Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PE's 25th ANNIVERSARY - Thanks & Thoughts

PE's 25th ANNIVERSARY - Thanks & Thoughts

PE! Look at you! All grown up. 25 this year! I've turned your old bedroom into a studio. Hope you don't mind. Don't worry, I didn't toss any of your stuff. In fact, it's all here since we moved into what we call PEv3.0. Over a million posts! Wowsa!

I've penned a few anniversary threads over the years but 25 is BIG milestone! I have to stop and pause for a minute and let this sink in...

What an interesting journey it's been. It's like the internet grew up with us, didn't it? In some ways it got too big and lost a lot of heart along the way. Yet, here, we've managed to remember who we are and what we do best. Which is bring some of the most enduring progressive music discussion to the 'net. I know that sounds bold, but I think at the 25 year mark we can sit back and know we made a difference in 1000s of reader's lives. I think the unique quality of our membership and your open minds and hearts are the key to our longevity.

I ran across an interview I did in Progression Magazine for our 10th Anniversary today in my FB memories and it got me thinking a lot about PE and it's legacy. 10 years seemed like a milestone, but we were not even at the halfway mark yet. Amazing to think of that now. The interview had a slightly corny headline, "A Proggy Cyber Oasis". I'm getting visions of palm trees and sand when I see it now. It does pretty much nail what PE has managed to remain though. There's something reassuring about being able to come here all these years later and enjoy the civil tone and general calm that PE has settled into as it matured. All while the pace of life on the 'net and off accelerated greatly. There's a lot of uncertainty out there, yet here, it feels untouched for the most part. I think it boils down to all of you being great people that have remembered how to have a civil, intelligent exchange of thoughts and opinions and, out of those, a respect that belies this current age. That's really amazing.

Feeling nostalgic and giving thanks for 25 years of mostly positive memories. No, it wasn't always easy and we lost some great friends and artists along the way who enriched our lives in countless ways. The motivation to share music info in a selfless way has always been the focus here, and have some fun doing it. I think that kept PE's heart in the right place. We won anyway. All these years later our daily readership is basically the same size as it was over a decade ago, despite a world of other options - FB, You Tube, You Name It... The value of words lives on here, without the cross-talk of a million voices all yelling at once. Being able to "go long" and expound on any variety of subjects in a world of short attention spans is a rarity and what made/makes PE so...necessary. Your continued belief in PE shows there is still a need and desire to do that.

I feel blessed to have so many friends from here still be part of my life all these years later and I miss those that have passed on. Big thanks to Duncan and Cozy for their tireless love and dedication that has kept PE going long after I needed to climb new mountains. You two own the hearts and minds of PE in a way I can only applaud from afar.

Bigger thanks to all of you for sharing so much here and making it an 'encyclopedia' of progressive music and so much more. I never dreamed a little Yahoo Club would become all this. Never in a million years. I'm sure am glad it did.

Much love to you all,

-ST
    Last edited by Sean; 01-20-2024 at 11:28 AM.

Happy 25th Birthday to us all, it’s been one epic ride, as it should be in prog circles. I’m pleased to have been along for every year of that journey, right back to that little Yahoo group.

Thank you to Sean, Duncan, Cozy and those others who keep the good ship afloat.

Only been here a couple years but love the intellgent writing and I have discovered all sorts of musical avenues to explore!

I lurked for a number of years on 2.0. It was a different place to express an opinion.
    3.0 rules. It is a regular stop for all things musical and prog adjacent.
    I never would have attended a fest if not for PE.
    My music collection ( and certain vendors ) have benefited greatly for the vast amount of information and thoughtful discourse about the music I love.
    And actual friends IRL. And HTTPS !!!
    The work that you and the mods have put into keeping PE on track and not turning into a dumpster fire is very much appreciated.
    Thank You. More please.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Happy birthday and a big thank you to the originators and moderators. I've met great people here. And learned quite a lot about progressive music in all it forms.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Sean that was a great, heartfelt piece of writing.
    Happy birthday and most of all thanks for creating this place !
    I will probably never meet anyone here in person, but it feels like a safe place to discuss music with open-minded people who have a good sense of humor and a great knowledge of progginess and unprogginess. Nobody here yells or strives for attention.
    (Yes-related threads add a whole other dimension to the experience btw.)

The eons are closing
    We're still rolling.....

And that's a good thing.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Big thanks to all who keeps it going.
    Administrators, moderators, contributors... warts and all.

Congratulations on a fantastic milestone, to all of us, really, but to Sean, Cozy and Duncan especially, who keep the trains on the rails. I still check in here daily, often multiple times a day, and I never know what I'll discover. Life without this place would be emptier, and I really appreciate and enjoy the discussions and people who keep things interesting.

