Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dixie Dregs 2024 tour

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTG8 View Post
    I thought that Steve Morse had retired from touring to take care of his wife when he left Deep Purple. Guess I heard wrong...count me confused.
    He retired from DP, which took up a lot of time, but he seems to have some time to do smaller scale projects.
    DP continues touring the world to this day, in any and every country where people have heard of them. Enough to take its toll on even a young spry musician.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTG8 View Post
    I thought that Steve Morse had retired from touring to take care of his wife when he left Deep Purple. Guess I heard wrong...count me confused.
    Thats exactly what he announced in July '22:

"I quit PURPLE because the tours were too long and we had a health emergency in my family with my wife having Stage 4 cancer," Morse said. "I told those guys 'I can't do this' and they were upset for like three to four seconds and then moved on. That's life, I and I wish them well and they're doing great."

Then last year, he was able to do some SMB gigs again:

"I had always been told that we couldn't do weekends only. That it just wouldn't be possible to pay everybody and not be paying out of pocket to play. However, when we did the math with three people, it was possible in many cases to make it work. And the reason for the short length is so I can be home 90 percent of the time and possibly drag my wife with me, and line up all the medical appointments and everything. The idea was to make it possible so I could play some shows and not feel like I'm shortchanging what I could really help with by being home. It has made a huge difference in being a medical advocate through all the crazy stuff that's happened, and the surgeries and complications. There's so much to do with that."

With these Dregs tours being a week at a time, sounds like he may still be factoring in his caring for his wife.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Saw this tour the other night. Both bands were extremely impressive, very enjoyable. SMB did a really cool tune with both Morse and LaRue doing a fretboard tapping duet/clinic. The Dregs were so tight, Rudess fits right in like a glove and the violin playing was superb. Special guest was guitar player from Thank You Scientists, for a sweet jam with Steve.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    He retired from DP, which took up a lot of time, but he seems to have some time to do smaller scale projects.
    His wife passed earlier this year.