJ. Attendance was not good.

I think I'm in for this. I LOVE this album still (not so much The Locomotion that is on my CD though) and wouldn't mind a remaster. I've never heard the live stuff nor the rehearsals, so that could be cool. Never heard Vacant Possession either. I didn't see this tour, but I wish I did. Hard to believe that all three of these guys are gone.

My one main memory of the show regards Cozy Powell's drum solo. At one point, sparklers behind him start spinning and shooting out a torrent of them over him as he's playing. Some guy behind me screams, "Stop! You're killing him!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I saw them at Great Woods.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/emers...-7bcc7aac.html
    I seem to recall seeing Emerson shaking his hands every so often, I suppose because he was starting to experience his nerve difficulties by then. At some point some asshole several rows behind us decided to fling a full cup of beer in our direction.

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    Cherry Red release . Nothing really new for collectors but an album that might sound better with Andy Pearce remastering[/url]
    Cool! I'll have to get this, since ELPowell was righteous.

Thanks for the heads up. I quite like 80s ELP.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing
    They played at the decrepit Brendan Byrne Arena at the Meadowlands in NJ. Attendance was not good.
    Was there.... Remember the M80 going off?
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Was there.... Remember the M80 going off?
    Vaguely. In my drunken state, it might have actually woken me up. As an aside, a year later, fans overturned cars after an Iron Maiden concert. The rockin' 80s!

The eons are closing
    Vaguely. In my drunken state, it might have actually woken me up. As an aside, a year later, fans overturned cars after an Iron Maiden concert. The rockin' 80s!
    Was there too.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

^ We're starting to piece this together.

I would be interested if the non-album tracks and live have good sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I think I'm in for this. I LOVE this album still (not so much The Locomotion that is on my CD though) and wouldn't mind a remaster.
    tbh I don't think it needs one, it actually sounds really good! one of those albums I thought was crap when listening on headphones but once I actually got the record and heard it on a good system it nearly blew me away
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Well, it needs a Lavish Booklet with a new Essay by Mark Powell!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Well, it needs a Lavish Booklet with a new Essay by Mark Powell!
    It needs a lavash booklet, so after you read the liner notes you can have a snack.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

They could have sold me if included a DVD with promo videos and interviews, tv appearances, etc. The sprocket rehearsals and the live show were already sold by Maniticore. There are other live shows recorded they could have dug up. I have a pristine board feed right from the sound engineer in Phili PA. There is radio broadcast too, but I can't seem to find it in my collection - hmmm, who did I loan that to in the 90's that never returned it?

The show in Chicago was at the Rosemont, and they curtained off 1/2 the stadium. But, they had to have known that before they sold tickets.

Laser's Edge is taking preorders: https://www.lasercd.com/cd/complete-...n-3cd-preorder

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    They could have sold me if included a DVD with promo videos and interviews, tv appearances, etc. The sprocket rehearsals and the live show were already sold by Maniticore. There are other live shows recorded they could have dug up. I have a pristine board feed right from the sound engineer in Phili PA. There is radio broadcast too, but I can't seem to find it in my collection - hmmm, who did I loan that to in the 90's that never returned it?
    Yes, this new box set could have been more complete. It's sad considering there was a radio broadcast from this 1986 tour from Lakeland, FLA, which was almost complete. In fact, the only performances missing from it were Tarkus and Keith's piano solos (Dream Runner/The Dreamer and Creole Dance). Also, there was a live complete soundboard recording from Philadelphia, PA, as previously mentioned here. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

I was lucky enough to see this lineup at MSG, NY on this tour, and, in all my years of seeing/hearing live performances at MSG, this was the best sounding one I was ever lucky enough to be in attendance for. Loge seats, 3rd row, amazing sound. Being my first live experience of any incarnation of ELP, the show literally blew me away!

Another sad reality was that soon after witnessing this glorious event, MTV had listed a Thursday night MTV concert to soon be aired was going to be ELPowell. I remember waiting with VCR ready to record this exciting concert (a 1 hour with commercials event), but, unfortunately, someone changed the group performance that day to The Fabulous Thunderbirds instead. Needless to say, what a tremendous disappointment!

It's truly sad to think that MTV has some professionally recorded footage of this tour, just sitting somewhere in their vaults, never to see the light of day (especially considering all three members are no longer with us).

Oh well...

-------------------------------------
    www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY
    www.myriadtrio.com

Didnt they also play parts of Pictures on this tour? I have the Live In Lakeland radio broadcast that is awesome audio quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Didnt they also play parts of Pictures on this tour? I have the Live In Lakeland radio broadcast that is awesome audio quality.
    Yes, they segued from Tarkus into Pictures...

-------------------------------------
    www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY
    www.myriadtrio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    The show in Chicago was at the Rosemont, and they curtained off 1/2 the stadium. But, they had to have known that before they sold tickets.
    I was also at that show and was thinking the same thing. It was an odd site, but a good show

Quote Originally Posted by Myried View Post
    Another sad reality was that soon after witnessing this glorious event, MTV had listed a Thursday night MTV concert to soon be aired was going to be ELPowell. I remember waiting with VCR ready to record this exciting concert (a 1 hour with commercials event), but, unfortunately, someone changed the group performance that day to The Fabulous Thunderbirds instead. Needless to say, what a tremendous disappointment!
    I remember that! I thought I had screwed something up. Ha!