Bill

This site was kind of my portal into rediscovering progressive rock in the late 90s after being a huge fan in the 70s. It was through ProgEars that I found out about and attended my one and only NEARfest in 2003 and was able to see some of my new faves: The Flower Kings, Glass Hammer, Kraan, Anglagard and an old fave I thought I'd never get to see play live, Camel. That weekend is still fresh in my memory. So thanks to the Progressive Ears crew.

Happy 25th Birthday! Congrats to the originators and moderators and a big thank you to all for contributing.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Happy 25 PE!
    I can't believe I've been coming here for 22 years!
    Thanks to PE ,I have a PHD in prog!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Happy Anniversary, baby. Got you on my mind!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Been here long enough that I can't honestly recall when I started. Maybe 20 years?

Been turbulent times, weird situations and some idiotic conflicts along the way, but also a metric ton of great conversations, lots of wonderful friends (someone of whom indeed became friends away from PE, even in person), and a huge amount of amazing musical discoveries.

So yeah, happy birthday, thanks for the good times, kudos to Duncan, Cozy and Sean for encouraging us to keep it above the belt, and much appreciation to everyone here whose contributions helped make this joint what it is today
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

To me, these old-fashioned forum websites offer an experience that social media does not. I use both as they each have their strengths, but the 'white paper' conversation aspect of a place like PE is where you're bound to get more across, and get to know people better. People here don't tend to speak in bite-size chunks (or offer up only the sides of them that make their lives look enviable). It's more in-depth, and I feel people actually read what I have to say here, rather than succumbing to the urge to quickly scroll past everything, giving it all cursory 'likes' along the way.

I think PE remains because over the long, gradual settling of dust, we've arrived at a place of greater civility than perhaps in the past (and certainly in comparison with the aforementioned social media). Places like PE are pretty much a necessity for me as an outlet for discussion of my biggest passion: rutabagas. But also my second biggest passion: music.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great post Sean, says it all for me!

Special thanks to all of the administrators & moderators, past and present who have kept everything on the rails.

I am also very grateful for all of the informed music related opinions and suggestions I have gotten from this website over the years.

Thank you all very much!

Met a lot of great peeps and made some good friends as a result of this place...except for Lino, never liked that guy Not to mention the ridiculous amount of incredible music I've been turned onto along the way. Not as active as I was in the past, but still check in daily. I do miss the private messages though...some absolutely hilarious memories in those things

Congrats on 25 years! I wonder what Omega Monkey is up to these days...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Happy 25th PE and all who have made it happen over the years! I started posting in 07, but lurked for a couple years or so before that. Agree wholeheartedly with Sean that this is a welcome oasis in the sea of sewage that is most of social media. For me, PE has been the wormhole that opened up an entire quadrant of the musical universe for exploration. My horizons are so much broader than they used to be - thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I discovered this site in 2012 and have been a daily visitor ever since. Great job Sean!

Awesome. Here's to another 25!
    Thank you guys for all the hard work.
    I do believe its time for another donation!
    Slainte Mhath!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I was hanging around on the old usenet progressive rock forum. At one point it got more and more troll infested and less and less posts from serious fans. I found out that people were moving to this place called progressive ears.that was probably around 20 years ago .

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sean, Duncan, Cozy, you have created a unique experience on the web. 25 years is unbelievable. I've been part of this journey for 20 years. PE is a wonderful place to listen and learn and try to contribute. I've learned a ton about progressive rock and the members are outstanding. I don't know if I'll make it to 50 but I'll be around as long as I can read in type. I made real friends here is the past and now have cyrber friends that could easily been in person friends - Jed, Lorne, Mark, Digial man, many others. When my internet went down I experience withdrawal symptons.

The best place on the web to share stories about progressive rock. I love posters who show humour, humility and honesty. Very little if any flame wars these days largely due to people aging and learning the rules. Bravo!!!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-20-2024 at 12:41 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

A very happy birthday and thanks to those who make it happen. It is an extremely pleasant and safe from abuse place to visit and post, and for that we should all be grateful.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I was hanging around on the old usenet progressive rock forum. At one point it got more and more troll infested and less and less posts from serious fans. I found out that people were moving to this place called progressive ears.that was probably around 20 years ago .
    Same here. It was a great place to land after usenet imploded. It's still around, but is 95% spam.

Congrats to everyone here, especially Sean, Dunc, Cozy, etc. This place has truly shaped my listening over the years , and a yuge chunk of my (now) favorite music was discovered by discussions and recs here. I have made great friends here as well. Here's to another 25 years of camples, box set fondling, Canterbury binges, mellotrons, and endless bickering over Yes and Genesis